Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained-glass artist, of Belfast. According to the 1911 census, William Douglas was born in Co. Antrim in 1871 or 1872.   He studied at the School of Art in Belfast, where he was a prizewinner in 1897, and at the South Kensington School(1)  before becoming chief artist for the Belfast firm of designers and art craftsmen, WARD & PARTNERS PARTNERS . In 1909 he started to teach in the newly established stained-glass craft class at the Belfast School of Art.  He describes himself as 'Designer for Stained Glass, Damask & Embroidery' in his 1911 census return.   By this time he had been married for eleven years to his wife, Frances Mary, from Leicester, and had four sons and one daughter. He set up an independent business in Belfast in 1918, continuing to produce stained glass until his death in 1938, from the 1920s onwards as Douglas & Sons, and then as Douglas, Sons  & Co. According to Larmour, 'none of his known later windows approaches the earlier work in quality or interest'.

Address:  2 Stranmillis Street, Cromac, Belfast, 1911;  75 Great Vicgorial Street, Belfast, <=1935.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the 1911 census, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001488161/ (last visited Mar 2009) and from Paul Larmour, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Ireland (Belfast, 1992), 72,97-8,118-9.


(1) In the brochure produced by W.J. Douglas & Sons in or after 1935, he is described as 'an ExNational Scholar of the Royal College of Art London.


14 work entries listed in chronological order for DOUGLAS, WILLIAM JOSEPH *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GROSVENOR ROAD, ROYAL VICTORIA HOSPITAL
Date: 1903ca
Nature: Stained glass and leaded lights designed by WJD.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 67 (no.151)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, COLLEGE SQUARE EAST, MUNICIPAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE
Date: 1905
Nature: Stained glass windows in Central Hall, symbolising 'some branch of Art, Literature or Science'.
Refs: Publicity brochure of W.J. Douglas & Sons, post 1935, citing Northern Whig, 11 Nov 1905.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FISHERWICK PLACE, PRESBYTERIAN ASSEMBLY BUILDING
Date: 1905ca
Nature: Ornamental rooflight in main assembly hall, and 6-light Barkly memorial window in minor hall.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Ireland (Belfast, 1992), 118(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, ST JOHN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1906;1907
Nature: Single-light windows depicting Faith, Hope & Charity in S. transept, 1906; Lazarus window in N. transept, 1907.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Arts & Crafts Movement in Ireland (Belfast, 1992), 118; Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 106,109

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1920
Nature: 2 war memorial windows, dedicated 31 Oct 1920. Moved in 1985 to Monkstown CI church.
Refs: √Čtain Murphy, A Glorious Extravaganza: the history of Monkstown Parish Church(2003), 110-112(illus.)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILDARTON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1925
Nature: Single lancet window (Christ as Light of the World and Nativity) in memory of William and Julia Neill, signed Douglas, Sons & Co.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3419/ (last visited, Feb 2014)

Building: CO. DOWN, HELEN'S BAY (NEAR), BALLYGILBERT PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1926
Nature: War memorial window (Christ the Good Shepherd) from studio of Mssrs.W.J. Douglas & Sons.
Refs: Publicity brochure of W.J. Douglas & Sons, post 1934, citing Northern Whig, Jan 1926.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, TEMPLEMORE AVENUE (MOUNTPOTTINGER), CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT (CI)
Date: 1930ca
Nature: Stained glass by W.J. Douglas & Sons.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 83 (no.191)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, BROADWAY (& FALLS ROAD), PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1933
Nature: 4 windows in memory of Mr [i.e. Rev. J.W. Gibson?] Gibson (Solomon; Resurrection) and Mrs Gibson (Fath & Hope; Christ and the little Children)designed and carried out in the studio of Messrs. W.J. Douglas & Sons.
Refs: Publicity brochure of WJ. Douglas & Sons, post 1935, citing Northern Whig, Nov. 1933.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ANNAGHMORE (PORTADOWN), CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS (CI)
Date: 1934
Nature: Triple light stained glass window in N transept (Christ and Evangelists) in memory of David & Fanny Wilson, 1934. Signed Douglas, Sons, & Co. Dedicated, Aug 1934, by Dean of Armagh.
Refs: Publicity brochure of W.J. Douglas & Sons, post 1935, citing Belfast Telegraph, Aug 1934;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3406/ (last visited, Feb 2014).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ?, SAILORS' REST
Date: 1934
Nature: Stained glass windows designed and executed in the studio of Messrs. W.J.Douglas & Sons.
Refs: Publicity brochure of W.J. Douglas & Sons, post 1935, citing Belfast News Letter, 2 Nov 1934.

Building: CO. DOWN, DROMORE, CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE REDEEMER (CI)
Date: 1935?
Nature: Window designed and carried out Messrs. W.J. Douglas & Sons.
Refs: Publicityb rochure of W.J. Douglas & Sons, post 1935, citing Belfast Telegraph, 16 Jan 1935.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 048 (FISHERWICK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH)
Date: ?
Nature: Acheson Memorial Window by WJD & Sons.
Refs: Paul Larmour, The Architectural Heritage of Malone & Stranmillis (UAHS, 1991), 117

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CREGGAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass E window (Fatih, Hope & Charity) in memory of Sir Thomas Jackson (d. 1915). Signed Douglas, Sons, & Co.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3414/ (last visited, Feb 2014).