Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer and county surveyor for Cos. Mayo and Kildare. Edward Glover was born at Maghowan, Churchtown, Buttevant, Co. Cork, on 9 December 1847, the son of James Glover of Maghowan. After attending school at Bandon, Co. Cork, he entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1870 and received the BAI degree in 1874.(1) He served his pupilage with PETER BURTCHAELL  PETER BURTCHAELL in 1875-76 and then travelled in France, Germany and Belgium. In November 1876 he was appointed County Surveyor for the southern division of Co. Mayo, remaining in this post for ten years until January 1886, when he was transferred to Co. Kildare.(2) He held the Kildare surveyorship until his resignation in 1914,(3) when he was succeeded by JOHN RORKE JOHN RORKE . From 1877 until 1893 he was architect to the Asylum Board(4) and from 1889 or earlier until 1893 or later he was also in private practice in Dublin with his brother-in-law CHARLES ASTLEY OWEN.  CHARLES ASTLEY OWEN.

Glover died in 1930 or 1931.(5) He was married twice, first to Sarah Maria, second daughter of HENRY BREWSTER  HENRY BREWSTER of Castlebar, Co. Mayo, by whom he had one daughter, and secondly, circa 1894, to Margaret, daughter of Luke Knight of Corkimmons, Clones, Co. Monaghan, and widow of Walter Young of Gartinadress, Co. Cavan.

Glover's pupils and assistants included EDWARD BREWSTER  EDWARD BREWSTER and JAMES DELANEY.  JAMES DELANEY.

ICEI:(6) member, 1877; council member, 1894-97, 1902 until death; vice-president 1898,1899; president, 1900,1901.
Inst.CE: member by 1896.(7)
RIBA: elected fellow, 5 June 1893, proposed by ROBERT COCHRANE ROBERT COCHRANE , ARTHUR HILL  ARTHUR HILL and S.W. Williams.
RSAI: elected member, 5 Jul 1881.(8)

Addresses:(9) Work: Castlebar, Co. Mayo, 1876-1886; County Surveyor's Office, Naas, Co. Kildare, 1886-1915; 16 Molesworth Street, Dublin, 1893. Home: 19 Prince Patrick Terrace, North Circular Rd, Dublin, <=1890->=1900; 3 Ellesmere Terrace, North Circular Road, 1911; 159 North Circular Road, <=1911->=1929.

See WORKS, BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biography (with photograph) of Comber in E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 256-7, and Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA, 2001), I, 733.

(1) R.C. Cox, compiler,Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(2) O'Donoghue; for his report to the Grand Jury of July 1887, see IB 29, 15 Jul 1887, 210.
(3) Building News 107, 24 Jul 1914, 129.
(4) Connaught Telegraph, 18 Nov 1893 (B.O'D.).
(5) TICEI 57 (1930-31), 288.
(6) From TICEI, lists of officers and members.
(7) TICEI 25 (1895-96), list of members.
(8) JRSAI 15 (1879-82), 499.
(9) From Thom's and Post Office Directories and TICEI lists of members.


11 work entries listed in chronological order for GLOVER, EDWARD


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. MAYO, ACHILL SOUND, VIADUCT & SWING BRIDGE
Date: 1883;1886p
Nature: Designed by EG, 1883. Completed with modifications by P.C. Cowan. Work began 18 Apr 1886. Still in progress, Mar 1891.
Refs: Connaught Telegraph, 14 Jul 1883,17 Jul 1886,14 Mar 1891 (information from Brendan O'Donoghue); E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 256

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1888-89;1891
Nature: With Charles Astley Owen. Enlargement. Builder: Donovan. Further works, including new drainage system, with E. Glover, 1890-91. Builder: Donovan.
Refs: IAA, PKS B14/35, B15/23, 0672, A07 (Jul 1890, p.389); IB 30, 15 Sep 1888, 242; 40th Report on District, Criminal and Private Lunatic Asylums (1891), 11

Building: CO. KILDARE, NAAS, HOUSE
Date: 1889
Nature: Two villas to be built, one for Stephen Brown, the other for J. Smith, MD.. With Charles Astley Owen.
Refs: IAA, PKS B14/50, A07 (Jun 1889, p.352); Architect 41, 14 Jun 1889, supplement p. 2

Building: CO. KILDARE, NAAS, HOUSE
Date: 1889
Nature: Two villas to be built, one for Stephen Brown, the other for J. Smith, MD.. Designed by EG with Charles Astley Owen.
Refs: IAA, PKS B14/50, A07 (Jun 1889, p.352); Architect 41, 14 Jun 1889, supplement p. 2

Building: CO. MAYO, CLOONACANNANA (SWINFORD), BRIDGE
Date: 1889-1890
Nature: Plans by EG for new bridge, 1883. Iron superstucture on masonry abutments. In progress, Jul 1889. Open to traffic, Dec 1889. Practically complete, Mar 1890. Residennt engineer: Patrick Joseph Prendergast.
Refs: Connaught Telegraph 14 Jul 1883, 13 Jul 1889, 15 Mar 1890 (information from Brendan O'Donoghue)

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, STATION ROAD?, MARYLAND
Date: 1890
Nature: New house and offices. With Charles Astley Owen, for Malachy J. Kelly, Crown Solicitor. Amount of tender: £3,400.
Refs: IAA, PKS B15/16, A07 (Apr 1890, p.392)

Building: CO. MAYO, CLARE ISLAND, OLD CASTLE, PIER
Date: ?
Nature: Reconstruction.
Refs: E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 256

Building: CO. MAYO, NEWPORT, QUAY
Date: ?
Nature: Reconstruction of quay walls.
Refs: E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 56

Building: CO. MAYO, WESTPORT, WATERWORKS
Date: ?
Nature: Designed and carried out by EG.
Refs: E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 256

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, SEWERAGE
Date: ?
Nature: Designed and carried out by EG.
Refs: E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 256

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINROBE, SEWERAGE
Date: ?
Nature: Designed and carried out by EG.
Refs: E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 256

Author Title Date Details
Glover, Edward 'The bicycle and common roads' 1897 TICEI 26 (1896-97), 80-93.