Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and quantity surveyor, of Dublin. Nothing is known of Edward P. Gribbon's origins and early life apart from the fact that he was probably born circa 1821. According to the English census of 1841, Edward P. Gribbon, architect, then lodging at 29 Hart Street, Blomsbury, London, was twenty years old and had been born in Ireland. The census was presumably taken while Gribbon was working as an assistant to the London architect Thomas Leverton Donaldson.(1) He may have returned to Ireland as the result of winning the competition to design Ormond Quay Presbyterian Church circa 1845. He appears in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1846 with an office at No. 4 Ormond Quay Lower, next to the church. During the next few years, he moved office several times; in 1857 he was at 1 D'Olier Street, in premises which are described in the Post Office Dublin Directory for that year as the 'office for the sale of Gribbin's patent window movements'.(2) He practised as an architect and quantity surveyor in Dublin until 1860, when he was appointed quantity surveyor to the War Department in Ireland.(3)

After 1860 Gribbon seems to have given up the architectural side of his business and to have practised as a quantity surveyor only. This change of career was remarked upon in an article in the Dublin Builder of 1 August 1862 on Magee College, Derry,(4) which Gribbon had designed. Gribbon, the writer observes, 'of late appears to have given himself up to the more profitable occupation of an arbitrator and building surveyor, being, as is well known, Government Quantity Surveyor to the War Department, besides being one of the most popular building surveyors in ordinary practice'. He continued to practice as a surveyor until the 1890s, from circa 1874 until 1896 in partnership with WILLIAM BUTLER.  WILLIAM BUTLER.

Gribbon appears to have died in the late 1890s.(5) Henry Edward Gribbon, presumably his son, who was also a surveyor and valuator and who had shared the office at 54 Harcourt Street from 1882, was practising as a surveyor and valuator from his house in Moyne Road, Rathmines, in 1900.(6)   During the period when Edward Gribbon was still practising as an architect, his pupils and assistants included WILLIAM JOSEPH BARRE  WILLIAM JOSEPH BARRE and CHARLES OWENS CARROLL.  CHARLES OWENS CARROLL.

RIAI: proposed as member, 22 January 1853;(7) elected associate, 21 May 1863;(8) proposed as member by GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON , seconded by ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY  ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY and JAMES HIGGINS OWEN 13 N JAMES HIGGINS OWEN 13 N ovember 1878, elected 28 November 1878;(9) as a surveyor declared not eligible to remain member under new by-law, 1885.(10)
RSAI: elected member 3 March 1858, proposed by RICHARD ROLT BRASH. RICHARD ROLT BRASH. (11)

Geological Society of Dublin:  admitted member, 14 Jan 1863.(12)

Addresses:(13) 4 Ormond Quay Upper, <=1846-1848; Ulster Chambers, 8 Dame Street, 1850; 61 Gardiner Street Lower, 1851-1855; 1 D'Olier Street, 1856; 1 D'Olier Street & Scribblestown House, Cabra, 1857; 57 Gardiner Street Lower & Fonthill Abbey, Rathfarnham, 1858-1861; 72 St Stephen's Green, 1861-1864;(14) 72 & 73 St Stephen's Green, 1865-1870; 73 St Stephen's Green, 1871-1872; 64 Upper Sackville St, Dublin, and 4 Donegall Square East, Belfast, 1873;(15) 64 Upper Sackville Street, 1874; 37 Dawson Street and Munster Club, Cork, 1875; 37 Dawson Street and Belfast, 1876-1882 (also Gribbon & Butler, 37 Dawson Street and Cork, 1881-1882); 54 Harcourt Street and Belfast, 1883-1884 (also Gribbon & Butler, 54 Harcourt Street and Belfast, 1883-1886); 54 Harcourt Street, 1886-1898.

Home: 49 Kenilworth Square, Rathgar, 1873-1875; 78 Palmerston Road, Rathmines, 1881-1882.

See WORKS.



