Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. Nothing is known about Farrell's early life and training. He may be the person of the same name who was clerk to ROBERT WOODGATE  ROBERT WOODGATE and FRANCIS JOHNSTON  FRANCIS JOHNSTON at the Board of Works from 1801 until he was dismissed in 1810.(1) He is recorded as having taken SINCLAIR BATES  SINCLAIR BATES as an apprentice in 1809, and JOHN LOUCH  JOHN LOUCH in 1813.(2) His first appearance in Wilson's Dublin Directory is in 1812, when his address is given as 61 Queen Street. He became a freeman of the City of Dublin as a member of the Guild of Carpenters at Michaelmas 1816.(3)  By 1814 or earlier he had become architect to the Incorporated Society for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland.(4)  In 1823, after the death of JOHN BOWDEN JOHN BOWDEN , when the responsibilities of architect to the Board of First Fruits were divided between several architects, he was given charge of the ecclesiastical province of Armagh.(5) He retained this position after the Board was replaced by the Irish Ecclesiastical Commission in 1839 and remained in it until the Commission was reorganized with a single architect, JOSEPH WELLAND JOSEPH WELLAND , in 1843.(6) In 1840 Farrell and FREDERICK DARLEY  FREDERICK DARLEY reported on GEORGE PAPWORTH' GEORGE PAPWORTH' s plans for the Royal Dublin Society.(7)

William Farrell died towards the end of 1851.(8)   He had married Amelia Ann Dugood on 6 August 1808,(9) by whom he had several children, including Sarah (baptised 1809), FRANCIS JAMES FARRELL  FRANCIS JAMES FARRELL (baptised 1810), Arthur Thomas, who was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, in 1830 at the age of seventeen,(10) and Frederick (baptised 1829).  During the 1830s he took Francis James into partnership.(11) He was one of several architects to be attacked in the satirical poem, 'An Essay on the Rise and Progress of Architectural Taste in Dublin…by Nicolson Numskull, Esq.' which was published in 1832:(12) 'With rosy gills - round as a little barrel, A first fruits architect - see Billy F-rr-ll, Who thrives and fattens on anothers brains, He toils and labours - Billy counts the gains.'

In addition to Sinclair Bates and John Louch, Farrell's pupils and assistants included JAMES JOSEPH MCCARTHY JAMES JOSEPH MCCARTHY , PARKE NEVILLE  PARKE NEVILLE and SANDHAM SYMES. SANDHAM SYMES. (13)

An album of designs by William Farrell on paper watermarked 1814 and 1817 is in the Houghton Library, Harvard University, ref. RAN 1/N/4.(14) Plans, sections and elevations by Farrell for outbuildings at Glanmore Castle, Co. Wicklow, 1815, are in the IAA, Acc. 88/90.

Aged and Infirm Carpenters' Asylum (founded 1832): president from 1835(15) or earlier until 1842(16) or later.
RIAI: council member, 1839(17)-1849; 'Mssrs Farrell' apply to be raised to fellow, 12 December 1842;(18) vice-president, 1849-1851.(19)

Addresses:(20) 61 Queen Street, 1812; 11 Kildare Street, 1813-21; 46 St Stephen's Green, 1823-26; 55 St Stephens' Green East, 1827-33; 33 Dawson Street and Sydney Lodge, 1835; 2 Ely Place, 1836-37; 17 Merrion Row, 1839; 112 Baggot Street Lower, 1839;(21) 113 Baggot Street Lower, 1843 until death.

See WORKS.



References



(1) Board of Works minutes, 30 Dec 1808, 20 Jul,16 Aug 1810 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44); the circumstances of his dismissal are decribed in full by Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan, 'New light on Ballyfin', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 92-93.
(2) Letter from Rolf Loeber to E. McParland, 9 Nov 1973 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 52; his admission was by Grace Especial rather than birth or service.
(4) Gentleman's and Citizen's Amanack (1814), 185.
(5) See Wilson's Dublin Directory, 1824, 135. A descendant of Farrell's pupil Sandham Symes, William Harvey, 86 Beechwood Drive, Broomhill, Glasgow, holds the following drawings by Farrell which appear to relate to his responsibilities as architect for the province of Armagh: undated plan and elevations for a neo-Norman cathedral, signed William Farrell, Architect; unsigned, undated plan and elevations (in same hand) for a Gothic cathedral; unsigned, undated west elevation of a church with a square tower and side entrances.
(6) North West Ulster, 64.
(7) Royal Dublin Society Proceedings 76/41 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(8) RIAI council meeting minutes, 18 Nov 1851, 94; general meeting minutes, 18 Dec 1851, 99; B 9, 20 Dec 1851, 805.
(9) Information about Farrell's marriage and the baptisms of several of their children is from  Irish Genealogy, http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited, Feb 2014).
(10) G.D. Burtchaell & T.U. Sadleir, eds., Alumni Dublinenses (1935), I, 274.
(11)   During the 1830s Wilson's and the Post Office directories list the practice as 'William Farrell & Sons', but a drawing for Dromore church, Co. Tyrone, dated October 1839, in RCB, Portfolio 3A is signed 'William Farrell & Son, 112 Baggot St Lwr, Dublin'.
(12) RIA, Haliday Pamphlets 1542/7 (photocopy in IAA).
(13) IB 36, 15 Jul 1894, 169.
(14) See John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96-97.
(15) Freeman's Journal, 23 Nov 1835.
(16) Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's Directories. 
(17) Account of inaugural meeting in Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal 2 (Oct 1839), 394.
(18) RIAI council meeting minutes, 12 Dec 1842, 19.
(19) Typescript list of RIAI officers in IAA; RIAI report, 21 Nov 1850 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(20) From Wilson's, Post Office, Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories unles otherwise indicated.
(21) See note 7, above.


