Selected: FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN


Born: 1835
Died: 1924


Architect, of Co. Kerry and Dublin city. James Franklin Fuller came of minor landed gentry in Co. Kerry. He was born in 1835, the only son of Thomas Harnett Fuller of Glashnacree, Co. Kerry, by his first wife, Frances Diana, third daughter of Francis Christopher Bland of Derryquin Castle, Co. Kerry. He was sent to a school in Blackrock, Co. Cork, where THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE , was a fellow pupil. After two years the establishment moved to Dublin, where he completed his schooling.(1) In 1850 he went to England, where he spent a year's apprenticeship with the mechanical engineers Summers, Day and Baldock of Southampton before entering the office of FREDERICK WILLIAM PORTER  FREDERICK WILLIAM PORTER of London. After serving his articles with Porter he worked briefly for several London architects - Horace Jones, Thomas Roger Smith, and WILLIAM BURGES -  WILLIAM BURGES - then for ALFRED WATERHOUSE  ALFRED WATERHOUSE in Manchester. From Manchester he moved to the office of MATTHEW ELLISON HADFIELD  MATTHEW ELLISON HADFIELD in Sheffield, and afterwards to the office of Henry Dawson(2) in the City of London.

In 1862 Fuller answered an advertisement for a district architect under the Irish Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and was chosen for the post from among ninety-seven candidates.(3) His charge was the North Western Division with residence at Killeshandra, Co. Cavan. On the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland in 1869, he received a lump payment, and set up his own office at 179 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, where he remained for the rest of his long life. His connection with the Church of Ireland continued: in 1871 he became architect to the Representative Church Body for the dioceses of Dublin, Glendalough, Kildare, Meath, Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin, holding this position for forty-two years until his resignation in 1913 'on account of advancing years and failing health', when he was granted a retiring allowance of £200 per annum.(4) In 1873 he was appointed architect to St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin.(5) He was considered an authority on the Hiberno-Romanesque style.(6) In addition to ecclesiastical work, he was architect to the Benchers of King's Inns and to the National Board of Education,(7) and in 1912 he was appointed assessor to the Ballsbridge Carnegie Library competition.(8)

Fuller ran his practice at 179 Great Brunswick Street with a gentlemanly disregard for standard clerical procedure. 'A few months after opening my offices I discarded the regulation copying-press and the regulation letter-book….The 'correct' thing to do with letters received, was to preserve, docket and to pigeon-hole them, in the case of each separate client; whereas nine out of ten of them went into my waste paper basket immediately after receipt…I used my own discretion with regard to letters written by myself, only keeping copies of a few…In issuing cheques, I never troubled to fill in the corresponding counterfoils…I kept no ledgers or books of any sort: I could not see the least necessity for them.' He also made a point of destroying all letters marked 'Private' as he thought it 'in the highest degree treacherous and dishonourable to preserve and reproduce such letters to the detriment of the writers'.(9) His pupils and assistants included GEORGE FRANCIS BECKETT GEORGE FRANCIS BECKETT , LAURENCE ALOYSIUS MCDONNELL  LAURENCE ALOYSIUS MCDONNELL and possibly RICHARD GEORGE THOMPSON.  RICHARD GEORGE THOMPSON.

In addition to running a busy architectural practice, Fuller was a prolific writer on a variety of topics. He published several novels, which were well received,(10) as well as articles on genealogy, heraldry and antiquarian subjects. His reminiscences, Omniana: the autobiography of an Irish octogenarian, were published in 1916.

Fuller died suddenly, after a few hours' illness(11) at his house on Eglinton Road, Dublin, on 8 December 1924. In spite of the 'failing health' cited as a reason for his resignation from his position with the Representative Church Body in 1913, he was said to have 'retained all his faculties and mental vigour to the end'. He ascribed his longevity to a sound constitution which had not been undermined by excess. He ate only two meals a day, drank mainly water, confined his pipe smoking to the period after dinner, and kept his bedroom window open at night throughout the year. He left an estate of £32,216.(12) He had married in 1860 Helen Hyacinth (d. 1925), daughter of John Prospère Guivier, by whom he had two sons and three daughters, of whom only one daughter, Evelyn, survived him.(13)   She is buried in the same plot as her parents in Mount Jerome cemetery.(14)

AAI: present at inaugural meeting, 13 October 1872.(15)
RIAI: elected member, 7 Apr 1883;(16) elected fellow, 1885;(17) resigned during session 1915-16.(18)
RIBA: elected fellow, 1872, having been proposed by F.W. Porter, ALFRED WATERHOUSE  ALFRED WATERHOUSE and THOMAS HENRY WYATT. THOMAS HENRY WYATT.
RSAI: member, 19 Jan 1876;(19) fellow, 1915.(20)
Society of Antiquaries (London): fellow.
Kerry Archaeological Association: member.(21)
GLFI: admitted member of RAC 4 (Dublin), 12 May 1876.(22)

Addresses:(23) 179 Great Brunswick Street, 1871ca until death. Home: 5 Sydenham Road, Dundrum, 1872->=1898; Lissatier, 51 Eglinton Road, Donnybrook,(24) <=1900 until death; also Glashnacree, Kenmare, Co. Kerry, inherited from his father in 1886.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY  BIBLIOGRAPHY (excluding works of fiction).

References
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Fuller's autobiography, Omniana: the autobiography of an Irish octogenarian (1916), which incorporates the material in his article 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', in IB Jubilee Number (1909), 24-26, from his obituary in IB 66, 27 Dec 1924, 1094, and from the entries in Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), I, 695, E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 267, and Who's Who, 1906.  For further information about his writings, see the entry by Andrew O'Brien and Linde Lunney in DIB.  A portrait photograph forms the frontispiece to Omniana; other portrait photographs are in Cosgrave, loc. cit., IB 55, 26 Apr 1913, 265, and Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society, Vol. 16 (1910), 88.


(1) In Omniana Fuller refers to the headmaster as 'Mr R.' and indicates that after the move to Dublin the school was 'in close touch with' Baggot Street church; these facts suggest that it was the 'boarding and day school for gentlemen's education' run by the Rev. William H. Rudkin, at 64 Baggot St Upr.
(2) Called simply 'Mr D' in Omniana; his identity is inferred from the information given by Fuller that he had an office in the City and died in 1915 at the age of 88.
(3) DB 4, 15 Jul 1862, 185; B 20, 12 Jul 1862, 503; the number of 97 candidates is given by Fuller himself in Omniana, 180.
(4) IB 55, 29 Mar,12,26 Apr 1913, 189,221,265; JRIAI (1916), 9.
(5) IB 16, 1 Jan 1874, 14.
(6) IB 34, 1 Jan 1892, 8.
(7) IB 67, 22 Aug 1925, 678.
(8) IB 54, 23 Nov 1912, 657.
(9) Omniana, 208-9; For an example of Fuller's correspondence with a client, see his letters to Utred Knox, 1871-80, re building of Mount Falcon (photocopies in IAA).
(10) Extracts from press notices of his novels Culmshire Folk, John Orlebar, Billy; or the Young Idea, Chronicles of Westerly, and Doctor Quodlibet are included in appendices to Omniana.
(11) IB 66, 13 Dec 1924, ?.
(12) IB 67, 22 Aug 1925, 678.
(13) Landed Gentry of Ireland (1904), 206, which wrongly gives Helen Fuller's maiden name as Gouvion.  The correct name was supplied by Fuller's great-great-granddaughterTeresa Stokes, Mar 2014.
(14) IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 280.
(15) RIAI council meeting minutes, 7 Apr 1883.
(16) RIAI council meeting minutes, 9 Nov 1885, 245; general meeting minutes 12 Dec 1885, 281.
(17) JRIAI (1916), 9.
(18) JRSAI 14 (1876-78), 5.
(19) JRSAI 45 (1915), 63; IB 57, 13 Feb 1915, 69.
(20) Journal of the Kerry Archaeological Association 1 (1908-12), 181.
(21) GLFI archives.
(22) From Thom's Directories.

220 work entries listed in chronological order for FULLER, JAMES FRANKLIN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, YMCA
Date: 1861
Nature: By 'J.F. Fuller of Sneem, Co. Kerry'.
Refs: B 19, 21 Dec 1861, 878; J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 229

Building: CO. LEITRIM, BALLAGHAMEEHAN (MANORHAMILTON), GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1863-64
Nature: To be started in spring of 1864. For Hon. John Wynne.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Dec 1863, 197; B 21, ? ? 1863, 850

Building: CO. LEITRIM, INNISMAGRATH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1864?
Nature: Proposed alts? (ie. insertion of new pew beside vestry door, new pulpit and new desk.)
Refs: Unsigned, undated sketch plan of part of existing church 'received from Mr Fuller May 25/64' and unsigned undated ground plan showing new pew, pulpit & desk, in RCB Library, portfolio 20

Building: CO. MEATH, DONAGHPATRICK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1866
Nature: -
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 227

Building: CO. CAVAN, DRUMREILLY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1866-67
Nature: New altar rail, pulpit, reading desk and E? window. Contractor: Matthew Gardiner. As J.F. Fuller made a sketch plan of existing church, he may also have designed the new work.
Refs: Sketch plan of existing church, signed and dated J.F. Fuller, May 1866, and drawings for new altar, &c., signed Welland & Gellespie, also by contractor, 17 Aug 1867, in RCB Library, portfolio 20.

