GWILT, JOSEPH #
- Born: 1784 Died: 1863
Architect, of London, for biography and works of whom see Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (3rd edn., 1995). Joseph Gwilt entered the competition for a design for a memorial to Lord Nelson in Dublin in 1806, but was unsuccessful.(1) Much later, in 1841-43, he collaborated with his son John Sebastian Gwilt (1811-1890) in designing additions to Markree Castle, Co. Sligo, for E.J. Cooper. Gwilt was appointed surveyor to the Grocers' Company in December 1823.(2) For some months in the summer of 1834, after the Company had removed their agent in Co. Derry, Charles Warner, from his position, Gwilt acted as agent until the arrival of Warner's replacement, John Wiggins, in October.(3)
(1) This design was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1813, no. 841.
(2) James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 163.
(3) Curl, op. cit., 168.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for GWILT, JOSEPH #
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NELSON MONUMENT|
|Refs:||Design for column exh. RA 1813, no. 841|
|Building:||CO. SLIGO, MARKREE CASTLE|
|Nature:||Adds. including interiors of drawing room, boudoir, ante-room and chapel executed in carton pierre by Wallet & Hubert, Paris. With his son John Sebastian Gwilt, for E.J. Cooper. ('Beautiful and costly' fittings of chapel presented to diocese by the Misses Cooper in 1882. To be installed in synod hall.)
Drawings dated 1842 in RIBA drawings collection, see Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects G-K (1973), 78, no. 18; design 'as now completing' exh. by J.S. Gwilt at RA, 1843, no. 1214; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 145, 7 Oct 1882, 708.