Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin. Gibson is listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory at Baggot Street from 1796-1800 (the street number is given as 8 in the 1797 issue), at Pembroke Street from 1801 until 1820 and at 5 Pembroke Street from 1821 to 1831. He may be the George Gibson who was admitted a freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Carpenters by Grace Especial at Easter 1799.(1) The George Gibson who was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Architectural Drawing on 4 June 1772(2) is probably too early in date to be the same person.



References



(1) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 55.
(2) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Design admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).