100 work entries listed in chronological order for FARRELL, WILLIAM


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, WELLINGTON TESTIMONIAL
Date: 1814ca
Nature: Design for monument.
Refs: Elevation in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) no. 60; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 97.

Building: CO. DOWN, PORTAFERRY HOUSE
Date: 1814ca-1821
Nature: Scheme by Charles Lilly, 1790, apparently completed by Farrell, who made extensive additions, including E. wing and stair hall at the rear. For Andrew Nugent.
Refs: Plans in PRONI, T1293; E.R.R. Green & F.M. Jope, 'Patron and architect: an example of relations in the late 18th century', Ulster Journal of Archaeology24-25 (1962), 146; Archaeological Survey of Co. Down (HMSO (1966), 379, Pls. 169-173,178,179,181; G.P. Bell, C.E.B. Brett, R. Matthew, Portaferry & Strangford (UAHS, 1969), 20 (no. 67), 24(illus.)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, GLANMORE CASTLE (ASHFORD)
Date: 1815
Nature: Outbuildings, for Francis Synge.
Refs: Plans, sections & elevations, dated 1815, in IAA, Glanmore Castle drawings, Acc. 88/90.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, TANEY PARISH)
Date: 1815-18
Nature: New church, consecrated 21 Jun 1818.  'The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £4300, in 1818, is a spacious and handsome cruciform structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower;  the interior was thoroughly renovated in 1835, for which purpose the Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £256.'(Lewis)
Refs: Ground and gallery plans and N. elevation in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 3-5; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96;  Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 595;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 298.
 


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE PLACE, SCHOOL
Date: 1815p
Nature: Designed (or surveyed by?) WF for Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor of Ireland
Refs: Site plan and plan of school house &c, former dated Dec 1815, in collection of Church of Ireland Training College, Rathmines.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, NO. 019 (ROYAL IRISH ACADEMY)
Date: 1816
Nature: Submits plans for alts.
Refs: RIA minutes, Feb 1816 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH, NO. 191-195 (FEMALE ORPHAN HOUSE)
Date: 1817-19
Nature: Designs for addition of Gothic chapel wing and offices to existing classical block.
Refs: General plan and elevation(s) in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 1,2, see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96; details of chapel? plasterwork, inscr. Females Orphan House and s. William Farrell in NLI, Stapleton Collection, 2341, see Eugenie Carr, 'A catalogue of the Stapleton family collection of drawings in the National Library of Ireland', unpublished MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1985, 1206; PP 1819 (334) xvii. 671 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); NA/SPO 567/477/1 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SWORDS, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI)
Date: 1818a
Nature: 'The church has been lately re-built after a design suggested by Mr French [i.e.Michael Frederick Trench], of Heywood...skilfully carried into effect by Mr. Farrel, architect' (Brewer). 'The church, completed in 1818 by aid of a loan of £2500 from the late Board of First Fruits is a handsome building of hewn stone in the pointed style of architecture:  the interior is fitted up neatly but without any display of ornamental decoration;  a gallery, in which is an organ, extends across the west end; the east window is of modern painted glass.  The belfry tower is that of the former church, which was allowed to remain when the rest of the edifeice was taken down; it stands a little detached from the main building.'(Lewis).
Refs: J.N. Brewer, Beauties of Ireland (1825), I, 246;  Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), 584.

Building: CO. TYRONE, MOY, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI)
Date: 1819
Nature: New church built 1819 at cost of £1,569.4s.7¼d. WF corresponds with Primate Beresford about it. Did he design it?
Refs: NLI, special list 155 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44);  J.B. Leslie, Armagh Clergy & Parishes  (1911), 377;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013),  128.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KEVIN STREET, CHARTER SCHOOL
Date: 1819
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out alterations to designs by WF.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 23 Jul 1819.