Building: CO. GALWAY, KYLEMORE CASTLE
Date: 1868-1875;1878-1884
Nature: By JFF initially in collaboration with S.U. Roberts, Galway Co. Surveyor. For Mitchell Henry. Builder: Carroll. £24,682. Clerk of Works: Thomas Hamilton.
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/07, B06/07, B06a/08, B07/17, B08/09, B09/22, B12/05, A03 (Jul 1868, p.85v); IB 44, 14 Aug 1902, 1351; 45, 24 Sep 1903, 1987; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 180(illus.)

Building: CO. MEATH, HEADFORT
Date: 1870
Nature: Mausoleum for 2nd Marquess of Headfort. Consecrated 5 May 1870. Builder: Henry Sharpe, Kells.
Refs: IB 12, 1 Jun 1870, 123; B 28, ? ? 1870, 455; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 317 (illus. pl. 127)

Building: CO. KERRY, GLENBEIGH TOWERS
Date: 1870p
Nature: JFF called in by Rowland Winn to deal with problem of leaking walls and roofs at 'Rosbeigh Castle'. JFF apparently successful. Foreman: Isaac Abraham. (Winn sued Godwin & Crisp for cost of Fuller's repairs, , 'but the defendants caved in , and the trial never took place'.)
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 26; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 203

Building: CO. SLIGO, ANNAMORE HOUSE
Date: 1871
Nature: Large additions, for Charles O'Hara.
Refs: Letter from JJF to Utred Knox, 4 May 1871, in collection of Maj. R.B. Aldridge, Mount Falcon, Co. Mayo; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; Benfe Jones, 4(illus.)

Building: CO. MAYO, MOUNT FALCON
Date: 1871-1880
Nature: New house, for Utred A. Knox.
Refs: Drawings, estimate, bills, letters from Fuller & Sharpe, 1871-1880, in collection of Maj. R.B. Aldridge, Mount Falcon; IAA, PKS B05/43; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 213

Building: CO. MAYO, BELLEEK MANOR (BALLINA)
Date: 1872
Nature: Mausoleum and ?gateway. for Knox-Gore family.
Refs: J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 300-301

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, GOAT'S CASTLE
Date: 1872
Nature: Restoration for use as town hall. Local building. Cost about £500. Inaugurated Jul 1872.
Refs: IB 14, 15 Jul 1872, 201

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1872-73
Nature: New glebe house on site given by Lord Lucan, who has also given £1,000 to meet cost of building.
Refs: Letter from JFF to Utred Knox, 28 Apr 1872, in collection of Maj. R.B. Aldridge, Mount Falcon, Co. Mayo; IB 15, 15 May 1873, advt. for tenders

Building: CO. MAYO, ERREW GRANGE
Date: 1872-77
Nature: House for Granville Henry Knox. (Burnt out in 1930s, since partially rebuilt)
Refs: Letters from JFF to Utred Knox, Mount Falcon, 1872-78, in collection of R.B. Aldridge, Mount Falcon

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COOMBE, NO. 081-84 (COOMBE HOSPITAL, OLD)
Date: 1872;1876-77
Nature: JFF produces 2nd (executed?) design, 1872 (Costed at £5,825). Builder: Henry Quinn. Additional buildings, 1876; opened May 1877. Builder: Thomas Millard. (Demolished in late 1960s.)
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/46, B06/10, B07/37, A06 (Oct 1872); IB 19, 15 May 1877, 152

Building: CO. CAVAN, DOWRA, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1873
Nature: -
Refs: IB 15, 1 May 1873, advt. for tenders

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, GRANTSTOWN, BISHOP FOY'S SCHOOL
Date: 1873
Nature: Alts. & adds. (School then located in Grantstown House.)
Refs: IB 15, 1 May 1873, advt. for tenders

Building: CO. KERRY, VALENTIA ISLAND, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1873
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new glebe house (replacing glebe house of 1815 described by Lewis as 'dilapidated').
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jun 1873, advt. for tenders

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JAMES LARKIN ROAD, ST ANNE'S
Date: 1873-1885
Nature: New mansion for Sir Arthur Edward Guinness (cr. 1st Baron Ardilaun, 1880). Builder: Thomas Millard. Aso the Temple. Palm house, 1881.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0628, B06/06, B07/05, B09/24, B10/10, B11/06, B12/02; IB 16, 15 Aug 1874, 224; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 252(illus.)

Building: CO. WATERFORD, LISMORE, ARCHDEACONRY
Date: 1873-75
Nature: Repairs. Cost: £864. Builder: Newstead and/or J.H. Hogan
Refs: IAA, PKS B07/06, A06 (May 1875); IB 15, 1 Sep 1873 (advt. for tenders)

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA, LODGE (THE)
Date: 1874
Nature: Farm buildings, for Marquess of Headfort, identified by Mulligan as W range of courtyard..
Refs: IAA, PKS B06/53;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 575.

Building: CO. KERRY, BURNHAM HOUSE
Date: 1874
Nature: Reconstruction, including new porch, for 4th Baron Ventry. (Porch built by Sharp of Dublin for estimated price of £1,200).
Refs: IAA, PKS B06/30, A06 (Jan 1874); J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184-5

Building: CO. MEATH, HEADFORT
Date: 1874-75
Nature: Farm buildings. Cost: £3,635. Builder: Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06/52, B07/20, A06 (Nov 1874)

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CATHEDRAL SQUARE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1874;1878
Nature: Proposed rebuilding of spire; proposed new roof?, 1878.
Refs: Undated fundraising(?) pamphlet, with illustration of proposed spire; transverse section possibly by JJF showing proposed new roof, inscr. on verso 'Cathedral & Mr Fullar' and 'Cathedral June 1878', with rough sketches on same sheet perhaps in hand of Thomas Drew (photographs in IAA, negs. C8/839,840); IB 16, 1 Aug 1874, 219; 20, 1 Dec1878, 353

Building: CO. DUBLIN, FARMLEIGH HOUSE (CASTLEKNOCK)
Date: 1874;1879-1884
Nature: Adds & alts., 1874, and under-gardener's lodge, &c., 1879-1880. Contractor: Thomas Millard. Alts. & adds., farm buildings, conservatory, Liffey Rd lodge, dairy &c. 1881-1884. Contractor: Henry Sharpe, Kells. For Edward Cecil Guinness.
Refs: Unsigned undated proposed elevation (presumably by Fuller) and basement plan in collection of Earl of Iveagh; IAA, PKS 0629, 0643, B06/35, B09/13, B10/09, B11/57, B12/01, A06 (Jul 1880, Mar, Sep, Dec 1881), A07, pp.128,153-4 (1883-84); DB 22, 1 Aug 1880, 224; Jeremy Musson, 'Farmleigh, Co. Dublin - I', Country Life, 2 Dec 1999, 92-99;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 297-8.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILROCK ROAD (HOWTH), HOUSE
Date: 1874;1888
Nature: New house for Gerald Fitzgibbon, jr. With J.E. Rogers. Builder: Henry Sharpe, Kells. £4,300. Further work, 1888, also executed by Henry Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06/33, B06a/19, B07/10, B14/31, A06 (Feb 1874), A07, p.204 (Mar-Aug 1888)

Building: CO. MAYO, ASHFORD CASTLE (CONG)
Date: 1875-1881
Nature: For Lord Ardilaun. Builder: Henry Sharpe. £41,343. Clerk of works: Thomas Hamilton.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06a/50, B07/14, B08/05, B9/03, B10/03, A/06 (Sep 1875); J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 169,184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 12-13(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEESON STREET LOWER, NO. 018
Date: 1875-76
Nature: Remodelling. For Sir A.E. Guinness. Contractor: Thomas Millard.
Refs: IAA. PKS B07/01; Nicholas Sheaff, Iveagh House (Dublin, Department of Foreign Affairs, 1978), 21

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, FARNHAM STREET, PROTESTANT HALL
Date: 1876
Nature: JFF appointed architect to Protestant Hall about to be erected. Several plans submitted for competition. (Demolished and replaced by Johnston Central Library, 2004.)
Refs: Anglo-Celt, 11 Feb 1876; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 254


Building: CO. KERRY, CAHIRNANE
Date: 1876-77
Nature: For Henry Herbert. Cost: £5,992. Builder: Collen Bros.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06a/23, B07/30, A06 (Mar 1876); IB 18, 1 Aug 1876, 218; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 54

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, KILRONAN CASTLE
Date: 1877
Nature: JFF replaces Deane 1877 after row between Deane and Lady Louisa Tenison re cost of £20,000 instead of estimated £6,000 and water penetration.
Refs: Letter from JFF to Utred Knox, 26 Dec 1877, in collection of Maj. R.B. Aldridge, Mount Falcon, Co. Mayo

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, AQUARIUM
Date: 1877
Nature: Proposed aquarium to be erected on Carlisle grounds. To contain aquarium, concert hall, lecture, exhibition, reading and refreshment rooms.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Nov 1877, 323.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ARTHURSTOWN, CHURCH (CI, KILLESK PARISH)
Date: 1877
Nature: FS laid by Lady E. Chichester. To cost £1,500.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Jun 1877, 158; E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 267; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 375

