Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of the building firm of G. & R. Ferguson, Derry. George and Robert A. Ferguson appear in the Derry Almanac for 1871 and 1872 as architects practising at Pump Street, Derry.(1) However they seem to have been builders rather than architects, and are mentioned on several occasions in the the Irish Builder as having carried out works by various architects in Derry and its surroundings in 1871-73. The architectural component was presumably supplied by Robert, though the only building designed by him to be recorded in the Irish Builder is the Church of Ireland chapel of ease at Seskinore, Co. Tyrone, completed in 1873. The Irish Builder notes that this building was designed by 'Robert A. Ferguson, of the firm of Messrs. G. & R. Ferguson, Londonderry, builders, by whom the work was executed'.(2) Is it possible that Robert A. Ferguson moved to Dublin in the 1870s? An architect of this name is recorded as living at 1 Foyle Terrace, Clontarf, from 1879 or earlier until 1900 or later. The name of the terrace may be significant.(3)



References



(1) The connection of George and Robert A. Ferguson with the Robert Ferguson who was practising as a builder in Derry in 1862-67 has not been established. Could they have been his sons?.

(1) IB 15, 15 Sep 1873, 255.
(2) IB 15, 15 Sep 1873, 255; see also J.S. Curl, The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 (1986), 422.
(3) Thom's and Post Office Directories 1879,1883,1896,1900.


1 work entries listed in chronological order for FERGUSON, ROBERT A.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. TYRONE, SESKINORE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1873
Nature: New Early Gothic chapel-of-ease in parish of Clogherny in grounds of Seskinore House for George Perry McClintock. 'The plans were prepared by Mr Robert A. Ferguson, of the firm of Messrs. G. & R. Ferguson, Londonderry, builders, by whom the work was executed'. consecrated Sep? 1873.
Refs: IB 15, 15 Sep 1873, 255; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 485