FIGGIS, THOMAS PHILLIPS
- Born: 1858 Died: 1948
Architect, of Dublin and London. Thomas Phillips Figgis was born in 1858, the second son of Thomas Gilbert Figgis of Dublin and his wife Margaret Phillips.(1) After serving his articles with ALFRED GRESHAM JONES , he went to London, where he worked in the offices of A.E. Street, 1881, and John Belcher, 1882-1885. He attended the Royal Academy Schools in 1883.(2) He spent the rest of his long life in England, where he established his own practice in 1886. His works include hospitals, schools, and thirteen stations for the City and Southwark Subway (now the Northern Line).(3) He was architectural adviser to the Presbyterian Church in England. His only recorded work in Ireland is the parochial hall in Novara Road, Bray (1885-86), a commission which was won in competition.
Thomas Figgis was married to Caroline Mary Patton and had two sons, one of whom was killed in World War I.(4) He died at the age of ninety on 2 May 1948. An appreciation by his friend William A. Pite was appended to his obituary in the Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects: 'Figgis was indeed a grand old man, with all the warm-hearted characteristics of his race, his old world gallantry and courtliness will be sadly missed. He just radiated love and happiness.'
See WORKS, for Irish works only.
All information not otherwise accounted for comes from the following sources: Who's Who in Architecture (1923), 90; RIBAJ 55 (1947-48), 374; A. Stuart Gray, Edwardian Architecture (1985), 179-80; Directory of British Architects 1834-1900, 307-8.
(1) Information from Neville Figgis.
(2) But cf. IB 25, 15 Jan 1883, 30, which says that the parochial hall for the Harold's Cross district at the corner of Leinster Rd was designed by 'Jones & Figgis'.
(3) For his principal works up to 1923, see Who's Who in Architecture (1923).
(4) See note 1, above.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for FIGGIS, THOMAS PHILLIPS
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEINSTER ROAD (& HAROLD'S CROSS ROAD), HAROLD'S CROSS PARISH HALL|
|Nature:||With A.G. Jones. Builder: J. & W. Beckett.|
|Refs:||IB 25, 15 Jan 1883, 30|
|Building:||CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, NOVARA ROAD, PAROCHIAL HALL|
|Nature:||TPF wins competition with Gothic design.60 x 25 ft with massive open timber roof. Opened Jan 1886. Builder: J. & W. Beckett.|
|Refs:||IB 27, 1 Aug 1885, 223; 28, 15 Jan,1 Feb 1886, 20,36(illus.); Who's Who in Architecture (1923), 90.|