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANTRY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: Re-opened after works, Dec 1877. Builder: Mssrs. Anderson, Ratoath, co. Meath.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Dec 1877, 358

Building: CO. KERRY, BALLYBUNION, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: Church at Rattoo by JFF, erected 1877-79, moved stone by stone to Ballybunion under supervision of William Henry Hill[2] who redesigned seating.
Refs: Maurice Craig & the Knight of Glin, Ireland Observed (1970), 92; Buildings of Ireland files, citing information from office of W.H. Hill & Son, South Mall Cork

Building: CO. KERRY, RATTOO, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1877-79
Nature: New church on site 'within the shadow of the ancient round tower'. Gothic. Uncoursed rubble with Portland stone dressings. FS laid by Wilson Gun, D.L. who paid cost of contract (excluding tower and belfry). Consecrated Oct 1879. Contractor: A. Crosbie, Tralee. Clerk of Works: Dooner.
Refs: IB 19, 1 Oct 1877, 284; 21, 1 Nov 1879, 344; B 35, 6 Oct 1877, 1017; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 169; Maurice Craig & the Knight of Glin, Ireland Observed (1970), 92

Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHELTON ABBEY
Date: 1878
Nature: Work at same, for 5th Earl of Wicklow. Builder: Millard. Plasterwork: James Hogan & Sons.
Refs: IAA, PKS B08/15, B09/12, A07, p.138 (1879);  46th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1877), 15;  IB 20, 15 Aug 1878, 235.

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, CHURCH OF ST COLMCILLE (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Stained glass window erected as memorial to late Marquess of Headfort. Glass by Heaton, Butler & Co.
Refs: IB 20, 1 Nov 1878, 310

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, IRISHTOWN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: Enlargement (transepts, chancel, organ chamber & vestry) and renovation. Contractor: Pemberton. Estimated cost £2,520. Work completed by apr 1880. Actual cost: £3000.
Refs: IB 20, 1 Sep 1878, 247;  Irish Times, 10 Apr 1880, 6.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, NO. 157-159 (GEORGE ROE & SON)
Date: 1878
Nature: Bonded store on site of old Marshalsea Yard, for Henry Roe .
Refs: IAA, PKS B06a/58

Building: CO. GALWAY, KYLEMORE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1878-1881
Nature: New memorial church. For Mitchell Henry. Builder: Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06a/36, B07/23, B08/17, B09/14, B10/15, A06 (Jun 1881); Johnnie Gray, A Tourist's View of Ireland (n.d.[1883]), ?; IB 44, 14 Aug 1902, 1351; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183

Building: CO. WICKLOW, TINAKILLY HOUSE
Date: 1879
Nature: New house, for Captain Robert Halpin. Builder: Henry Sharpe. Plasterwork: A. Moyna.
Refs: Working drawings at Tinakilly House, Aug 2010, see www.tinakilly.ie (last visited Aug 2010);  IAA, PKS B09/18; Wicklow Newsletter, 7 Sep 1889; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184.

Building: CO. MEATH, DRUMREE, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1879
Nature: New. Builder: G.F. Tyrrell.
Refs: IB 21, 15 Oct 1879, 323; B 37, ? Oct 1879, 1182; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 283

Building: CO. OFFALY, DURROW, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI)
Date: 1879-1881
Nature: New church on new site in centre of village. Built at sole expense of Hon. Otway Toler. FS laid, Oct 1879. Consecrated, 24 Jun 1881.  Builder: Henry Sharpe, Kells.
Refs: IB 21, 1 Nov 1879, 344;  Irish Times, 24 Jun 1881, 7;  J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 078-81 (IVEAGH HOUSE)
Date: 1879-1884
Nature: Rebuilding of No. 79 (1880-81), link building between No. 80 and No. 79, replacement of main stair in No. 80 with double return staircase, kitchen offices at No. 80, rebuilding of No. 78, 1884. For Edward Cecil Guinness. Builder: (1)Pemberton. (2)Henry Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0217, B09/39, B10/02, B11/01, B12/07, A06 (Jun 1879), A07, p.152 (1884); Nicholas Sheaff, Iveagh House (Dublin, Department of Foreign Affairs, 1978), 21,37-39(illus.);  see also Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 497-8, which has slilghtly different dates for Fuller and Young's work.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, LENEY, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1880
Nature: Tenders invited for building addition.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Jul 1880, 193

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CARRICK-ON-SUIR, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1880
Nature: Chancel to be added, 1880. Other important additions (Egan).
Refs: IB 22, 1 Jul 1880, 193;  P.M. Egan, History, guide and directory of county and city of Waterford [1894], 683.

Building: CO. CARLOW, STAPLESTOWN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1880
Nature: Chancel to be added.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Jul 1880, 193

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRIDGE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1880
Nature: Restoration of chapels of N side, completed Mar 1880. Builder: Crosbie.
Refs: IB 22, 15 Mar 1880, 87

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARDWICKE PLACE, ST GEORGE'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1880
Nature: Remodelling of chancel. Builder: James P. Pile, Abbey St. Ornamental glass: Curtis, Abbey Street. Lectern: Hodges & Sons, Westmoreland Street. Entire cost about £700. Consecrated 25 Nov 1880.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Jun,1,15 Dec 1880, 158,341,350;  Irish Times, 26 Nov 1880, 6.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, PARK
Date: 1880
Nature: Gardener's lodge, for Sir Arthur Guinness. Contractor: Millard. Estimated cost £2,256. Also gate piers and shelters.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0625, B09/37, A06 (Aug 1880); IB 22, 1 Aug 1880, 221; 36, 1 Jul 1894, 153.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LANSDOWNE ROAD, HOUSE
Date: 1880
Nature: New house, for George Porte. Tenders invited Feb 1880.
Refs: Irish Times, 2 Feb 1880, 8.

Building: CO. MAYO, ASHFORD CASTLE (CONG)
Date: 1881
Nature: Wrought iron gates, for Lord Ardilaun. Executed by Fagan & Sons, Gt Brunswick St.
Refs: IB 23, 15 May 1881, 159

Building: CO. MEATH, SYDDAN, CHURCH OF ST DAVID (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: New church, consecrated 1881. Early English style. Nave, chancel, baptistry at W. end; tower and spire at NW. Built and partly endowed by late Miss Elizabeth Ball, Dublin. Builder: Henry Sharpe, Kells
Refs: IB 23, 1 Aug 1881, 233; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 376

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, LENEY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: Re-opened 29 Jun 1992 after additions (N. aisle, chancel & vestry, pulpit, lectern) costing about £1,200.
Refs: IB 23, 15 Jul 1881, 207; see Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 427.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, STILLORGAN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1881
Nature: New? glebe house. Estimated cost £2,300.
Refs: IAA, PKS B10/13, A06 (Mar 1881); IB 23, 1 Apr 1881, 111

Building: CO. KILDARE, COOLCARRIGAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881-1885
Nature: Celtic revival church in park attr. to JFF by Paul Larmour.
Refs: Information from leaflet on church, which quotes letter from Larmour, dated 7 Sep 1981

Building: CO. KILDARE, MILLICENT, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (CI, CLANE PARISH)
Date: 1881-83
Nature: New Hiberno-Romanesque church on new site. Gift of Thomas Cooke-Trench, of Millicent. Local limestone with Cumberland red sandstone dressings. Windows by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. Carving by A.P. Sharpe. Dedicated by Archbishop of Dublin, 29 Sep 1883.
Refs: IB 23, 1 Nov 1881, 324; 25, 15 Oct 1883, 318; [William Sherlock, ed.], Church of St Michael and All Angels, Clane (Dublin, 1894) (reprint in IAA, RP.D.309.5); J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, KILLADEAS, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881?
Nature: Addition of tower?  (Design of church suggested by JFF in autobiography, but see  DB 6, 1 Sep 1864, 176, which says church was designed by Robert Williams Armstrong).
Refs: J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 169;   Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 328.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, FIDDOWN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1882
Nature: New. Builder: W. Cleere, Kilkenny. £1,500.
Refs: IB 24, 15 Dec 1882, 366

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, HOUSES (004)
Date: 1882-84
Nature: 4 houses for Edward Cecil Guinness. £14,317. Builder: H. Sharpe. Plastering: A. Moyna.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0648, B11/46, B12/23, A07, pp.128,152 (May 1882-1884)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1882-86
Nature: Works at same. Contractor (for some if not all): J.P. Pile. (Buttress fell during restoration work, 1882, with fatal results. Coroner's jury delivered verdict of culpable negligence against architect and builder.)
Refs: IAA, PKS 0597, B10/35, B11/15, B12/16, A07, pp.112,244-245 (Feb 1882-Jun 1886); Architect 28, 23 Sep 1882, 86 (also 197 and 207); 33, (25 Jun 1886), 381; IB 24, 1 Oct 1882, 292; Architect & Building News 131, 30 Sep 1932, 415

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RAHENY, POST OFFICE
Date: 1883
Nature: New post office, for Lord Ardilaun. Builder: H. Sharpe. Cost: £441.9s.6d.
Refs: IAA, PKS B11/60, A07, p.136 (Nov 1883)

