County surveyor for Cos. Carlow and Louth. According to the 1911 census, Gerard Fogarty, eldest child of James P. Fogarty, general merchant, of Garrangibbon, Co. Tipperary, and his wife, Joanna, was born in Co. Tipperary in 1900 or 1901. He was educated at Rockwell College and entered the Faculty of Engineering at University College Dublin in 1918, receiving the BE degree in 1922. In the same year he joined the National Army as an engineering officer. In 1924 he became a technical officer in the Local Government Department, and subsequently joined Dublin Corporation. In 1928 he was appointed borough surveyor of Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, and in 1931 chief assistant county engineer for South Cork, based in Skibbereen. He was appointed to the county surveyorship of Co. Carlow in December 1944, and was transferred to Co. Louth in October 1946. He retired from the latter post in 1960 on account of ill health and died on 18 February 1965. He was buried in Dean's Grange cemetery.
While he was in Co. Cork, Fogarty was responsible for the construction of the Healy Pass, and during his period of office in Co. Louth he was in charge of the reconstruction of the Dundalk-Newry Road over the mountains and of the Dublin-Dundalk road at Monasterboice. According to his biography in Engineers Journal, Fogarty 'continually sought to replace traditional and empirical methods by methods based on scientific analysis' and was one of the first engineers in Ireland to base pavement design on soil survey and the analysis of subgrade strengths. He was responsible for the establishment by Louth County Council in 1957 of a fully-equipped soils and materials testing laboratory, the first such undertaking by any county council in Ireland.
Engineers' Association: member of central council; first chairman of North East Region, 1952.
ICEI: elected associate member, 2 February 1925; transferred to member, 7 December 1931.
Institution of Municipal Engineers: member in 1952.
Address: 10 Rosmeen Road, Sandycove, at time of death.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the biography of Fogarty in Engineers Journal 13 (1960), 324, which is illustrated with a portrait photograph, and from the appreciation in Engineers Journal 18 (1965), 1790, which is illustrated with the same photograph.
1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009).
Dates from O'Donoghue; Engineers Journal biography says incorrectly that Fogarty went to Carlow in 1946 and to Louth in 1948.
IB 102, 3 Sep 1960, 667.
TICEI 51 (1924-25), 82.
TICEI 58 (1931-32), 42.
list of members of Institution of Municipal Engineers, November 1952,in Irish Engineers', Architects' and Building Trades' Year Book and Diary 1952-53, 39.