FORREST, EDWARD V.
- Born: - Died: -
County surveyor for Co. Monaghan, 1834-1839, and Co. Laois, 1839-1841. Edward V. Forrest is first heard of in January 1828, when he became an accountant in the Boundary Survey Office, Dublin, under RICHARD GRIFFITH. I n the early 1830s he began to practise as an engineer, and on 17 May 1834 he was appointed county surveyor for Co. Monaghan.. In May 1839 he exchanged posts with ALEXANDER HARRISON , county surveyor for Co. Laois, rumour having it that Harrison had had to leave Co. Laois 'from a feeling of a political and sectarian character against him'.(1) Although he seems to have started off well, in July 1841 he was removed from his post for neglect of his duties and replaced by HENRY H. OWEN the following month. He had died by July 1856.
ICEI; founder member, 1835.(2)
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 172, which gives the fullest account of Forrest's career.
(1) Northern Standard, 20 Jul 1839 (B.O'D.).
(2) Photocopy of transcript of minutes of first meeting of Engineers' Society of Ireland, 6 Aug 1835, in IAA, Jones File F73.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for FORREST, EDWARD V.
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, MAIN STREET, COURT HOUSE|
|Nature:||EF asked for plans. According to Brett, it was built to designs by William Caldbeck in 1844.but Mulligan writes 'apparently by Edward Forrest, and not William Caldbeck, to whom it has often been attributed.'
NA/SPO CSORP 1837/1295 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster(UAHS, 1973), 93; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 220.
|Building:||CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, MACCURTAIN STREET, COURT HOUSE|
|Nature:||EF asked for plans. Building given to Caldbeck by Brett, but Mulligan suggests authorship of Edward V. Forrest on grounds that building is 'almost identical' to court house at Carrickmacross.
|Refs:||NA/SPO CSORP 1837/1295 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster(UAHS, 1973), 9 Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 274.|