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1884
Nature: Adds. to laundry.
Refs: IB 26, 1 Sep 1884, 265

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, HOUSES (004)
Date: 1884
Nature: 4 houses for E.C. Guinness. Builder: Henry Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0648, B12/23

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILROCK ROAD (HOWTH), KILROCK
Date: 1884
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Rt. Hon Gerald Fitzgibbon, QC. Builder: Henry Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS 12/06, A07 (Jun 1884); J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 205

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, MANOR MILL LAUNDRY
Date: 1884
Nature: Works at.
Refs: IB 26, 15 Sep 1884, 281

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RAHENY ROAD, RAHENY COTTAGE
Date: 1884
Nature: Rebuilding, for Lord Ardilaun. Contractor: H. Sharpe.
Refs: IAA, PKS B11/70

Building: CO. ARMAGH, PORTADOWN, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1884-85
Nature: Enlargement and restoration. Estimated cost: £5,000. Reopened Sep 1885. Contractors: Collen Bros.
Refs: Letter from JFF to a Mr Holden, 24 Jul 1882, asking for plans of church in RCB Library, portfolio 2B; IB 26, 1 Feb 1884, 43; 27, 15 Sep 1885, 262; 72, 8 Nov 1930, 994; C.E.B. Brett, D., Dunleath, R. Oram & A.J. Rowan. Historic Buildings…in the designated area of the Craigavon Development Commission (UAHS, 1970), 3;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 503.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI, BALLYMORE PARISH)
Date: 1884?
Nature: Plans for converting waiting room into organ chamber.
Refs: Drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 2A

Building: CO. WATERFORD, CASTLETOWN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1885
Nature: Alts. & renovation.
Refs: IB 27, 15 Jun 1885, 182

Building: CO. LAOIS, LEA, MEMORIAL CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1885
Nature: New church, for Mrs Cornelia Adair, in memory of her husband John George Adair of Rathdaire (d.1885). Amount of tender: £4,250. Eventual cost 'will not be less than £8,000'.  Opening service 2 Nov 1890 when church was 'not yet quite complete'.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0652, A07, p.242 (Dec 1885);  Irish Times, 3 Dec 1890;   J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183; J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 253-4.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, ST CATHERINE'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1885
Nature: Reordering of interior, including removal of box-pews and two E bays of gallery, relocation of pulpit to N side of chancel arch, &c. Contractor: James Walter Beckett.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Oct 1886, 272;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 624.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SANDFORD ROAD (RANELAGH), SANDFORD PAROCHIAL HALL
Date: 1885-86
Nature: Proposed new hall (but built to design of J.R. Carroll?). Estimated cost £800.
Refs: IAA, PKS B12/33, A07, p.246 (Feb-Apr 1885); IB 27, 15 Feb 1885, 61

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FISHAMBLE STREET, MISSION HALL
Date: 1886
Nature: On site of St John's church. Tullamore brick with Kingscourt brick dressings. Builder: T. & J. Pemberton, east Hanover St. £2,000.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Apr 1886, 106

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD SOUTH, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (CI)
Date: 1886
Nature: Entrant in limited competition, for Shannon Trustees. Thomas Drew's design selected
Refs: IB 29, 1 Sep 1887, 252;

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1887
Nature: New gate lodge.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Apr 1887, 1

Building: CO. CLARE, KILLALOE, CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1887
Nature: Partial restoration. Builder: Henry Sharpe, Ailesbury Rd, Dublin. Cathedral re-opened May 1887.
Refs: IB 29, 15 May 1887, 134

Building: CO. OFFALY, LYNALLY, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: 1887
Nature: Norman style. Cons. 15 Sep 1887. Erected as memorial to Capt. Kenneth Howard Bury of Charleville Forest by his widow. Builder: H. Sharpe.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Oct 1887, 280; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 183

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1887-1901
Nature: New wing, &c., including hot water system.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0663, B14/04, A07 (Dec 1887-May 1890, pp.303,383,404); IB 30, 15 Feb 1888, 55; 31, 1 Apr 1889, 96; 32, 15 Mar 1890, 76(illus.); 38, 15 May 1896, 106; 43, 6 Jun 1901, 753; Architect 39, 27 Jan 1888, suppl. p.3; 43, 21 Mar 1890, suppl. p.2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HEYTESBURY STREET, MEATH HOSPITAL
Date: 1887-88
Nature: John Barber wing. Completed Sep 1888. Builder: Moyers. Plumbing by D. Curtis, William St. Final cost £4,620.2.8.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0659, A07 (Jul,Aug 1887, pp.127,330); IB 39, 1 May 1897, 89

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, PAROCHIAL HALL (CI)
Date: 1888
Nature: 6-bay Tudor hall. Tenders invited Apr 1888.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Apr 1888, advt. for tenders; Architect 39, 20 Apr 1888, supplement p. 1; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 422

Building: CO. CORK, KILLEAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1888
Nature: Extensive alts. & adds. about to be made.
Refs: IB 30, 1 Dec 1888, 300; Architect 40, 14 Dec 1888, 2

Building: CO. OFFALY, BIRR, PARISH HALL (OXMANTOWN HALL)
Date: 1888
Nature: Approaching completion. Builder: Sweeny, Birr.
Refs: IB 30, 15 Nov 1888, 289

Building: CO. WICKLOW, AVOCA, CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY (CI, CASTLEMACADAM PARISH)
Date: 1888-89
Nature: JFF makes report on severe damp problem resulting from cracks in pointing of tower. Timberwork 'in an advanced state of decay' after only 18 years. Tenders invited for carrying out repairs to tower, Apr 1889; work completed end of 1889. For Rev. John Moore Robinson.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 15 Dec 1888,27 Apr 1889,4 Jan 1890; Architect 40, 21 Dec 1888, 354

Building: CO. KILDARE, MULLABODEN HOUSE
Date: 1888-89
Nature: Servants' quarters, plumbing and water supply works, for Col. the Hon. Charles Crichton. Builder: Moyers. £2,365. Plumbers: Maguire & Son.
Refs: IAA, PKS B14/26, A07, p.127 (Jun 1888); IB 30, 1 Aug 1888, 204; 31, 15 Jul 1889, 191

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1888-89
Nature: New wing (estimated cost £7,733); adds. (estimated cost £3,080).
Refs: IAA, PKS A07 (Dec 1887, Nov 1889); IB 30, 15 Feb 1888, ?;

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1888-93
Nature: Restoration and imps. after fire of 1888. Pitch-pine roof and benches, heating and organ chamber. Contractor: Francis Nunan, Killarney. Decorator: Robert Mannix.  Marble steps and marble mosaic pavement, 1893.
Refs: IB 30, 1,15 Nov 1888, 278,289; 31, 15 Jun 1889, 161; Architect 40, 28 Sep 1888, supplement p.1, 19 Oct 1888, supplement p.3;  Irish Times, 26 Dec 1893.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DONARD, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1889
Nature: New chancel and vestry. (Is this the same as Knockanarrigan church which had slab over entrance saying it was erected in 1889 by Fitzwilliam Hume-Dick?  See Brian Cantwell, ‘Memorials of the Dead’ (Enneclan CD-ROM II), Vol. 147.)
Refs: Architect 42, 30 Aug 1889., supplement p.1

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ALMORITA, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1889
Nature: New chancel, vestry and repewing. Contractor: Willis Bros, Mullingar. Reopened Oct? 1887.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 307; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 106

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1889
Nature: -
Refs: IB 31, 15 May 1889, 189 (list of tenders)

Building: CO. KERRY, WATERVILLE, MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN
Date: 1889
Nature: Being erected in memory of James Butler of Waterville. Surmounted by limestone Irish cross elaborately carved on all sides. Sculptor: A.P. Sharp.
Refs: IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74; J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 229

Building: CO. DUBLIN, LUCAN, CONVENT SCHOOLS
Date: 1889
Nature: Tenders invited for building schools at convent.
Refs: IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANTRY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1889
Nature: Restoration & improvement, including 2 windows in E wall, alts. to E end arrangements, removal of gallery and replacement of porch. Builder: J. & W. Beckett. £500ca
Refs: IB 31, 1 Nov 1889, 267

Building: CO. CAVAN, ENNISKEEN (KINGSCOURT), PARISH HALL
Date: 1889-1890
Nature: New hall to seat 200 with classroom and lending library. FS laid Jun 1889. Cost £220.
Refs: IB 31, 1 Jul 1889, 175; 32, 15 Jun 1890, 147

Building: CO. WICKLOW, WICKLOW, BATCHELOR'S WALK, ASSEMBLY HALL
Date: 1889-90
Nature: New hall started from scratch (walls that had been built by previous contractor taken down).  Contractor: Henry Sharpe, Leeson Park, Dublin. Opened 27 May 1890.  Final cost: £1,100.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 5 Oct 1889,26 Apr 1890.