Building: CO. DERRY, MAGHERA, RECTORY
Date: 1820
Nature: New glebe house opposite church for Rev. James Spencer Knox. Cost £4,000; 'gaunt cubic house' (Rowan).
Refs: A. Day, P. McWilliams & L. English, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol. 18, 66-67; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 411

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, COLEBROOKE PARK
Date: 1820-23
Nature: Large classical house incorporating earlier parts, for Sir Henry Brooke, Bt. Contractors: Colborne & Richards.
Refs: Indenture between Thomas Colbourne of Camden Street, Dublin, and Richard Richards of Roscommon, builders, and Henry Brooke of Colebrooke, for the building of a new house at Colebrooke, to be finished by 1 January 1823, for £9,700: 0: 0d., to the satisfaction of William Farrell, architect, and bond of indemnity from Thomas Colbourne, Richard Richards and John Murphy to Henry Brooke [20 June 1820] in PRONI, Landed Estates Courts rentals, D3004/B/8 also T1042/41 (see PRONI e-catalogue); specification and account of charges, 1820, in PRONI, T1042/39 (see PRONI e-catalogue);  A. Day, P. McWilliams & L. English, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland 4 (1990), 7; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 200-201.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INCHICORE ROAD, KILMAINHAM COURT HOUSE
Date: 1820a
Nature: Executed to designs of WF (winner of competition?). Plaque in hall has inscr. 'Architect William Farrell. Opened 3 Oct 1820'.
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 11-14; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96 (photographs in IAA); side elvation in posession of William Harvey (a descendant of Farrell's pupil Sandham Symes), 86 Beechwood Drive, Broomhill, Glasgow .

Building: CO. SLIGO, ANNAMORE HOUSE
Date: 1820ca
Nature: Attributed to WF by Williams.
Refs: J. Williams, Companion guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 335

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, EAST BRIDGE STREET, COURT HOUSE
Date: 1821-22
Nature: Remodelled by WF at cost of £3,000.. Work supervised by Henry Lambert. Contractor: Baker, Williams & Cockburn.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 4: Parishes of Co. Fermanagh 1834-5 (1990), 54 (which gives date as 1824); C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 79(illus.),80; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 281;

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KING STREET NORTH, ST PAUL'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1821-24
Nature: New church in Tudor idiom.  WF reports on old church (built 1698-1701) in 1819. Architect for rebuilding, begun Aug 1821 with grant of £3,850 from Board of First Fruits. Contractor: Abel Bass. Bass's estimate of £107.10s.8d. for building wall round churchyard accepted Jul 1822, as also Charles Gibbons's estimate of £265 for railings. church consecrated, 12 Dec 1824.
Refs: Alice M. Best, 'St Paul's Parish, Dublin', JRSAI 104 (1974), 24;  Clergy of Dublin and Glendalough (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2001), 219;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 241.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, NEWBAY HOUSE
Date: 1822
Nature: By WF and John Meason, for Henry Halton.
Refs: NLI microfilm, Pos. 1561 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 222

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1822-1826
Nature: Reconstructed under direction of WF, 1822-1826. (Remodelled in restoration of 1860s.)
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 607.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PALACE DEMESNE, ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE
Date: 1823
Nature: Plans for offices by WF, 1823.
Refs: Signed and dated plans, in NA/SPO 587/549/11 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, DIAMOND, CHURCH OF ST TIGHERNACH (CI)
Date: 1823
Nature: New church replacing earlier one;  'it was built at an expense of about £3500, of which £1022 was a loan and £900 a gift, in 1822, from the late Board of First Fruits' (Lewis).
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 360;  illus. in  Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), 31;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 272-3;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 147;  


Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ELY LODGE
Date: 1824
Nature: Large classical house and two gate lodges, main lodge based on design by Henry Hakewill for Blenheim Palace. For 2nd Marquess of Ely. House blown up in 1970.
Refs: Undated plan and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 19-22; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 275; J.A.K. Dean, The Gate Lodges of Ulster (UAHS, 1994), 107(illus.)

