Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

English architect, for whom see Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 742. George Goldie was articled to John Gray Weightman and Matthew Ellison Hadfield of Sheffield from 1845 to 1850, when he became their partner. In 1858 he formed a partnership with Hadfield only, practising as HADFIELD & GOLDIE  HADFIELD & GOLDIE in Sheffield and London. He practised alone in London between 1861 and 1867. In 1867 or 1868 he formed the partnership of GOLDIE & CHILD  GOLDIE & CHILD with Charles Edwin Child, and in 1880 or 1881 his son Edward Goldie joined the firm, which practised as GOLDIE CHILD & GOLDIE  GOLDIE CHILD & GOLDIE until George Goldie's death in 1887 and for some years after it.(1) With only one exception, all Goldie's Irish commissions were for Catholic churches and institutions.

See WORKS. See also HADFIELD & GOLDIE  HADFIELD & GOLDIE and GOLDIE & CHILD. GOLDIE & CHILD.



References



(1) They exhibited under this name at the Royal Academy until 1892.


21 work entries listed in chronological order for GOLDIE, GEORGE #


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. MAYO, BOHOLA, CHURCH OF THE IMMAGULATE CONCEPTION & ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1859
Nature: New cruciform Gothic church. Builder: William Doolin, Co. Sligo.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Feb 1859, 22;  Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 55,56(illus.).

Building: CO. SLIGO, BALLYMOTE, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (FORMERLY ST BRIGID) (RC)
Date: 1859-1864
Nature: New church, for Canon Denis Tighe, FS laid 12 Oct 1859. Work delayed by masons' strike. Building in progress, 1861. Opened 4 Sep 1864. Contractor: Charles Barker. (Old church became the Loftus Hall.).  Design exh. at Architectural Exhibition, London, Apr 1861.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164; 3, 15 Jul 1861, 577 (is this the church at 'Ballymont', Co. Mayo, the design for which was exhib. in London in 1860 - see DB 1, 1 May 1860, 258?);  Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 24 (May 1861), 125;  Freeman's Journal, 5 Sep 1864; http://homepage.tinet.ie/~jhiggins/history.html (2008); illus. in Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 52(illus.).

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, STROKESTOWN, ELPHIN STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1860-63
Nature: New church replacing thatched church of late 1890s. FS laid 27 Jun 1860. Completed March 1863. Opened and blessed, 14 May 1863. Builder: Patrick & Michael Lyster, Athlone. Cost: £1,647.3s.4d. (Extended 1959-60 by Bernard Rhatigan of Sligo.)
Refs: Ex inf.  E.McP and Rev. Francis M. Beirne, PP, 28 Sep 1981 (B of I)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SUNDAYS WELL ROAD, CHURCH OF ST VINCENT DE PAUL (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: Alterations to interior, including altars, screens, stalls and other fittings. 5-light E. window filled with glass by Wailes, Newcastle. Stonework by Lane, Dublin.
Refs: Drawing of choir exh. Dublin International Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures 1865 (no. 160); B 19, 28 Sep 1861, 668; 24, 22 Dec 1866, 940; DB 7, 1 Jul 1865, 161; APSD, II, C, 147.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, LETTERKENNY, MARKET SQUARE, CLOCK TOWER (PROPOSED)
Date: 1861
Nature: 'about to be erected'
Refs: DB 3, 15 Feb,1 Mar 1861, 436,448; B 19, 16 Mar 1861, 176

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, FINISKLIN ROAD, ST JOSEPH'S URSULINE CONVENT
Date: 1862
Nature: Extensive wings (to form H-plan building). Builder: Kilgallon. Cost: £2,000.
Refs: B 20, 31 May 1862, 394

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, CHAPEL HILL, ST PATRICK'S CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1862
Nature: New Italianate porch & belfry to be added. Builder: Hunt & Son. (Did Goldie also design chapel?  See 1896 survey drawings in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142.)
Refs: B 20, 7 Jun 1862, 412

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BAKER'S PLACE, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1863-1866
Nature: New chancel, high altar, reredos, tabernacle, throne, and E window. Sculptor of Altar: Bolton, Worcester. Sculptor of reredos, &c.: P. Scannell, Cork Marble Works. Stained glass: Wailes, Newcastle.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 4 Jan 1866; DB 8, 15 Feb 1866, 53; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 652-3,676-8

