CHADWICK, WILLIAM JOSEPH
- Born: 1895 Died: 1951
County surveyor for the North Riding of Co. Tipperary, 1934-1951. William Chadwick, a son of John Chadwick, clerk of the petty sessions at Borrisoleigh, Co. Tipperary, was born in Co. Tipperary on 9 May 1895. After attending school at Rockwell College, Cashel, he studied engineering at University College, Dublin, obtaining the BE degree in 1916. He was an assistant county surveyor for Co. Kildare from 1917 to 1919 and then worked on sewage and water supply schemes in England until the end of 1928. He returned to Ireland in 1929 to take up the post of engineering inspector on the staff of JOHN KYLE PRENDERGAST , resident engineer on the Shannon Power Scheme. Later the same year he became resdient engineer fo the Nenagh waterworks extension under EDWARD M. MURPHY.& #160; In Novermber 1929 he was appointed surveyor to Nenagh Urban District Council. a post which he retained until 1948. In May 1931 he was appointed an assistant county surveyor for the North Rriding of Co. Tipperary under THADDEUS C. COURTNEY . When Courtney left in October 1934, Chadwick was appointed acting county surveyor in his place, and was chosen to fill the permanent post in June 1935. He died in office on 2 September 1951. A statue to Our Lady of Fatima was erected in his memory in the grounds of the church of St Mary's of the Rosary, Nenagh, by 'the Roadworkers of North Tipperary'.(1)
ICEI:(2) elected member, 1930; on council 1943-1951.
Inst.CE: elected associate member, 2 Apr 1935; raised to member by 1942.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Chadwick's candidate's circular for admission as associate memeber of Inst.CE (1935) (information from Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist, Inst.CE) and from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 127.
(1) Nancy Murphy, Walkabout Nenagh (Nenagh, 1994), 91 (B.O'D.).
(2) Lists of office bearers and members in TICEI.