Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and/or builder, active in Dundalk in the 1730s and 1740s. Elgee built the old county court house in Dundalk in 1740 on a site donated by James, Viscount Limerick. He appears to have laid out Market Square at the same time according to a stone tablet on a building next to the court house on the corner of Earl Street, which formerly bore the inscription 'Cornmarket Square. Wm. Elgee fecit 1739'.



References

All information in this entry is from P.J. Geraghty, 'Urban improvement and the erection of municipal buildings in County Louth during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 25, no. 3 (1995), 310-11.


2 work entries listed in chronological order for ELGEE, WILLIAM


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, MARKET SQUARE
Date: 1739
Nature: Laid out by William Elgee.
Refs: P.J. Geraghty, 'Urban improvement and the erection of municipal buildings in County Louth during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 25, no. 3 (1995), 310, citing inscription on building on corner of Earl St.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, MARKET SQUARE, COUNTY COURT HOUSE (OLD)
Date: 1740
Nature: WE architect and/or builder of same. On site donated by Lord Limerick.
Refs: P.J. Geraghty, 'Urban improvement and the erection of municipal buildings in County Louth during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries', County Louth Archaeological and Historical Journal 25, no. 3 (1995), 310-311