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET UPPER, CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS (RC, REDEMPTORIST)
Date: 1865-66
Nature: High altar and reredos for Redemptorist Fathers. Builder: Pat Scanlon, Limerick . Panelling on front of altar carved by Bolton, Worcester. Unveiled and dedicated 15 Oct 1865.
Refs: B 23, 156 Sep 1865, 660,661(illus.);  Freeman's Journal, 4 Jan 1866;  DB 8, 15 Aug 1866, 209; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 677-678

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: 1866
Nature: Renovation & repairs, new high altar. Marble work: P. Scannell. Decoration: Hodkinson.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Feb 1866, 53

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CASTLEKNOCK, ST VINCENT'S COLLEGE
Date: 1866
Nature: 'extensive pile of buildings is about to be erected'. Builder: James Freeman. Cost:£6,000.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Mar 1866, 78; for lithograph of house in 1854, see Mary Cecilia Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), 127

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET UPPER, MOUNT ST ALPHONSUS REDEMPTORIST MONASTERY
Date: 1866
Nature: New oratory . Contractor: Patrick Scanlon, Limerick.
Refs: DB 8, 17 Aug 1866, 209

Building: CO. SLIGO, GURTEEN, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC, KILFREE PARISH)
Date: 1866
Nature: Begun 1866 and officially opened 25 Nov 1866.  For Canon Roger Brennan.
Refs:

Terence O'Rorke, History of Sligo (1889), II, 868;  http://gurteenparish.com/links.aspx (2008); illus. in Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 71.


Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SUNDAYS WELL ROAD, CHURCH OF ST VINCENT DE PAUL (RC)
Date: 1866-1869
Nature: Addition of 20ft bay at W side of nave, square tower,at NW angle, 2 porches, sacristy and chapter room. Also new presbytery at right angle to W side. FS laid May 1867. Builder: Barry McMullen.
Refs: B 24, 22 Dec 1866, 940,941(illus.); 25, 25 May 1867, 374; IB 11, 15 Jul 1869, 165; IB Jubilee Number 1908, 50; JRIAI (1949), 8(illus.)

Building: CO. WATERFORD, DUNGARVAN, EMMET STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1867
Nature: Submits design for new altar but design by Pugin & Ashlin chosen instead.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Feb 1867, 44,53(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1867
Nature: Pugin & Ashlin, Goldie and J.J. McCarthy initially invited to participate in limited competition, but Goldie & McCarthy found conditions unsatisfactory.
Refs: B 24, 12,26 Oct 1867, 753,786;  IB 67, 1 Nov 1867, 282-3.

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, TEMPLE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1867-75
Nature: Lombard Norman. Nave, aisless, transepts, semicircular apse with apsidal chapel beyond, 2 chapels of same form in transepts.  Massive & lofty tower and spire. Also sacristan's residence and connecting cloister.  Contractors: Charles Kilgallon, Sligo, & Joseph Clarence, Ballysadare (cut stone work). Cost: £20,000. Opened July 1874.
Refs: Signed contract drawings, 1867, (?and working details, 1868) among W.H. Byrne & Son drawings; drawing exh. Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loan Museum, 1872 (no. 939, lent by F. Morley); B 25, 31 Aug 1867, 649; IB 16, 1 Aug 1874, 218; W.G. Wood-Martin, History of Sligo (1882-1892), III, 132; T. Kilgannon, Sligo and its Surroundings (1926), 131 (where date of opening is wrongly given as 26 Jul 1875)

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, UPPER GRANGE ROAD, ST JOHN'S DIOCESAN COLLEGE
Date: 1868-1870
Nature: New building with cloistered central court and chapel.  FS laid Oct 1868. Builder: Barry McMullen, Cork. To cost: £12,000.
Refs: Building Trades Directory, 1868, 114; IB 10, 1 Nov 1868, 265; 12, 1 Jul 1870, 150

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, SUMMERHILL (ATHLONE), DIOCESAN COLLEGE (OLD)
Date: 1868a
Nature: -
Refs: Building Trades Directory, 1868, 114

Building: CO. MAYO, KILLASSER, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (RC)GOLDI
Date: 1868a
Nature: New church dedicated, Nov 1868.  Cost £1,200.
Refs: Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 76(illus.).


Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, IRISHTOWN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: High altar designed by GG and sculpted by Paul Ross, London.
Refs:  25, 8 Jun 1867, 407;  W.P. Burke, History of Clonmel (1907), 281;  illus. in Seán O'Donnell, Clonmel 1840-1900: anatomy of an Irish town (1999), between pp. 118 and 119.

Author Title Date Details
Goldie, George, & Mccarthy, James Joseph 'Cloyne new Roman Catholic Cathedral' 1867 B 25, 12 Oct 1867, 753-4. (Letter to editor.)