Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer with the Board of Works. Robert Dwitt Gray, son of RICHARD ARMSTRONG GRAY RICHARD ARMSTRONG GRAY , was born at Skerries, Co. Dublin, on 2 April 1861. He was educated privately and at Windermere College. During his apprenticeship, which he served with his father, he was engaged in the construction of the Carlisle and swivel bridges over the Liffey. In 1884 the Board of Public Works placed him in charge of the construction of the Boat Strand Fishery Pier in Co. Waterford,(1) and in 1885 he was appointed Superintendent of the Howth Harbour Works, a position which he held until at least 1908. He was also Superintendent of the Kingstown Harbour Works from 1898 and of Dunmore East Harbour, Co.Waterford, from 1901.

Gray married in 1883 Juliet Emma, youngest daughter of William Symes, MD, of Skerries, by whom he had three sons.

ICEI: elected associate, 2 June 1880;(2) no longer on list of members by 1896.

Address: Fortfield House, Upper Rathmines, 1887;(3) Harbour Lodge, Dun Laoghaire, 1908; 22 Crofton Road, Dun Laoghaire, 1911.(4)



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biography of Gray in E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 257.

(1) Thom's Directory for 1883 names 'R.A. Gray, CE' as engineer to the Office of Irish Fisheries; is Robert De Witt Gray intended here?
(2) TICEI 13 (1879-80), ?.
(3) TICEI 17 (1885-6), list of members.
(4) Census of Ireland, 1911.


1 work entries listed in chronological order for GRAY, ROBERT DWITT


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. WATERFORD, BOATSTRAND, FISHERY PIER
Date: 1884
Nature: In charge of construction, for Board of Works.
Refs: TICEI 13 (1879-81), ?.