- Born: 1815 Died: 1883
Builder and architect of Limavady, Co. Derry. George Given, a son of a Robert Given (probably ROBERT GIVEN , q.v.) and his wife Martha (née McFeeters) was born in Limavady in 1813.(1) He is apparently the same person as the George Given who, according to Curl, was 'well established as a local Architect in the 1840s';(2) this George Given was probably the 'Mr Given' who was architect of improvements to St Mary's RC church at Limavady in 1846(3) and designed St Finlough's RC church at Oghill, Ballykelly, in 1848-50.(4)
Given was also a building contractor and is listed as such with an address in Main Street, Limavady, in the the Derry Almanac for the years 1868-80. He was the contractor for the chapel-of-ease at Myroe, Co. Derry, in 1863-4,(5) and for additions to the church of Camus-juxta-Bann, Co. Derry, designed by Welland & Gillespie, in 1867.(6) He died on 1 October 1883.(7)
(2) James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 271.
(2) Signed contract drawings in RCB 10.
(3) W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings in North Derry (UAHS, 1975), 18.
(4) Curl, loc. cit.
(5) Signed contract drawings in RCB Library, Portfolio 10A.
(6) See note 5, above.
(7) See note 1, above.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for GIVEN, GEORGE
|Building:||CO. DERRY, LIMAVADY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)|
|Nature:||Repairs and improvements.|
|Refs:||Slater's Directory (1846); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 351; J. Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 (Chichester, 1986), 271|
|Building:||CO. DERRY, BALLYKELLY, CHURCH OF ST FINLOUGH (RC)|
|Nature:||Designed by 'Mr Given, architect'.|
|Refs:||J. Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 (Chichester, 1986), 271,275(illus.)|