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1824-25
Nature: New court house which 'may be attributed with confidence to William Farrell in view of its similarity to his designs for Carrick-on-Shannon though the Parliamentary Gazetteer says it is...after a design by Bowden'. (Bowden died in 1822.)   Mulligan gives court house to WF but says that Bowden had 'proposed a design, but died in 1822'.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 55(illus.),56;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),252.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, BALLEEK, PERPETUAL CURATE'S HOUSE
Date: 1825
Nature: WF prepares designs for house and offices for perpetual curacy of Balleek.
Refs: 3 sheets of drawings (plans, section, elevation), signed and dated Jul 1825, in PRONI, DIO/4/22/7/14 (see PRONI e-catalogue).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1825-26
Nature: Proposed bar Library.
Refs: Builders estimates, articles of agreement &c.,1825-26, in King's Inns Archives, H/3-1, plans and elevation, March-May 1825, in IAA (on loan from King's Inns Archives), 2007/10.4/11-13;   NA/SPO CSORP 1825/11,268 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. LOUTH, STABANNON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1825-26
Nature: New church. Tenders to be submitted to 'Architect of the Board of First Fruits [for] Armagh, 55 St Stephen's Green', March 1825. Loan of £784.12s.3¾d. from Board of First Fruits.
Refs: Drogheda Journal, 26 Mar 1825; Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland (1846), III, 275; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 483

Building: CO. LOUTH, CHARLESTOWN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1825-28
Nature: New hall and tower church erected to standard William Farrell design.
Refs: Drogheda Journal, 14 May 1825; Buildings of Ireland files, citing Rev. G.W.C. L'Estrange, Notes and Jottings concerning the Parish of Charlestown Union (1912); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 204

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PALACE DEMESNE, ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE
Date: 1826
Nature: New kitchen.  Contractor: Sinclair Carroll (£475.4s.5d).
Refs: Proposal, estimate and specification, Mar 1826, and contract withbuilder, Sinclair Carroll, 21 Mar 1826, in PRONI, Downshire Papers, DIO/4/22/7/16/1,3

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, FAIR STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1827-28
Nature: Erected as chapel-of-ease to St Peter's church; 'an unpretending edifice of grey stone' (Bassett). Tenders invited Apr 1827. FS laid 10 Dec 1827. Corporation donated £300. Board of First Fruits donated £900 in 1829.
Refs: Drogheda Journal, 14 Apr,15 Dec 1827; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 501; George Henry Bassett, Louth County Guide and Directory (1886), 87

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, IRVINESTOWN, CHURCH (CI, DERRYVULLEN NORTH PARISH)
Date: 1828
Nature: Simple Gothic, hall and tower type, with tower and spire. Built with loan of £1500 from Board of First Fruits and £800 from Rev. Gray Porter. Opened for worship by Dec 1828.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 14: Parishes of Co. Fermanagh 1834-5 (1992), 37; J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 165; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 320-321;  illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), 38;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 148.

Building: CO. DOWN, DOWNPATRICK, CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1829
Nature: Completion of tower by 'Cobden and Sands' of London to design by William Farrell.
Refs: Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), Part 1, 102; J. Frederick Rankin, Down Cathedral (1997), 123.

Building: CO. CAVAN, RATHKENNY (COOTEHILL)
Date: 1829
Nature: 2-storey Classical block, for Theophilus Lucas-Clements. Described in OS memoir for parish of Drung as 'lately erected...a beautiful modern mansion'.
Refs: Ainsworth Report, 406 (E.McP); Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 40: Counties of South Ulster 1834-8, 21; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 239(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 560.

Building: KEVIN V. MULLIGAN, THE BUILDINGS OF IRELAND: SOUTH ULSTER (2013), 115, PL.79.
Date: 1829
Nature: Rebuilding of church originally designed by Francis Johnston (except for tower) with side aisles, balconies and probably new roof.
Refs: Plans in PRONI T1257/1,2 (see PRONI e-catalogue); R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup and P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 134-5;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 115, Pl.79;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 120.


Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH, OLD)
Date: 1829-1832
Nature: Addition of N aisle.
Refs: Clergy of Down & Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 236

Building: CO. DOWN, COMBER, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1829p
Nature: Rebuilding.
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore , 97(illus.);  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 190.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNLEER, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1830
Nature: Addition 'according to plans by Mr Farrell, architect to Board of First Fruits'. £300 granted by Board of First Fruits for same 1830.
Refs: Drogheda Journal, 29 May 1830; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 584; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 276.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILLYLEA, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1830
Nature: New chapel-of-ease for 400 persons for Tynan parish built 1830 at cost of about £1,600. Given to WF by Mulligan.
Refs: RIA, OS memoirs, Box 18 (or see Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 125);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 382; illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 126.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ASHBROOKE
Date: 1830?
Nature: Built as a dower house for Colebrooke Park 'presumably also by Farrell'. For Sir Henry Brooke.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 201

Building: CO. CAVAN, STRADONE, CHURCH (CI, LARAGH PARISH)
Date: 1831
Nature: 'The new parochial church, erected in the townland of Laragh in the year 1831, is a neat oblong building, capable of accommodating about 250 parishioners.'(OS Memoirs).  Design given to William Farrell by Mulligan.
Refs: Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 41;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 536;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 242.


