Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Builder, of 5 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin, listed as such in Wilson's Dublin Directory for 1819 and 1820. He may be the James Graham of Clarendon Street who was described by his fellow tradesmen in March 1834 as having been a 'very extensive' employer, who had retired but was 'still alive & wealthy'.(1)

Various other occurrences of this name may refer to the same person or to a relative. In 1806 Bryan Bolger records measuring 'plastering and painting done for Mr James Graham at Alderman Carleton's concerns Eustace Street'.(2) At Michaelmas 1809 a James Graham was admitted a Freeman of the City of Dublin by Grace Especial as a member of the Carpenters' Guild; another James Graham was admitted at Midsummer 1820, also as a member of the Carpenter's Guild, but by virtue of Service, that is as having completed his apprenticeship to a Dublin freeman of the relevant trade.(3) On 1 November 1832 a James Graham was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture.(4)



References



(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(2) Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/125.
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 57,58.
(4) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).