References



(1) Note by Hugh Dixon in B of I files, source not given. For Donaldson see Colvin (under James Donaldson).
(2) Gribbin  exhibited a model of his window desing at the Architectural Exhibition, London, in February 1855, when it was described as 'an ingenious contrivance, by means of double hinging and slide, to admit of window sashes being taken out without unfixing the beadss, and at little cost' (Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 18 (Feb 1855), 36). 
(3) DB 2, 1 Mar 1860, 225.
(4) DB 4, 1 Aug 1862, 194.
(5) According to Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories, his name ceases to appear in 1899 or 1900; in the Post Office Dublin Directory for 1900 Mrs Gribbon and Miss Annie E. Gribbon are the only names listed under 54 Harcourt Street.
(6) Post Office Directory 1900.
(7) RIAI council meeting minutes, 3 Jan 1853, 109; general meeting minutes, 22 Jan 1853, 113.
(8) RIAI council minutes, 8 May 1863, 5; general meeting minutes, 21 May 1863, 127.
(9) RIAI council meeting minutes, 13 Nov 1878, 213; general meeting minutes, 28 Nov 1878, ?.
(10) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Mar 1885, 241.
(11) JRSAI 5 (1858-59), 33.
(12) Irish Times, 15 Jan 1863.
(13) From Pettigrew & Oulton's, Post Office and Thom's directories (or Jones's transcripts therefrom) unless otherwise stated.
(14) DB 3, 15 Jun 1861, 547.
(15) IB 15, 15 Jan 1873, advt.


25 work entries listed in chronological order for GRIBBON, EDWARD P.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ORMOND QUAY UPPER, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1846-7;1859
Nature: EPG wins competition for designing church, 1846. Enlargement by removing schoolhouse at rere in Strand St, 1859. (Demolished and ground floor facade incorporated into new office building, 1989.)
Refs: RHA 1848, nos. 293,336,344; 1859, nos. 317,352,357 (as 'church built by the late Rev. R. Dill'); RSA, 1849; illus. in Slater, Directory of Ireland 1846; DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 160; B 17, 17 Dec 1859, 829;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 113.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RUSSELL STREET, BREWERY (FINDLATER & CO.)
Date: 1852
Nature: EPG supervises erection of brewery between Russell & Portland Sts to designs by Davidson.
Refs: B 10, 13 Nov 1852, 720

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, NORTHLAND ROAD, MAGEE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Date: 1853;1856;1859-60
Nature: Design selected in competition. FS laid, Aug 1856. Building delayed; 'approaching completion' in Dec 1859. Builder: Matthew McClelland, Derry. Resident archt: Stewart Gordon. C of W: Arthur Kent.
Refs: B 11, 30 Jul 1853, 484; 12, 15 Apr,18 Nov 1854, 198,594; 14, 30 Aug 1856, 470; 17, 17 Dec 1859, 829; DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 155; 2, 1 May 1860, 250; 4, 15 Apr,1 Aug 1862, 89,194,194,195(illus.); IB 20, 1 May 1878, 133(illus.); 36, 15 Nov 1894, 255(illus.); design exh. RHA 1852 (no. 350) and ?1859 (nos. 319,322, described as 'Collegiate buildings')

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ATHLONE, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1858)
Date: 1858-59
Nature: 'On the new quay'. For Rev. J. Mawhinney. Builder: R. Smith (estimated costc.£800). Nearly finished by 1 Dec 1859.
Refs: B 16, 23 Oct 1858, 712; 17, 17 Dec 1859, 829; DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 165; RHA 1859, no. 321; Westmeath Herald and General Advertiser, 25 Jun 1859 (advt. for tenders)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CANNOCK, TAIT & CO.
Date: 1858-59
Nature: Alts. & adds. with William Fogerty. Builder: Quinn, Dublin.
Refs: B 16, 10 Apr 1858, 250; DB 1, 1 Feb 1859, 17