Building: CO. ARMAGH, MEIGH, CHURCH OF ST LUKE (CI, KILLEAVY PARISH)
Date: 1831
Nature: New church. 3-bay hall with pinnacled bellcote and battlemented porch. Variation of design for Clontibret and Munterconnaught. (Closed 1 Feb 1973. Derelict.)
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 447.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGHBREAGUE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1831
Nature: New church, consecrated 1831. 3-bay hall with bellcote, angle buttresses and porch.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 500;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 126.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CHURCH SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1831-1836
Nature: New church. £1000 donated by Countess of Rossmore, loan of £2000 from Board of First Fruits, £1000 bequeathed by Mrs Jackson; remainder raised by subscription.  Site next to existing church approved, Jan 1831.  Church opened, 24 Feb 1836. Builder: John Clarke.
Refs: St Patrick's Church, Monaghan (illustrated booklet published by St Patrick's Church post 2002), 5-6; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 465-6, Pl.62.


Building: CO. TYRONE, BARONSCOURT
Date: 1831ca
Nature: WF makes proposals for rebuilding, not carried out. For 2nd Marquess of Abercorn.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 131

Building: CO. LONGFORD, KENAGH, CHURCH (CI, KILCOMMICK PARISH)
Date: 1832
Nature: Hall and tower church erected at expense of Jane, Dowager Countess of Rosse (£2,000).
Refs: Inscr. on church giving architect's name and date; Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 65; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 276;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 250.

Building: CO. CAVAN, MUNTERCONNAUGHT (VIRGINIA), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1832
Nature: New church, 'a very neat building , by a gift of £900 from the late Board of First Fruits' (Lewis).  'One of William Farrell's ubiquitous single-cell designs' (Mulligan). 3-bay nave, short chancel, bellcote and battlemented porch on W front. 
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837),  II, 415;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 576  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 246.   

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CHARLEMONT, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1833
Nature: New church, 'resembling in front one of the grand altars of York Minster', built on ground given by Lord Charlemont. WF corresponded with Primate Beresford about it. Did he design it?
Refs: NLI, special list 155 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Slater's Irish Directory (1846);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 263.


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, COLLEGE SQUARE NORTH, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1833
Nature: Greek revival with Ionic porch in antis. To accommodate 1,650. For Rev. Dr. Thomas Drew Consecrated 25 Jul 1833. (Closed down Jun 1993)
Refs: Fourth and final report of the Down & Connor Church Accommodation Society (1843), 7; John Frederick MacNeice, The Church of Ireland in Belfast (Belfast, 1931), 118;    Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 8 (no. 13, illus.); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 78-9; Clergy of Connor (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1993),89

Building: CO. CAVAN, DERRYLANE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1833
Nature: New chapel-of-ease for parish of Killeshandra.. Loan of £800 from Board of First Fruits and donation of £100 from Lord Farnham.  'The standard three-bay single-cell design, here in the service of the parish of Killeshandra.' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 142;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 243(illus.).


Building: CO. ARMAGH, MULLAGHGLASS, CHURCH OF ST LUKE (CI)
Date: 1833
Nature: New church. 5-bay hall and chancel with 3-bay W front.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 362;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 121..

Building: CO. LEITRIM, MANORHAMILTON, MARKET HOUSE
Date: 1834
Nature: New market house for 2nd Earl of Leitrim. Builder: James Creddan, Enniskillen.
Refs: A.P.W. Malcomson, The Clements Archive (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2010), 3,389,582.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, ERRIGAL TRUAGH, CHURCH OF ST MUADHAN (CI)
Date: 1834
Nature: Small Gothic church, 'built to a standard design' by WF.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 330;  illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), 54.

Building: CO. CAVAN, DERRYHEEN (BUTLERSBRIDGE), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1834
Nature: New church for newly formed ecclesiastical district 'built to William Farrell's most ubiquitous chapel of ease design' (Mulligan). 3-bay hall short chancel, pinnacled bellcote and corner buttresses, battlemented porch.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 211;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 246.



Building: CO. CAVAN, DERNAKESH (COOTEHILL), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1834
Nature: New chapel of ease in Drumgoon parish.'Built...to William Farrell's standard single-cell design' (Mulligan). 3-bay with bellcote at W end and shallow chancel.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 293;  exterior illus in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 241.
.

Building: CO. CAVAN, DRUNG, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1834
Nature: New church 'built in 1834 to a design by William Farrell' (Mulligan). 3-bay hall and tower type.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 559;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 241(illus.).