Building: CO. KILDARE, HARRISTOWN (KILCULLEN), CHURCH (CI, CARNALWAY PARISH)
Date: 1889-92
Nature: New Hiberno-Romanesque church built 'almost exactly' on foundations of 18th c. church. Tower and spire of old church incorporated in new bulding. Consecrated 22 Dec 1891. Contractor: A.P. Sharp.
Refs: IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74; 34, 1 Jan 1892, 8

Building: CO. OFFALY, BALLYBURLY HOUSE
Date: 1890
Nature: Rebuilding for John Wakely, DL, after fire of 19 Jun 1888. Builder: H. Sharpe, Kells.
Refs: IAA, PKS B15/30, A07, p.128 (Jul 1890); The King's County Directory (1890), 181,270; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 24; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 19(illus.)

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILDARE, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRIGID (CI)
Date: 1890
Nature: Completion of restoration initiated by G.E. Street.
Refs: IB 32, 15 Nov 1890, 270; 43, 3 Jul 1902, 1302(illus.)

Building: CO. CAVAN, KINGSCOURT, PARISH HALL
Date: 1890
Nature: New parochial hall for Enniskeen CI parish to seat 200 persons, with classroom and lending library. FS laid Jun 1889. In progress Jun 1890. Cost £220.
Refs: IB31, 1 Jul 1889, 175; 32, 15 Jun 1890, 147;   Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 402.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, MARLFIELD (CLONMEL), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1890
Nature: Plans prepared for restoration and improvement, for Richard Bagwell.
Refs: Irish Times, 8 Jan 1890.

Building: CO. CARLOW, LORUM, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1890ca
Nature: Timber roof?
Refs: J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 41

Building: CO. OFFALY, GEASHILL, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1891
Nature: Reopened after improvements, including chancel tiling and insertion of cathedral glass. Builder: Isaac Weir, Palatine, Co. Carlow. £700
Refs: IB 33, 15 Aug 1891, 191

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAWKINS STREET, NO. 001 (GALLAHER & CO.)
Date: 1891
Nature: On corner of D'Olier Street. Builder: Collen Bros. £5,876. (Early steel-frame construction.)
Refs: IAA, PKS 0594, B15/34, B15/68, A07 (Mar 1891, pp.383,398);  Susan Keating, 'Dublin's terracotta buildings in the later nineteenth century', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies: the journal of the Irish Georgian Society 4 (2001), 155-157(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRIETTA STREET, KING'S INNS
Date: 1891-92
Nature: 6-storey book stack extension to library. Builder: Beckett. Estimated cost, £2,996. Piral stair made by Walter MacFarlane & Co., Glasgow.
Refs: Signed designs for two proposals for circular book stack (unexecuted) in IAA (on loan from King's Inns Archives), 2007/10.3/1,2;  IAA, PKS 0691, B15/35 (missing), A07 (Apr 1891, p.282);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 161.

Building: CO. LAOIS, LEA, MEMORIAL CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1892
Nature: New chancel dedicated 18 1892. Builder: J. Greene, Portarlington. Cost 'somewhat over £300'.
Refs: IB 34, ? ? 1892, 232

Building: CO. WEXFORD, NEW ROSS, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1892
Nature: New roof and windows. £1,500.
Refs: IB 34, 1 Feb 1892, 35; Wicklow Newsletter, 13 Apr 1895

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MIDDLETOWN, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, TYNAN PARISH)
Date: 1893
Nature: Refurbishment of interior, including refronting of gallery, new communion rails and prayer desk of solid oak. Reopened 56 Oct 1893. Builder: Dunwoody.
Refs: IB 35, 15 Oct 1893, 241;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 451.    

Building: CO. LOUTH, TULLYALLEN (MELLIFONT), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1894
Nature: Addition of new chancel to church (of 1817, see Leslie, Armagh Clergy & Parishes). Consecrated, 25 Jul 1894. Builder: Thomas Smullen, Drogheda. (Carved lectern 'exquisitely worked by Captain McClintock'.)
Refs: Irish Times, 12 Feb,26 Jul 1894; IB 36, 1 Aug 1894, 181.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, COOLKENNO, CHURCH (CI. AGHOLD PARISH)
Date: 1894
Nature: Restoration of church built in 1716, including new ceiling, pews, E window, removal of side galleries. Reopened Nov 1894. Builder: Dockrell Ltd, George St.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 10 Nov 1894.

Building: CO. KILDARE, BALLYMORE EUSTACE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1894
Nature: New chancel with stained glass east window erected by Hon. Charles Crichton in memory of his parents the Earl & Countess of Erne. Removal of plaster ceiling of nave also funded by Crichton. Building work, stone & wood carving by A.P. Sharp, 17 Great Brunswick St.
Refs: Irish Times, 30 Apr 1894;  IB 36, 1 Nov 1894, 249

Building: CO. KERRY, KENMARE, HOTEL
Date: 1894
Nature: For Great Southern Railway. Builder: S. Hill. £10,262.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0743, B16/20, A07, p.117 (Oct 1894); J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184

Building: CO. KERRY, PARKNASILLA, GREAT SOUTHERN HOTEL
Date: 1894
Nature: For Great Southern Railway. Builder: S. Hill. £12,293. (Altered by Buchan, Kane & Smith, 1952.)
Refs: IAA, PKS B16/19, A07, p.117 (Sep 1894); IB 36, 1 Dec 1894, 265; J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, CHURCH OF ST COLMCILLE (CI)
Date: 1894
Nature: Reopened 22 Nov 1894 after being damaged by gas explosion in Dec 1893. Old fabric restored and improved. Improvements include removal of plaster ceiling, new organ chamber off chancel, new chancel arch to replace existing square one, replacement of timber window frames with stone ones. Tenders invited, Mar 1894. Work carried out by F. St George Smith, Drogheda.
Refs: Irish Times, 9,10,12,21 Mar 1894; IB 36, 15 Mar,1 Dec 1894, 265.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, MEATH INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS
Date: 1894
Nature: New gymnasium added to existing buildings. Took 6 months to build.  Opened by Archbishop of Dublin, 2 Jan 1895. Contractor: Beckett. Cost of building and furnishings: £799.
Refs: Irish Times, 3 Jan 1895.

Building: CO. OFFALY, FERBANE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1894-95
Nature: Alts. & imps. Tenders invited, Mar 1894. Clerk of Works: P. Glennon.
Refs: Irish Times, 9 Mar 1894; IB 36, 15 Mar 1894, 72; B 69, 31 Aug 1895, 157.

Building: CO. MEATH, OLDBRIDGE, BOYNE OBELISK
Date: 1895
Nature: Repointing and restoration by 'Mr Faulkiner, electrician of Manchester' superintended by 'Mr Fuller' after obelisk had developed serious cracks on having been struck by lightning.
Refs: JRSAI 25 (1895), 180-181

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DUNLAVIN, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS (CI)
Date: 1895
Nature: General Vestry Meeting decides to replace lath & plaster ceiling with one of pitch pine under direction of JFF, diocesan architect. To cost about £100.
Refs: Irish Times, 19 Mar 1895.

Building: CO. OFFALY, DURROW, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI)
Date: 1895
Nature: Addition. Contractor: Sweeny, Birr. Opened 2 Oct by Bishop of Meath.
Refs: Irish Times, 8 Oct 1895.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DONNYBROOK, WINDMILL (OR TOWER) FIELD SITE, HOUSES (065)
Date: 1895-96
Nature: 65 cottages, for Pembroke Town Commissioners. Tenders invited, May 1896.
Refs: IB 37, 1 Oct,1 Nov 1895, 237,253; 38, 15 Sep 1896, 195;  Irish Times, 5 May 1896.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1895-96
Nature: New wing on western side of New Schoolroom. Completed May 1896. Officially opened 23 Sep 1896. Contractor: A.P. Sharp, Great Brunswick St. Damaged by fire dec 1896.
Refs: Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 51-52

Building: CO. WICKLOW, RATHDRUM, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (CI)
Date: 1895-98
Nature: JFF consulted re restoration for which Rev. Wyndham Guinness was architect.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 13 Jul 1895; 25 Apr 1896; 29 Jan 1898; 21 Apr 1900

Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1896
Nature: Repairs, 1896.  Funds to be raised for further repairs to cathedral and synod hall, Jul 1897.
Refs: IB 38, 15 Oct 1896, 221;  Tuam Herald, 3 Jul 1897.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HEYTESBURY STREET, MEATH HOSPITAL
Date: 1896
Nature: New detached isolation wing. Builder: Meade & Son. £7,112. Opened, Nov 1896.
Refs: Irish Times, 5 Mar 1896; IB 39, 1 May 1896, 89, 9 Mar 1897

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTLAND ROW, NO. 007 (ST MARK'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS)
Date: 1896
Nature: FS laid 4 Dec 1896. For 500 children. 5 storeys. Builder: Collen Bros. £3,700.
Refs: Irish Times, 5 Dec 1896; IB 38, 15 Dec 1896, 256; B 71, 12 Dec 1896, 498

Building: CO. MEATH, ARDBRACCAN, RECTORY
Date: 1896
Nature: JFF prepares plans for alterations to same to convert it into See House for diocese of Meath.
Refs: Irish Times, 19 Oct 1896.