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JONES'S ROAD, FLOUR MILLS (TODD)
Date: 1858;1859
Nature: New mills for Andrew Todd & Co., 1858. Builder: Cockburn & Sons. Cost: ca £15,000. Adds.,1859. Builder: S.H. Bolton.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, NO. 007 (ROBERT GATCHELL)
Date: 1859
Nature: New front &c.for Mr Gatchell, late of Pill Lane. Builder: J.Quin. Cost exceeding £2,000. Completed by 1 Dec 1859.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Jun,1 Dec 1859, 71,164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S QUAY, NO. 028-32 & 36 (THOMAS HEITON)
Date: 1859
Nature: Roofing over of coal yard. Contractor: Thomas Paul.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, NO. 064-65 (ADAM F. MCDONALD)
Date: 1859
Nature: Alts. & imps.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 050 (TELFORD'S CRYSTAL PALACE)
Date: 1859
Nature: New premises, for John Telford.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Jun 1859, 71

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARY STREET, NO. 047 (TODD, BURNS & CO.)
Date: 1859
Nature: Extensive adds. & imps. to monster house.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Aug,1 Dec 1859, 103,160; 2, 1 May 1860, 259; B 17, 17 Dec 1859, 829

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ORMOND QUAY LOWER, NO. 002
Date: 1859
Nature: New house for law chambers. For M. Dooner. Builder: T. Murphy.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SACKVILLE PLACE, NO. 004 (MAURICE BROOKS)
Date: 1859
Nature: Remodelling of premises formerly factory of Dawson, coach builders. Coach yard roofed over & floored in to make central aparment 'larger than an ordinary church'.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIR JOHN ROGERSON'S QUAY, NO. 037-38 (CHARLES CONNOLLY)
Date: 1859
Nature: New warehouses.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 034-38 (VERDON'S HOTEL)
Date: 1859
Nature: Renovation. New cement fron with Corinthian pilasters.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Nov 1859, 145

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM ROAD (TERENURE), WASDALE HOUSE
Date: 1859
Nature: Villa with gate lodge and terrace for W. Vincent, 'facing Sir Robert Shaw's demesne'. Builder: T. Robinson.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, PORTMAHON HOUSE
Date: 1859
Nature: Adds., for A. McDonald. Builder: Robert Farrell.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH & SCHOOLS
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: Said to be going to be erected to EPG's design, but then competition held in which EPG was an unsuccessful entrant.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164; 2, 1 Mar 1860, 211; B 17, 17 Dec 1859, 829

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ?, MSSRS. FORTUNE
Date: 1859a
Nature: Design for 'Messrs Fortune's Buildings' exh. RHA 1859. (Fortune's had premises in Golden Lane, Whitefriar St, Capel St, Wexford St and Harry St in 1863.)
Refs: RHA 1859 (no. 355).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DUNGANSTOWN
Date: 1860
Nature: Farm offices, for W. Wright, Esq.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jan 1860, 185

Building: CO. DUBLIN, COOLEGAD
Date: 1860
Nature: Improvements to farm offices, for Mr Fox.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jan 1860, 185

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET, NO. 087 & 88 (ALEXANDER THOM)
Date: 1860
Nature: Extensive adds. Builder: Andrew Halston.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Dec 1860, 375

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHURCH STREET, NO. 028-30 (SAMUEL VINCENT & SON)
Date: 1860
Nature: Rebuilding of front portion of foundry with large show rooms for patterns & castings. Builder: S.H. Bolton.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164; 2, 1 Dec 1860, 375

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DUKE STREET, NO. 023-24 (JOHN COLCLOUGH)
Date: 1860
Nature: Extension of premises completed. Builder: Rosborough
Refs: DB 2, 1 Dec 1860. 375

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SCRIBBLESTOWN HOUSE (ASHTOWN)
Date: 1860
Nature: Extensive improvements for Dowager Lady Clanmorris.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Dec 1860, 375