GUNNIS, JOHN WILLIAM
- Born: 1862ca Died: 1925
County surveyor for Co. Longford, 1891-1914. John William Gunnis, who was born in Windsor, Berkshire, in 1861 or 1862, was the eldest son of James W. Gunnis, described in the English census of 1871 as 'Musician to the Queen', and his wife Ellen. He trained as an architect, serving his articles with Alfred Drewe of Margate (his mother's native town) and then acting as an assistant to Hubert Bensted and to Ruck, Son, & Smith, both of Maidstone, before returning to the office of Alfred Drewe. He was living in lodgings in Dover in April 1891. He must have sat the competitive examination for Irish county surveyors at about this time, as he was appointed county surveyor for Co. Longford in December of the same year, succeeding to the post vacated by JOHN OUSLEY BONSALL MOYNAN. A hard-working and conscientious man, he began to suffer from ill-health during 1913 and in December resigned as from 10 January 1914.(1) He was succeeded by VALENTINE DENIS DOYLE.
Gunnis appears to have retired to England. He died in Margate on 24 April 1925, survived by his wife Charlotte, who, according to his 1911 census return, came from Co. Armagh, and had married him in 1899. He had no children. In his census return he declared his religious affiliation to be 'Nil', the enumerator noting on the form 'Further information refused'.
Incorporated Association of Municipal and County Engineers: elected member, 28 Apr 1892.(2)
RIBA: elected associate, 1889; resigned 1904.
RSAI: elected member 6 June 1892.(3)
Address: Home: 4 Demesne, Longford, 1911.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 800, from the English censuses of 1871 and 1891 and from the Irish census of 1911.
(1) Longford Independent, 22 Nov, 13 Dec 1913 (B.O'D.).
(2) Proc.IAMCE 35 (1908-9), list of members.
(3) JRSAI 22 (1892), 205.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for GUNNIS, JOHN WILLIAM
|Building:||CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TEMPLEMICHAEL PARISH)|
|Nature:||Carved oak pulpit.|
|Refs:||IB 44, 10 Apr 1902, 1108|
|Building:||CO. ROSCOMMON, KEADUE, CHURCH (CI, KILRONAN PARISH)|
|Nature:||Remodelled and repaired.|
|Refs:||IB 46, 5 Nov 1904, 750|