Building: CO. GALWAY, CLONFERT, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRENDAN (CI)
Date: 1896-1900
Nature: Restoration (incl. new floor, stalls, pews, removal of gallery at W end, opening of arches &c.). £2,225. Art metal work, including altar rail designed by JFF, by J. & C. McGloughlin, Gt Brunswick St, Dublin.
Refs: Irish Times, 7 Sep 1896,24 Aug,31 Dec 1897, 7 Mar,21 Oct 1898, 4 Jan,12 fEB 1900;  IB 38, 15 Sep 1896, 191; 39, 1 Sep 1897, 175; 41, 1 Nov 1899, 169; 42, 15 Jan,15 Feb,1 Mar,1 Oct 1900, 247,275,299,499; B 72, 30 Jan 1897, 104; 78, 17 Feb 1900, 238; 73, 129 Sep 1900, 267;  Building News 71, 11 Sep 1896, 395; 78, 9,16 Feb,14 Sep 1900, 187,248,368;  Tuam Herald, 19 Sep 1896.

Building: CO. GALWAY, BALLINASLOE, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1897
Nature: Works at, with John F. Kempster.
Refs: 46th Report on…Lunatic Asylums (1897), 18

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BALLINASTOW, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1897
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 39, 1 Feb 1897, 23

Building: CO. DUBLIN, TEMPLEOGUE, CHERRYFIELD?
Date: 1897
Nature: Gate lodge and greenhouse, for J[T.?]. Talbot Power. Contractor: H. Sharp.
Refs: IAA, PKS B17/35

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BALLINATONE, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1897
Nature: New glebe house to be erected for Rev. William Reeves Scully.
Refs: IB 39, 1 Feb 1897, 23.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BALLINASTON, MAIN ROAD, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1897
Nature: New glebe house on main road from Bray to Roundwood. Tenders invited for building same, Jan 1897.
Refs: Irish Times, 23 Jan 1897.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MULLAVILLY (TANDRAGEE), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1897
Nature: New chancel, vestry and other improvements. 
Refs: Irish Times, 12 Apr 1897;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),546.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BALLYMUN ROAD (GLASNEVIN), ALBERT AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE?
Date: 1897
Nature: Tenders invited for additions 'to the Branch House, situated in Glasnevin, of the Marlborough Street Training College', Jul 1897.  For Commissioners of National Education.
Refs: Irish Times, 10 Jul 1897.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, NAVAN, COURT HOUSE (PROPOSED)
Date: 1897
Nature: JFF prepares plans and estimate for erection of new court house for Co. Meath Grand Jury.  Not carried out.
Refs: Irish Times, 24 Nov 1898.

Building: CO. SLIGO, COOLAVIN
Date: 1897-98
Nature: For Hon. Hugh MacDermot.
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 89(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD, NO. 001-5 (ST STEPHEN'S PAROCHIAL HALL)
Date: 1897-99
Nature: JFF prepares plans, 1897. Estimated cost, £2,000. FS laid 7 Apr 1899. Builder: Benjamin Millard, Pleasants St.
Refs: IB 41, 15 Apr 1899, 46

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEAFIELD ROAD (CLONTARF), CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (CI)
Date: 1897-99
Nature: Addition of chancel and porch. Contractor: J.F. Lidwill. Cost about £1,500. Marble mosaic pavement in chancel by De Grelle & Houdret, London. Chancel dedicated by Archbishop of Dublin, 17? Mar 1899.
Refs: IB 39, 1 Nov 1897, 210; 41, 1 Mar 1899, 33;  Irish Times, 9 Mar 1899.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, GREYSTONES, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Enlargement to seat 150 more people. Contractor: R.E. Mellon, Rathgar.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Jan 1898, 8; Wicklow Newsletter, 9 Jul 1898

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH STRAND ROAD, INFANTS' SCHOOLS
Date: 1898
Nature: In course of erection. Builder: B. Millard.
Refs: IB 40, 15 Feb 1898, 28

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH STRAND ROAD, PAROCHIAL HALL
Date: 1898
Nature: In course of erection. Builder: B. Millard.
Refs: IB 40, 15 Feb 1898, 28

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH STRAND ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S INFANT SCHOOL
Date: 1898
Nature: New infant school. FS laid,15 Mar 1898. Formally opened, 23 Nov 1898.  Builder: Benjamin Millard.
Refs: Irish Times, 19 Mar,24 Nov 1898.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, PAROCHIAL HALL (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: New parochial hall. Opened 28 May 1898 by Archbishop of Dublin. Total cost about £1,500. Builder: Benjamin Millard.
Refs: Irish Times, 30 Masy 1898.

Building: CO. KERRY, WATERVILLE, CABLE STATION
Date: 1899
Nature: New cable station, offices and dwellings for officials. For Commercial Cable Co. Tenders invited, Jan 1899. Builder: S. Hill, Cork. £4,349
Refs: Irish Times, 9 Jan 1899;  IB 41, 15 Feb 1899, 25

Building: CO. CLARE, KILLALOE, CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1899
Nature: Rebuilding of tower. Tenders invited, Jun 1899.
Refs: Irish Times, 3 Jun 1899.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET NORTH GREAT, NO. 033-35 (MALE TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGE)
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: Sundry works, for National Board of Education. Tenders invited, Aug 1899.
Refs: Irish Times, 11 Aug 1899;  IB 41, 15 Sep 1899, 130; 42, 1 Aug 1900, 434.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, NO. 087-88 (NATIONAL CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL)
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: New extern department comprising 'large and comfortable' waiting rooms, consulting rooms, and pharmacy; w entrance from Clonmel St.
Refs: Irish Times, 2 Mar 1900; IB 42, 15 Mar 1900, 309.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COOMBE, ST LUKE'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: Addition of barrel-vaulted chancel.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 626.

Building: CO. GALWAY, BALLINASLOE, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1900
Nature: Range and cooking apparatus.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Jul,1 Sep 1900, 414,474

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DONNYBROOK, PAROCHIAL HALL
Date: 1900
Nature: New hall, 60 x 30 ft with 'handsome' entrance porch. Cost about £1,700. Opened 21 Jun 1900. Builder: B. Millard.
Refs: Irish Times, 22 Jun 1900;  IB 42, 15 Jul 1900, 422

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, STRAND ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM (OLD)
Date: 1900-1901
Nature: Proposed adds. (with C.A. Owen); 'likely to be abandoned', 1901.
Refs: IB 42, 15 Apr 1900, 334; 43, 30 Jan 1901, 607

Building: CO. DERRY, GRANSHA, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM (NEW)
Date: 1900a
Nature: 'Messrs. Owen and Fuller', send in claim for £1,963 for professional fees, 1900.
Refs: IB 42, 15 Apr 1900, 334

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1901
Nature: Extensive alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun 1901, 753; 45, 23 Apr 1903, ?

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, DUNDRUM ROAD, CRIMINAL LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1901
Nature: Alts. & adds.
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun 1901, 753

Building: CO. WEXFORD, FERNS, CATHEDRAL OF ST EDAN (CI)
Date: 1901-02
Nature: Restoration. 'The nave was thoroughly restored, reseated and tiled, the roof artistically lined, a new Chancel arch, from the design of J.F. Fuller, F.S.A erected, and stalls for the Dean and Chapter.'(Leslie) Builder: Webster, Gorey.
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun 1901, 753; 44, 4 Dec 1902, 1504(or 1506?); J.B. Leslie, Ferns Clergy and Parishes (1936), 160.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, HERBERT ROAD, ST PAUL'S SCHOOL (CI)
Date: 1901-04
Nature: New schools. Begun 1903.  Opened 22 Jun 1904. Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey, Belfast & Dublin.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 21 Sep 1901; 5 Mar 1902,21 Nov,9 Dec 1903,25 Jun 1904;  IB 41, 1 Oct 1899, 150; 46, 19 Nov 1904, 775(or 776?),778(illus.).


Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1901-07
Nature: New buildings, 1901-04 (Builder: Sam Hill, Cork, £15,450). Consumptive blocks, 1906-07 (Builder: Thomas Holloway & Son, Cahir).
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun,29 Aug,26 Sep 1901, 752,844,872; 46, 23,27 Aug,10 Sep 1904, 526,562,586; 48, 24 Feb,10 Mar,1 Dec 1906, 164,209,968; 49, 20 Apr,1 Jun,14 Dec 1907, 288,385,861; B 87, 13 Aug 1904, 192 ; 92, 13 Apr 1907, 459;  58th Report on…Lunatic Asylums (1909), 32.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONSKEAGH ROAD, VERGEMOUNT ISOLATION HOSPITAL
Date: 1902
Nature: New. For Rathmines & Pembroke Joint Hospitals Board.
Refs: IB 43, 27 Feb,27 Mar 1902, 1060,1088

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET NORTH GREAT, NO. 034
Date: 1902
Nature: Works at.
Refs: IB 44, 20 Nov,4 Dec 1902, 1490,1504

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1902-04
Nature: Adds. and alts, including new boiler house.
Refs: 51st Report on District, Criminal and Private Lunatic Asylums (1902), 531; IB 46, 30 Jan,1,27 Feb,26 Mar,7 May 1904, 63,86,122,190,294

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH STREET, TEACHER TRAINING COLLEGE
Date: 1902-04; 1908;1914;1915
Nature: New laboratory and lecture theatre, repairs, electric lighting, 1902-4; tenders invited for plastering ceilings of residence for female King's Scholars, Mar 1908; further repairs and alts., 1914; drying room, cookery room, 1915.
Refs: IB 44, 8 May 1902, 1240; 45, 18 Jun,30 Jul,10 Sep,17,31 Dec 1903, 1830,1904,1978,1982,3046,3072; 46, 7 May 1904, 294; 56, 26 Sep 1914, 558; B 92, 10 May 1902, 484;  Freeman's Journal, 25 Mar 1908,20 Jan,3 Mar 1915..