Building: CO. CAVAN, BALLYJAMESDUFF, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1834
Nature: New church with tower;  'a plain edifice, erected in 1834 by aid of a grant of £900 from the Ecclesiastical Commissionersand subscriptions amounting to £200' (Lewis).  'Essemtoa;;u Farre;;'s stadard somg;e-cell desiogn, similar to Larah (Stradone) but here enlarged with a solid-looking tower.'(Mulligan)  (Costegalde and Walker give cost as £1,125.)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 139;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 170-171;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013),  243(illus.)


Building: CO. DOWN, BANBRIDGE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI, SEAPATRICK PARISH)
Date: 1835-1837
Nature: New cruciform church, consecrated 7 Nov 1837. Simple cruciform shape
Refs: Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996 ,  232(illus.);  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 201.

Building: CO. TYRONE, CAPPAGH (OMAGH), GLEBE HOUSE (ERGANAGH HOUSE)
Date: 1836
Nature: 'solid stone house...with the recessed panel decoration and cubic massing characteristic of William Farrell, who may well have been the architect'.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 430; letter from owners, Thomas and Collette Mayers, to IGS, Oct 1993, says that it was designed by William Farrell & Son in 1835

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE, BISHOP'S PALACE
Date: 1837a
Nature: 'The Bishop [George de la Poer Beresford] has lately erected a palace in lieu of the old one…The new palace…is built in the Grecian Doric style and covered with Roman cement. It appears too lofty, and in other repects is not well proportioned. The drive from the public road…is badLy managed, being tortured into short curves, for which the character of the ground is not fitted.' (Binns)  Given to William Farrell by Mulligan.
Refs: Jonathan Binns, The Miseries and Beauties of Ireland (1837), I, 306;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), Pl.54. 396.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, PORTORA ROYAL SCHOOL
Date: 1837ca
Nature: Addition of wings attr. to WF
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 287

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILLESHANDRA, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1838
Nature: New church, replacing one of 1688. Gothic, with 5-bay nave, 2-storey pinnacled porch, pinnacled belfry and short chancel..  By W. Farrell & Son.
Refs: Signed and dated drawings in RCB Library, portfolio 20; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 375;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013),243(illus.).  

Building: CO. DONEGAL, PETTIGO, CHURCH (CI, TEMPLECARNE PARISH)
Date: 1838
Nature: New Neo-Norman church.
Refs: Drawings in RCB Library,signed, and approved in 1838 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 453;  illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), 89.

Building: CO. TYRONE, FINTONA, CHURCH (CI, DONAGHCAVEY PARISH)
Date: 1838-40
Nature: Primitive neo-Norman five-bay hall with bellcote and three porches. By William Farrell & Son. Consecrated 2 Aug 1840.
Refs: Drawings, s. & d. William Farrell & Son, 1838, in RCB Library, portfolio 3A;  J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes  (1929), 169; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 295;   illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), Pt. 1, 40.

Building: CO. TYRONE, DROMORE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1839
Nature: New church by William Farrell & Son.. (Demolished and replaced by new church by A.T. Marshall, 1957.)
Refs: Signed drawing dated 1839 in RCB Library, portfolio 3A; see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 17, no. 68; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 251

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MILLTOWN (PORTADOWN), CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (CI)
Date: 1839
Nature: New church.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 443;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 128.


Building: CO. DOWN, CARROWDORE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1839-1842
Nature: WF responsible for nave only, built at sole expense of Lord John George Beresford. Completed Aug 1842. Consecrated 7 Aug 1843.
Refs: Correspondence between WF and the local landlord George Dunbar relating to the church, from 1837 onwards in PRONI, CR1/50 (see PRONI e-catalogue); Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 93(illus.)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BALLYSHANNON, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (CI, KILBARRON PARISH)
Date: 1839-42
Nature: New church 'in the Saxon style of architecture' (replacing one of 1795)with 5-bay nave, short chancel and tower at W. end. Designed by WF for Rev. G.N.Tredennick. Completed 1842. Cost: £3,405,11s.8d.
Refs: Slater's Irish Directory (1856); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 127; F.W. Fawcett and D.W.T. Crooks, eds., Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 149(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CRINKEN (SHANKILL), CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI)
Date: 1840
Nature: Trustee church, established by deed dated 19 Aug 1840. Consecrated 16 Oct 1850. Builder: John Kelly
Refs: B.H. Blacker, Sketches of Irish Churches, ? ? (B of I); Rev. F.E. Bland, Stoiry of Crinken 1840-1940, 7;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 289.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CLARE (TANDRAGEE), CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1840
Nature: New church by William Farrell & Son. 3-bay hall with bellcote. Also lodges?
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 265;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 128.
 

