- Born: 1849 Died: -
Engineer-in-chief to the Great Southern and Western Railway Company from 1907 or earlier until circa 1920. Albert Gordon, son of the Rev. John Bagwell Gordon, was born in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, on 29 July 1849. He studied engineering at Trinity College, Dublin, graduating as Senior Moderator and Gold Medallist in 1871 and receiving the Diploma of Engineering the following year. In September 1872 he became a pupil of JAMES PRICE  and was subsequently Price's assistant until December 1874, when he was appointed assistant engineer on the Great Southern and Western Railway In November 1878 he was appointed district engineer of the railway's southern district and in about 1907 was promoted to the position of engineer-in-chief. In that capacity he designed a new eighty-foot long, two-storey office at Kingsbridge station in 1912.(1) On his retirement circa 1920 he was succeeded by JOHN FRANCIS SIDES.
Gordon married Charlotte Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. Robert Flemyng of 18 Upper Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin, chaplain to Mountjoy Prison, at St Stephen's Church, Dublin, on 5 December 1878, and had a son who was an army officer. His pupils and assistants included OWEN FREDERIC GOODBODY.
Inst.CE: elected member, 5 February 1884.
Address: (home) 13 Morrison's Quay, Cork, 1878; Sevenoaks, Sarsfield Road, Inchicore, <=1901->=1918.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Gordon's candidate's circular for admission to membership of Inst.CE (1884), kindly provided by Mrs Carol Morgan, archivist, Inst.CE, from the Irish censuses of 1901 and 1911, and from Irish Genalogy, www.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited, Mar 2012).
(1) IB 54, 20 Jan 1912, 51.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for GORDON, ALBERT
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KINGSBRIDGE, RAILWAY STATION (GREAT SOUTHERN & WESTERN RAILWAY TERMINUS)|
|Nature:||New 2-storey office building, 80 ft long & 60 ft wide. Contractor: H. & J. Martin, Ltd. Estimated cost: £1,445.|
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0920, B21/70, A08 (Oct 1911); IB 54, 20 Jan 1912, 51.|