Building: CO. WICKLOW, AVOCA, CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY (CI, CASTLEMACADAM PARISH)
Date: 1903
Nature: Renovation of chancel under personal supervision of the rector, John Moore Robinson (1857-1930), who drew design of floral wreath around the reredos (gift of Miss Gregory) and also carved one of the spandrils. Floor laid with tiles, walls re-plastered.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 4,11 Apr 1903

Building: CO. MEATH, LOUGHCREW, CHURCH OF ST KIERAN (CI)
Date: 1904
Nature: New chancel.
Refs: Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 384

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, BARONSTON HOUSE
Date: 1904
Nature: Tudor villa replacing earlier house, which JJF rebuilt first 'for the late Col Malone' and second on a smaller scale for 'the present Col. Malone' after it was twice burned.
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 33(illus.); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 347

Building: CO. KERRY, DUNKERRON HOUSE
Date: 1904
Nature: Rebuilding, for Sir John Colomb. Builder: S. Hill, Cork. £3,055.
Refs: IB 46, 7 May 1904, 294; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184

Building: CO. WICKLOW, STRATFORD-ON-SLANEY, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (CI)
Date: 1904
Nature: New church  consecrated. Builder: Webster, Gorey. (Replaced church of 1790 which had become structurally unsound, see Wicklow Newsletter, 13 Jul 1901).
Refs: IB 46, 7 May 1904, 286; B 86, 14 May 1904, 528.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, AVOCA, HOUSING DEVELOPMENT (PROPOSED)
Date: 1904
Nature: Land mapped out & plans prepared by JFF.
Refs: IB 46, 3 Dec 1904, 801

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, CHURCH (CI, TULLOW PARISH)
Date: 1904
Nature: Alts., new nave & chancel. Builder: Geo. W. Scott & Co, Usher's Quay.
Refs: IB 46, 16 Jul 1904, 444,450(or 446?,illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD SOUTH (RIALTO), NO. 071 (ST JAMES'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS, CI)
Date: 1904
Nature: FS laid June 1904.
Refs: IB 46, 18 Jun 1904, 386

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, IRISHTOWN ROAD, ST MATTHEW'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1904
Nature: Nearly opposite church. Co. Dublin granite with dressings of red Portmarnock brick. Builder: Benjamin Pemberton, Sandymount. £2,000. Opened Oct 1904.
Refs: IB 46, 13 Feb,2 Jul,22 Oct 1904, 86,422,698,703(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WERBURGH STREET, ST WERBURGH'S NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1904
Nature: New. Builder: J. & T. Pemberton. £1,500.
Refs: IB 46, 7 May 1904, 294

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SANDYFORD, MURPHYSTOWN ROAD, GLENCAIRN
Date: 1904-05
Nature: Remodelling of former residence of Judge James Murphy, For Richard Croker. Builder: Laverty & Sons, Belfast.
Refs: IB 46, 24 Sep 1904, 624; 47, 14 Jan 1905, 5; 51, 10 Jul 1909, 424(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 457

Building: CO. WICKLOW, GREYSTONES, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1905
Nature: Alts. to gallery.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 25 Feb,27 May 1905

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HEYTESBURY STREET, MEATH HOSPITAL
Date: 1905-07
Nature: Nurses' home. Builder: Pemberton. £5,947. Opened May 1907.
Refs: IAA, PKS B20/34, A/08 (Apr 1905); IB 47, 15 Jul,23 Sep,4 Nov 1905, 502,676,797; 49, 18 May 1907, 361; B 89, 22 Jul 1905, 108

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST MOBHI ROAD (GLASNEVIN), MARLBOROUGH HALL
Date: 1905-08;1911;19
Nature: New residence for male students.  £30,000. Builder: Laverty, Dublin & Belfast. Electric lighting, 1908. Opened by Lord Lieutenant, 24 Aug 1908.  Alts & adds., 1911. Drying room added, 1915.
Refs: Drawings dated 1905 in OPW F 6.6.; IB 47, 25 Jan,25 Mar,20 May 1905, 185,358; 48, 11 Aug 1906, 648; 49, 20 Apr 1907, 288; 50, 4 Apr,13 Jun,5 Sep 1908, 213,378,551; 57, 30 Jan 1915, 57; 68, 12 Jun 1926, 450;  Freeman's Journal, 25 Aug1908;  Building News 101, 4 Aug 1911, 151

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ARRAN QUAY, NO. 033 (NATIONAL BANK)
Date: 1905-1907
Nature: New Tudor Gothic branch bank. Completed 1907. Builder: J. Donovan & Son. £3,442.
Refs: IAA, PKS, 0891, B20/51, B21/10, A07 (Dec 1905); IB 48, 13 Jan,30 Jun,15 Dec 1906, 34,505,1008; 49, 9 Mar 1907, 157;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 264.

Building: CO. LAOIS, DURROW, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1906
Nature: Memorial stone tracery window, for Lord Ashbrook. Executant: C.W. Harrison & Sons.
Refs: IB 48, 20 Oct 1906, 850

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET, SHOPS
Date: 1906
Nature: Conversion of 3 houses into shops. For Mr Pemberton, Ballybrack.
Refs: IB 48, 20 Oct 1906, 848

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHURCH ROAD (FINGLAS), RECTORY
Date: 1906
Nature: Adds., for RCB. Builder: George J. Crampton.
Refs: IB 48, 20 Oct 1906, 848

Building: CO. MEATH, RATHCORE HOUSE (ENFIELD)
Date: 1906
Nature: New cut-stone piers, gates & sweeps, for Patrick James Kennedy, J.P.
Refs: IB 48, 29 Dec 1906, 1048

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, DONNYBROOK PARISH)
Date: 1906-07
Nature: New organ chamber and porch. Builder: Crampton
Refs: IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 1008;  Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 25.

Building: CO. MEATH, JULIANSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1906-07;1914
Nature: Adds., including tower and spire, 1906-7. New chancel, 1914. For Col. Charles Pepper. Builder: McLaughlin & Harvey.
Refs: Undated side elevation in IAA, Acc. 92/41; IAA, PKS 0950, B21/08, B22/14, A08 (Nov 1906); IB 48, 15 Dec 1906, 1008; 49, 26 Jan 1907, 60

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, CONVALESCENT HOME
Date: 1908
Nature: Adds. Builder: R. Heatley, Bray.
Refs: IB 50, 27 Jun 1908, 405

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEMON STREET, NO. 013
Date: 1908
Nature: Alts. to extend primises of Anderson, Stanford & Ridgeway. Builder: John Pemberton, Ranelagh Rd.
Refs: IB 50, ? Dec 1908, 773

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY ST MIDDLE, NO. 102 & 104
Date: 1909
Nature: Structural alts. to premises of former Abbey Hotel. Builder: G. & T. Crampton.
Refs: IB 51, 3 Apr 1909, 209

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ANNE STREET SOUTH, NO. 007 (ANDERSON, STANFORD & RIDGEWAY)
Date: 1909
Nature: New shop front and alts. Builder: John Pemberton, Ranelagh Rd.
Refs: IB 51, 1 May 1909, 277

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 001 (P.J. MCCABE)
Date: 1909
Nature: New premises. Estimated cost £1,670. Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey. For P.J. McCabe or Linnane & Co.?
Refs: IAA, PKS B21/48, A08 (Sep 1909); IB 51, 30 Oct 1909, 693

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST AUGUSTINE STREET, NO. 007-11 (J.H. WEBB & CO.)
Date: 1909-1910
Nature: New premises. Estimated cost £3,346.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0897, B21/43, A08 (Aug 1909)

Building: CO. KERRY, CALLINAFERCY (KILLORGLIN)
Date: 1909ca
Nature: Alts.for M.R. Leeson-Marshall, DL.
Refs: Signed, undated plans for earlier unexecuted scheme loaned to IAA for copying by John Knightly, 19 Lr Drumcondra Rd, Dublin 9 (photographs in IAA); J. Williams, Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 226-27

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARL STREET NORTH, NO. 002A & 2B
Date: 1910
Nature: Fitting up new shops. Builder: McLaughlin & Harvey.
Refs: IB 52, 30 Apr 1910, 285

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 109 (F. BARRETT & CO.)
Date: 1910
Nature: Rebuilding of premises.
Refs: IB 52, 5 Mar 1910, 133

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 002-2A
Date: 1910
Nature: Alts. Estimated cost £1,369 (including alts. to No. 8?).
Refs: IAA, A08 (Mar 1910)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 008
Date: 1910
Nature: Alts. £1,369 (including alts. to Nos. 2 & 2a).
Refs: IAA, A08 (Mar 1910)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, GREYSTONES, TEMPLECARRIG HOUSE
Date: 1911
Nature: Extensive alts. ?For F.H. De Burgh. Builder:G.H. Dawson, Amiens St.
Refs: IB 53, 4,18 Mar 1911, 137,177