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UPPER MALONE ROAD, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1840-42
Nature: New church, 'very modest...with narrow pointed windows in the regency style'. Work expected to begin shortly in Aug 1840. FS laid 6 May 1841; consecrated 8 Jun 1842. (Replaced by St John's, Osborne Park, 1894.)
Refs: Plans & elevations, signed William Farrell & Son and dated 25 May 1840, in RCB Library, portfolio 6 (illus. in on-line catalogue www.archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org);  Christian Examiner, 1, no. 8, 1 Aug 1840, 255; Fourth and final report of the Down & Connor Church Accommodation Society (1843), 7; Brett, 27; Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 109.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONTIBRET, CHURCH OF ST COLMAN (CI)
Date: 1840-42
Nature: New church. FS laid 1840. Opened 1842. Badly built. Roof found to be dangerous in Jul 1843; reopened Dec 1843 with gallery. (Design given to WF by Mulligan.)
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 150; illus. in Clergy of Clogher (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), Part 1, 32;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 281.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONTIBRET, CHURCH OF ST COLMAN (CI)
Date: 1840-42
Nature: New church. FS laid 1840. Opened 1842. Badly built. Roof found to be dangerous in Jul 1843; reopened Dec 1843 with gallery. (Design given to WF by Mulligan.)
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 150; illus. in Clergy of Clogher (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), Part 1, 32;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 281.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILDARTON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1840ca
Nature: Single cell 3-bay church.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 351;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 127.

Building: CO. DOWN, MOIRA, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1841
Nature: Design for new spire topped with a ball finial proposed and approved. (Spire blown down, 1884, and replaced.)
Refs: Signed drawing(s), dated April 1841, in RCB Library, portfolio 12

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, CHURCH STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (CI)
Date: 1841
Nature: Design either by Thomas Elliott or WF with Elliott as contractor. Church consecrated 7 Jun 1842..
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 277; exterior illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), 50;  Duncan Scarlett, Dedicated to St Anne (2007), 43;  interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013),  149.


Building: CO. ANTRIM, LISBURN, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI, BLARIS & LISNAGARVEY PARISHES)
Date: 1841
Nature: Designs for new chancel and buttress piers.
Refs: Signed and dated drawing(s) in RCB Library, portfolio 7

Building: CO. TYRONE, CARRICKMORE, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBKILLE (CI, TERMONMAGUIRKE PARISH)
Date: 1841-42
Nature: Restoration of interior of church built 1786 and addition of tower, spire and chancel (Leslie, but cf. Rowan).  Builder: William Scott.
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Armagh Clergy & Parishes  (1911), 427-8;  M. Scott, The Scotts of Lisanelly and Lisnamallard (Glasgow, 1924), I, 42-3;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 167;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 130.


Building: CO. DOWN, MAGHERALIN, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1841-44
Nature: New church, probably designed by WF or Joseph Welland. Cruciform with W tower (not executed), N & S porches off transepts. Battlemented with decorated bellcote on W gable. Design approved 1841. Dedicated 1843. Opened Oct 1844. Consecrated 3 May 1845.
Refs: Unsigned drawing, inscr. 'Approved 1841' and 'Dedicated 1843', in RCB Library, portfolio 12;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 215-6(illus.).

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, GAOL SQUARE, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1841-46
Nature: Additions including 13-bay, 3-storey range of cells.
Refs: Contract drawings, letters &c.,1841-2 in PRONI D/571/129-179, and accounts for advertisements placed in newspapers in respect of gaol, memorials and letters from WF to Commissioners for enlarging same, 1843-44, FER/4/6/8-20.


Building: CO. MONAGHAN, NEWBLISS, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1841a
Nature: New chapel of ease in parish of Aghabog. Cruciform with 3-stage pinnacled tower'intended as an eye-catcher for vistas from Newbliss House' (Mulligan). Consecrated by Bishop of Clogher, 1 Jul 1841. Built and endowed by Andrew Ker, Esq..
Refs: Christian Examiner 2, no. 8, 1 Aug 1841, 255Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 494-5.

Building: CO. TYRONE, DRUMNAKILLY, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1843
Nature: New church, consecrated 21 Nov 1843;  'low rubble-built cruciform church in the Tudoresque idiom of William Farrell' (Rowan).
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Armagh Clergy & Parishes  (1911), 272;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 428;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 122.

