- Born: - Died: -
Architect and engineer, of Dublin. Isaac Farrell first appears in the directories in 1833 and continues to be listed until 1877 or 1878, described at first as architect and measurer and later as architect and civil engineer. In 1847 he entered the competitions for the Army and Navy Club, London, and the Middlesex Pauper Lunatic Asylum; both designs were exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy the following year.(1) At the Dublin Great Industrial Exhibition of 1853 he exhibited models of 'the Albert window …an improved French window' and of 'a new railway break, to be attached to each carriage, and so contrived that all the breaks in a train are simultaneously applied'.(2) In 1859 he formed a brief partnership with WILLIAM ROBERT FARRELL . He was responsible for the design of several Methodist churches in Dublin and elsewhere, and for the Presbyterian Church in Adelaide Road, Dublin.
Farrell's last appearance in the Dublin directories is in 1877. His wife Helen predeceased him on 26 November 1857, when she was fifty-four years old. She was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery with two of their infant children, Jessie, their first born, and Isaac, their only son.(3)
ICEI: member by 1849;(4) reads paper, 'A descriptive notice of the Archimedian Railway', 1845;(5) exhibits model of balance gates, 9 May 1848;(6) auditor, 1852,1853;(7) had ceased to be a member by 1870.(8)
RIAI: elected associate, 21 May 1863.(9)
Addresses:(10) 11 Lower Abbey Street, 1833; 78 Abbey Street 1834; 199 Great Brunswick Street 1835-44; 210 Great Brunswick Street, 1845-1851; 12 Fleet Street, 1852-1853; 2 Clanbrassil Terrace, South Circular Rd, 1854-; 12 Fleet Street & 2 Clanbrassil Terrace, 1855-58; 2 Clanbrassil Terrace & 25 Lincoln Place, 1859; 25 Lincoln Place (with W.R. Farrell,), 1861; 25 Lincoln Terrace & 1 Herbert Terrace, Ballsbridge, 1862; 1 Clanbrassil Terrace, 1863-1872; 8 Leinster Square, Rathgar, 1877.
See WORKS, BIBLIOGRAPHY.
(1) RHA 1848, nos. 341,343.
(2) Exhibit no. 561.
(3) From inscription on headstone in Mount Jerome Cemetery, transcribed by Brendan and Bernadette O'Donoghue.
(4) TICEI 3 (1847-49), list of members.
(5) TICEI 1 (1845), 95; Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847 has Farrell and 'Office of the Archimedean Railway' at the same address, 210 Great Brunswick Street.
(6) TICEI 3 (1847-49), 85.
(7) Jones files, citing ?Thom's directories.
(8) List of members in IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 197.
(9) RIAI council meeting minutes, 8 May 1863, 5; general meeting minutes, 21 May 1863, 127.
(10) From Wilson's & Thom's directories.
24 work entries listed in chronological order for FARRELL, ISAAC
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE CASTLE|
|Nature:||Baronial residence for Viscount Mandeville, eldest son of Duke of Manchester; contains large handsome chapel.|
Draft memoir by J. Hill Williams, Jan 1838, in Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 3; Jones files citing unnamed guide book of the 1840s (J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 756, gives information but does not name architect); Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 542-544.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, SAVINGS BANK|
|Nature:||Branch of Meath St Savings Bank. FS laid 20 Jun 1839.|
|Refs:||Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1847), 'Annals of Dublin' (1839, 20 Jun); M. Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (1st edition, 1952), 319|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ADELAIDE ROAD, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH|
|Nature:||New classical church with tetrastyle portico. Farrell's plans adopted Dec 1839. Tender of J.C. Prince, 21 Denzille St, accepted. FS laid 19 May 1840 by J. Ferrier. Church opened 27 Jun 1841.|
R.A.S. McAlister & R.K. Hanna, Presbyterian Church, Adelaide Road, Dublin: a commemorative record 1840-1846, 4-5; illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 249.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 034 (NATIONAL BANK)|
|Nature:||Superintending architect for erection of building designed by William Barnes. FS laid Nov 1842.|
|Refs:||Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1847), 'Annals of Dublin' (Nov 1842); M. Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (1st edition, 1952), 322|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 094 (CENTENARY METHODIST CHURCH)|
|Nature:||FS laid 22 Mar 1842; opened 18 Jun 1843; alts., principally rearrangement of pews, 1861.|
|Refs:||'Annals of Dublin' (unpaginated) in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanack (1847), (22 Mar 1842, 18 Jun 1843); Irwin's Dublin Guide (1853), ?; IB 65, 16 Jun 1923, 454; B 19, 31 Aug,21 Sep 1861, 599,654|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 043|
|Refs:||Signed and dated drawing in Dublin City Archives, WSC/MAPS/475|
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE EAST, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||Classical, with hexastyle Corinthian portico. Tenders invited May 1846. FS laid 2 Jul 1846. Opened 20 Jun 1847. Burnt down in 1849 and rebuilt 1850. Contractor (in both instances): James Carlisle, Belfast.
|Refs:||B 4, 30 May 1846, 263; 5, 26 Jun 1847, 306; Brett, 34; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 11 (no. 20, illus.); Simon Walker, Historic Ulster Churches (Institute of Irish Studies, 2000), 88(illus.)|
|Building:||ENGLAND, COLNEY HATCH (MIDDLESEX), MIDDLESEX PAUPER LUNATIC ASYLUM|
|Nature:||Unsuccessful competition entrant.|
|Refs:||Design exh. RHA 1848, no. 341|
|Building:||ENGLAND, LONDON, ARMY & NAVY CLUB|
|Nature:||Unsuccessful competition entrant.|
|Refs:||Design exh. RHA 1848, no. 343|
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, PERRY STREET, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||New church, 52 x 32 ft with addition of 40 ft in rere for sexton's house, in Gothic style of architecture. Complex also includes schoolroom and classroom. FS laid Jun 1849. Opened 19 May 1850. Contractor: Thomas Lilburn, Dungannon.