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1911
Nature: Nurses home ('an isolated building for the accommodation of the nursing staff'.
Refs: IB 53, 4 Mar,15 Apr 1911, 154,249; IA & C 1, 15 Apr 1911, 158

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NO. 038
Date: 1911
Nature: Rebuilding premises as extension of Kilworth House Hotel. Contractor: Farmer Bros, Nottingham St.
Refs: IB 53, 15 Apr 1911, 245; IA & C 1, 22 apr 1911, 172

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHMICHAEL, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1911
Nature: Memorial pulpit, executed by C.W. Harrison.
Refs: IB 53, 8 Jul 1911, 458

Building: CO. WICKLOW, AUGHRIM, ARDEE ROW, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1911-13
Nature: New church on site given by Earl and Countess of Meath. White local granite with circular chancel. Opened 1913. Builder: R. & J. Saville, Rathdrum.
Refs: IB 53, 16 Sep 1911, 629; 55, 7 Jun 1913, 383; Wicklow Newsletter, 16 Sep 1911, 16 Mar 1912; Building News 104, 13 Jun 1913, 819

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRIDGE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1911?
Nature: Partial restoration of doorway.
Refs: IA & C 1, 1 Apr 1911, 129

Building: CO. GALWAY, GORT, NATIONAL BANK
Date: 1912
Nature: £2,350.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0910, B21/83, 919, A09 (Nov 1912)

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, MITCHELL STREET, NATIONAL BANK
Date: 1912
Nature: New office. Builder: Sam. Hill, Cork. £5,000 or £5,220.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0912, A09 (Aug 1912); IB 54, 31 Aug 1912, 497,515 (where wrongly called Munster & Leinster Bank)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT STREET LOWER, NO. 060 (SEWELL, SON, & SIMPSON)
Date: 1912
Nature: Structural alts. & adds., including large motor garage with entrance on Holles Lane 'running alognside ... existing stabling and auction mart'. Contractor: Collen Bros.
Refs: IB 54, 17 Feb,27 Apr 1912, 110,257

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD, ST STEPHEN'S CHURCH SCHOOLS
Date: 1912
Nature: New classroom and porch. Builder: G. & T. Crampton.
Refs: IB 54, 26 Oct 1912, 611; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 489

Building: CO. MEATH, GIBBSTOWN HOUSE
Date: 1912-14
Nature: Rebuilding after fire in April 1912, for Thomas Gerrard, DL. Builder: G. & T. Crampton. £23,739. Plasterer: George Rome.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0003. A09 (Sep,Oct 1912,Nov 1914); IB 54, 54, 13,27 Apr,21 Dec 1912, 213,266,728; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 211-12;  Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 28-31(illus.)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, GARTAN, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI)
Date: 1913
Nature: New aisle and 3-light window in E wall dedicated. Window represents Columba's baptism, his landing at Iona and his death.
Refs: Building News 105, 3 Oct 1913, 490; but cf. Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 304, andClergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), Pt 1, 139

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FISHAMBLE STREET, NATIONAL SCHOOL (CI)
Date: 1913-15
Nature: New school for Rev. W.J. McCreery and trustees. Builder: Farmer Bros. £4,097.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0956, B22/04 and A09 (May 1913); IB 56, 14 Feb 1914, 103; 57, 24 Apr 1915, 197

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DUNRAN HOUSE
Date: 1914
Nature: Rebuilding, for R.H. Wingfield, after destruction by fire. £2,571.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0948 and A09 (May 1914)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 034
Date: 1914
Nature: Alterations. For ?Dundon & Co.
Refs: IB 56, 25 Apr 1914, 263

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, MAIN STREET, NO. 032 (NATIONAL BANK)
Date: 1915-16
Nature: Adds. at rear and new strongrooms in basement. Builder: John Pemberton, Ranelagh. £2,089.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0946, B22/20 and A09 (Sep 1915); B 58, 12 Feb 1916, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 046
Date: 1917
Nature: Rebuilding. Builder: Farmer Bros, Nottingham St.
Refs: IB 59, 8 Dec 1917, 625

Building: CO. KERRY, DERRYQUIN CASTLE
Date: ?
Nature: Castellated house for the Bland family. (Burnt out 1922)
Refs: Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 102(illus.)

Building: CO. KERRY, GARINISH (OR GARNISH) ISLAND (SNEEM), GARINISH LODGE
Date: ?
Nature: For 3rd Earl of Dunraven, who purchased island in 1855. (cf. Garinish Cottage).
Refs: Valerie Bary, Houses of Kerry (1994), 121-2; Patrick Bowe, 'Irish sporting lodges', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 113(illus.).

Building: CO. KERRY, DERREEN
Date: ?
Nature: Works at same, for 5th Marquess of Lansdowne. (House destroyed, 1922)
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184

Building: CO. KERRY, DRUMQUINNA (KENMARE)
Date: ?
Nature: Work at same, for Sir John Colomb (succeeded father, 1874; knighted, 1888)
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184

Building: CO. KERRY, BALLYSEEDY
Date: ?
Nature: Work for Arthur Blennerhassett.
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 28(illus.)

Building: CO. KILDARE, HARRISTOWN HOUSE (KILCULLEN)
Date: ?
Nature: Restoration after fire of 1900ca, for John La Touche.
Refs: J.F. Fuller, 'Reminiscences of Fifty Years', IB Jubilee Number 1909, 25; J.F. Fuller, Omniana (1916), 184; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 149(illus.)

Building: CO. LAOIS, RATHDAIRE, CHURCH (CI) *
Date: ?
Nature: See, above, CO. LAOIS, LEA, MEMORIAL CHURCH (CI)
Refs:

Building: CO. MAYO, ATHAVALLIE HOUSE (BALLA)
Date: ?
Nature: New? house.
Refs: Letter from JFF about house for Sir R.L. Bloss (?Athavallie) to Secretary of RCB in press cuttings belonging to Mrs D. Millar, circa 1976

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, LOUGHMOE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: 3 drawings of new chancel by 'A. Fuller' (?J.F. Fuller) in NLI.
Refs: NLI A.D. 1942-1950 (there are also unsigned and undated drawings, plan, section, elevations, in RCB Library, MS 139 (C:\WP51ARCH))

Building: CO. WICKLOW, KILRUDDERY
Date: ?
Nature: 4 labourers' cottages for Earl of Meath.  Entrance gate, for Lady Meath (post 1887, because gate bears initials R[eginald] M[eath] with Earl's cornonet).
Refs: Undated drawings in collection of Earl of Meath, Kilruddery (photograph of design for gate in IAA, Reading Room box files).

Author Title Date Details
Fuller, James Franklin 'The trial of Rowan Cashell, gentleman attorney' 1901,1903,1904 JCHAS 7 (1901), 147-166; 9 (1903), 69; 10 (1904), 36-47.
Fuller, James Franklin 'The to Hell or Connaught Act' 1902 JCHAS 8 (1902), 126-7.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Terry Pedigree' 1903 JCHAS 9 (1903), 274-76.
Fuller, James Franklin 'An exact relation of the persecutions…sustained by tbe Protestants of Killina[Killinane?], 1698{1689?]' 1903 JCHAS 9 (1903), 175-187.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Carden Terry' 1903 JCHAS 9 (1903), 66-68.
Fuller, James Franklin 'The trial of Florence Newton for Witchcraft in Cork 1661' 1904 JCHAS 10 (1904), 174-83.
Fuller, James Franklin 'The Heiress of Dromana two hundred years ago' 1904 JCHAS 10 (1904), 10-18.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Kinsale in 1641 and 1642' 1907 JCHAS 13 (1907), 1-18.
Fuller, James Franklin 'The Murphy Family of Newtown near Bantry' 1908 JCHAS 14 (1908), 205.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Reminiscences of fifty years' 1909 IB Jubilee Number (1909), 24-26.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Fuller Pedigree' 1910 JCHAS 16 (1910), 88-89.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Cramer Pedigree' 1910 JCHAS 16 (1910), 143.
Fuller, James Franklin 'An O'Sullivan Note' 1913 JCHAS 19 (1913), 96-7.
Fuller, James Franklin Omniana: the authobiography of an Irish octagenarian 1916 London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1916; 'New and enlarged edition', n.d.
Fuller, James Franklin 'The career of Harman Blennerhassett' 1918 Journal of the Kerry Archaeological Association 4 (1916-18), 16,75.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Notes on the names of inhabitants of Kilmichael in 1766' 1921 JCHAS 27 (1921), 44-45.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Two forgotten Kerrymen' 1921 JCHAS 27 (1921), 69-72.
Fuller, James Franklin 'Two brothers, curates of Bandon' 1922 JCHAS 28 (1922), 99-108.
Fuller, James Franklin 'The Tones, father and son' 1924 JCHAS 29 (1924), 93-101.
Fuller, James Franklin [Three articles on Gothic revival] ? In Building News circa 1852; see Omniana, 146
Xxx xxx
xxx