Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer to Dalkey Urban District Council, 1899-1927 or later. Shirley Russell Going, a son of John Henry Going, barrister, of Dublin, and his wife Mary Jane née Russell, was born on 15 December 1861.(1) He studied engineering at the Royal College of Science then, in 1880, served a one-year pupilage with JAMES PRICE JAMES PRICE , working at Lough Erne and Galway Harbour. He subsequently acted as inspecting engineer of land improvements under the Board of Works and resident engineer to Kingstown township. In 1893 he was an applicant for the post of engineer to the Board of Guardians of Mountmellick Union.(2) He was elected engineer for Dalkey township in 1899(3) and remained in this post until at least 1927 and probably until the amalgamation of Dalkey into the Borough of Dun Laoghaire in 1930. He died on 2 August 1933.(3) He had married Flora Flowers, of Rathcahill, Co. Offaly, on 10 October 1900(4) and at the time of the 1911 census had two daughters.

ICEI: elected associate member, 13 April 1887;(5) raised to member, 1892.

Addresses: Work: Molesworth Street, 1893;(6) 17 Nassau Street, <=1896->=1906.
Home: 35 Sandycove Road, Dun Laoghaire, <=1886->=1906; 36 Sandycove Road, Dun Laoghaire, <=1911-1933.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, II, 111, ICEI membership lists and and Thom's and Post Office Directories.

(1) Information from www.familysearch.org.
(2) IB 35, 15 Jul 1893, 168.
(3) IB 41, 15 Nov 1899, 191.
(3) See note 1, above.
(4) See note 1, above.
(5) TICEI 18 (1886-87), 29.
(6) See note 2, above.


6 work entries listed in chronological order for GOING, SHIRLEY RUSSELL


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. KILDARE, ATHY, WATER SCHEME
Date: 1888
Nature: SRG's plans for Guardians of Athy Poor Law Union chosen but not proceeded with (or paid for).
Refs: IB 30, 1 Oct 1888, 254

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CASTLE STREET, NO. 036 (PUBLIC LIBRARY)
Date: 1901-02
Nature: New library, for Dalkey UDC. Opened, 19 Apr 1902.
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun 1901, 753; Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 125-6(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, HOUSES (012)
Date: 1902
Nature: 12 single-storey working class dwellings, for UDC.
Refs: IB 43, 2 Jan 1902, 994

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, SEWERS
Date: 1905;1906;1907
Nature: Alts., new sewers, for UDC.
Refs: IB 47, 20 May 1905, 358; 48, 25 Aug 1906, 688; 49, 30 Nov 1907, 837

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, HOUSES (003)
Date: 1906
Nature: 3 cottages, ?for UDC. Builder: Henry Pemberton, Killiney.
Refs: IB 48, 25 Aug 1906, 688

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, CARYSFORT ROAD, HOUSES (010)
Date: 1911
Nature: 10 single storey artisans' dwellings for Dalkey UDC.
Refs: IA & C 1, 15 Apr 1911,158