Building: CO. DERRY, BALLYKELLY, GLEBE HOUSE (TAMLAGHT FINLAGAN PARISH)
Date: 1843ca?
Nature: WF & Son make plan for same.
Refs: Undated plan in IAA, McCurdy & Mitchell Collection, 82/49.39

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1847-1853
Nature: New. 62-bay, 3-storey range in institutional Elizabethan style. (Quantities taken by Thomas Turner and Patrick Kerr.) Opened 1853. Contractor: William Hague, Cavan.
Refs: 16th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1848), 15;  Armagh Guardian, 3 Jun,30 Dec 1850; 3 Jun 1853;   Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 14, 14 Dec 1850, 25 (with front elevation and plan);  B 11, 30 Apr 1853, 279; 14, 9 Feb 1856, 74; DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 383; APSD 5, L, 153; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 447

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, COUNTY INFIRMARY
Date: 1849
Nature: New.  By William and Francis Farrell. (Demolished)
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 245.

Building: CO. LAOIS, RATHDAIRE (BALLYBRITTAS)
Date: ?
Nature: Gate lodge identical to one at Ely Lodge by WF, which is copied from one at Blenheim
Refs: Information from J.A.K. Dean

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, SOUTH HILL (DELVIN)
Date: ?
Nature: Attr. to WF suggested by Casey & Rowan.
Refs: Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 202

Building: CO. TYRONE, KILLYFADDY (CLOGHER)
Date: ?
Nature: Attr. to William Farrell by Rowan. For - Maxwell?.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 193

Building: CO. TYRONE, CECIL MANOR
Date: ?
Nature: By William Farrell for Rev. Francis Gervais. Now gone.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 193

Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, GREENVALE
Date: ?
Nature: Lodge identical to WF's gate lodge at Ely Lodge.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 218

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, THORNHILL HOUSE (SMITHBOROUGH)
Date: ?
Nature: Designs for plain 3-bay house with simple portico for John George.  (Mulligan points out influence of Richard Morrison on design.)
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 53-55; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 97;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 534.

Building: CO. DERRY, PREHEN
Date: ?
Nature: Proposal for 'house for Hon. George Knox' (?Prehen). 3-bay, 2-storey, Gothic, with label mouldings and ornate string course.
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 49-52; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 97.

Building: CO. LONGFORD, ERNEHEAD HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Designs by WF for 'House for Ralph Dopping'(?Ernehead). Long, regular, battlemented Gothic house, forming with its outbuildings the best part of an irregular polygon.
Refs: Plan and elevation in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 47,48; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. DOWN, NARROW WATER CASTLE
Date: ?
Nature: Designs by WF for Roger Hall.
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 43-46; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. LAOIS, SHAEN HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Drawings by WF for 'house for Thomas Kemmis', 5-bay, 2-storey, pedimented central bay (and 3-bay wings?)
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 38-42; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. OFFALY, CLONEARL HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: WF designs 5-bay house with 3-bay prjecting central porch. For William Henry Magan.
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 30-37; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. CARLOW, CLOGRENNAN
Date: ?
Nature: WF designs 3-storey, 5-bay house with projecting pedimented central bay. For John Staunton Rochfort.
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 23-27; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. LEITRIM, CARRICK-ON-SHANNON, COURT HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Designs for 2-storey, 5-bay building, the 3 central bays projecting and topped by balustrade.
Refs: Plans and elevations in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 15-18; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HEYTESBURY STREET, MEATH HOSPITAL
Date: ?
Nature: Designs for classical building with projecting pedimented central bay containing kitchen, with hall above it and 2-storey operating theatre above hall.
Refs: Plans and entrance front elevation in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 6-10; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, OLD CONNAUGHT (BRAY), PALERMO
Date: ?
Nature: WF designs additions with very extensive offices, outbuildings, farm buildings and conservatory. For Sir Samuel Hutchinson, Bt.
Refs: Plan and elevation in William Farrell album, Houghton Library, Harvard University (ref: RAN 1/N/4) nos. 28,29; see John Harris, A Catalogue of British Drawings for Architecture, Decoration, Sculpture and Landscape Gardening 1550-1900 in American Collections (1971), 96.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Gothic and neo-Norman proposals for 'A Cathedral' (probably Armagh)
Refs: Undated plan and elevations of neo-Norman cathedral, signed William Farrell, Architect, and unsigned, undated plan and elevations (in same hand) of Gothic cathedral in collection of William Harvey (a descendant of Farrell's pupil Sandham Symes), 86 Beechwood Drive, Broomhill, Glasgow;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 98.


Building: CO. DOWN, HILLSBOROUGH, ARCHDEACON'S HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Enlargement of house subject of dispute between Archdeacon and WF (as architect to Board of First Fruits)  Does this mean that WF was the architect for the enlargements?
Refs: PRONI, Letters from Richard Mant to Lord Downshire and Thomas Parry., 1824-1843, D671/C/188.

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILLESHANDRA, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: New glebe house 'easily attributable to william Farrell' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 376.