Armagh Guardian, 25 Jun 1849, 17 Jun 1850..
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, AUGHNACLOY, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||New church, school and dwelling house 'situate on the approach from the Monaghan Road'. Church opened Mar 1850. Contractor: Thomas Ross, Aughnacloy.
Armagh Guardian, 19 Nov 1849, 25 Mar 1850.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHARLESTON ROAD (RATHMINES), METHODIST CHURCH|
|Refs:||B 10, 13 Mar 1852, 172|
|Building:||CO. DERRY, COLERAINE, CIRCULAR ROAD, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||New stucco Corinthian temple, similar to Methodist Church in Donegall Sq., Belfast. For Clothworkers' Company? Contractor: Samuel Kirkpatrick, Coleraine.|
|Refs:||Signed and dated plan and elevation in collection of Coleraine Methodist Church, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 18, no. 72; B 11, 14 May,2 Jul 1853, 315,424; W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings…in Coleraine and Portstewart (UAHS, 1972), 14,15(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 206; J. Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 (Chichester, 1986), 438, Pl.368; Simon Walker, Historic Ulster Churches (Institute of Irish Studies, 2000), 89|
|Building:||CO. DERRY, COLERAINE, CASTLEROCK ROAD, COLERAINE ACADEMICAL INSTITUTION|
|Nature:||Isaac Farrell wins competition for same. Plain 2-storey block. FS laid 4 Jun 1857. In progress, 1859, when cost expect to be about £4,000. Builder: Kilpatrick, Coleraine.|
|Refs:||B 11, 20 Aug,22 Oct 1853, 533,654; 15, 20 Jun 1857, 355; IB 1, 1 Feb 1859, 22; W.D. Girvan, Historic Buildings…in Coleraine and Portstewart (UAHS, 1972), 24(illus.).25(no. 64) Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 207; J. Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 (Chichester, 1986), 392,Pl.315.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CASTLE AVENUE (CLONTARF), WALPOLE TERRACE|
|Nature:||Terrace of 4 houses, with Wm. R. Farrell, for Francis Byrne.|
DB 1, 1 Jul 1859, 85; Claire Gogarty, From Village to Suburb: The Building of Clontarf since 1760 (2013), 232 (illus.),170 (illus.).
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NO. 001|
|Nature:||Addition of conservatory & other apartments, with Wm. R. Farrell, for Dr Wilde Builder: Meighan.|
|Refs:||DB 1, 1 Nov 1859, 145|
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, AUGHENTAINE|
|Nature:||Italianate mansion. By Mssrs. Farrell (i.e. Isaac & Wm. R. Farrell), for Thomas Richardson Browne. Begun in 1860. Estimated cost £6,000.
|Refs:||Plans in PRONI, T.1132(6); DB 2, 1 Oct 1860, 352|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEMBROKE ROAD, HOUSES (002)|
|Nature:||2 villas, opposite Botanic Gardens. By Mssrs. Farrell (i.e. Isaac & Wm. R. Farrell) for P. Sullivan.|
|Refs:||DB 2, 1 Oct 1860, 352|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIMMONSCOURT HOUSE|
|Nature:||Adds. to offices & improvements to residence. By Mssrs. Farrell (i.e. Isaac & Wm. R. Farrell) for B.M. Tabuteau.|
|Refs:||DB 2, 1 Oct 1860, 352|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH (CI, 3RD)|
|Nature:||Competition entrant, with William Farrell. (Motto 'Respice finem'.)|
|Refs:||B 18, 2 Jun 1860, 352|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, BRAY, ESPLANADE, HOUSES (004)|
|Nature:||4 houses to be built to designs by Isaac and William Farrell, Sep 1861. Isaac Farrell advertises 4 first-class, 4-bedroom houses with garden, stables &c., Oct 1862. Garner suggests that this is Esplanade Terrace.
DB 3, 1 Sep 1861, 620.Irish Times, 21 Oct 1862; William Garner, Bray: Architectural Heritage (An Foras Forbatha, 1980), 54,55(illus.).
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JAMES'S STREET, SOUTH DUBLIN UNION WORKHOUSE|
|Refs:||DB 5, 1 Sep 1863, 148|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TEMPLE STREET, TURKISH BATHS|
|Nature:||Brown and Henderson, builders, take case in Nisi Prius Court against proporietor, McGee, for recovery of £56.11s.6½d for work done and materials supplied. Testimony corroborated by Mr Harford, surveyor, and Mr Farrell, architect.
Irish Times, 4 Feb 1867.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CARLISLE BRIDGE (OLD)|
|Nature:||Designed by 'J. Farrell'. Is this Isaac?|
|Refs:||B 8, 17 Aug 1850, 392|
|Farrell, Isaac||'A descriptive notice of the Archimedian Railway'||1845||TICEI 1 (1845), 95. (Also published as booklet.)|
|Farrell, Isaac||Suggestions on the Dublin Improvements||1848||[Dublin],1848. (Copy in RIA, 2004/8.)|