Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Church decorators and stained glass artists, of Dublin, successors to the firm of EARLEY & EARLEY & amp; POWELLS POWELLS . After the death of THOMAS EARLEY  THOMAS EARLEY in 1893, the family business passed to his nephew JOHN BISHOP EARLEY JOHN BISHOP EARLEY . When he ran into financial difficulties not long afterwards, John Bishop Earley was joined by his younger brother WILLIAM EARLEY  WILLIAM EARLEY and the business became known as Mssrs. EARLEY & EARLEY & amp; CO. As such it survived for many years. At some later date a Mr Murray, sub-manager of the Northern Bank in the South Circular Road, Dublin, became a financial partner. At around the same time John Bishop Earley suffered a stroke and retired. William Earley then became managing director until his death in 1956. In his will he made his nephew Gerard Earley managing director, and his niece Dympna Earley and grand-nephew Leo Earley co-directors. The firm remained in business under the name of Earley Studios Ltd until its closure in 1975.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds a collection of books, drawings, prints, photographs and newspaper cuttings, from the collection of Earley & Co. (Accs. 99/95,99/99,99/100). A large collection of designs for altars and stained glass is in the National Irish Visual Arts Library in the archives of the National College of Art and Design. Further ecclesiastical designs by the firm were sold at auction by Whyte's of Molesworth Street, Dublin, on 5 April 2008 (Lot 96).(1)

Addresses:(2) 4 Camden Street Upper, <=1915->=1956; 4 & 5 Camden Street Upper <=1959-1975.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry is taken from notes supplied by Nicola Gordon-Bowe, 22 Nov 1995, based on information from Michael Earley, consultant plastic surgeon at the Mater Hospital, Dublin.

(1) Illustrated in sale catalogue, p.49.
(2) From Thom's directories.


40 work entries listed in chronological order for EARLEY & CO. *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, BINDON STREET, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI, DRUMCLIFFE PARISH)
Date: 1882
Nature: Memorial window in N wall of nave (Giving drink to the thirsty;  Good Samaritan) in memory of James Menzies, manager of Provincial Bank  'just completed' in Mar 1882. Attributed to Earley & Co. in Gloine;
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 117, 25 Mar 1882, 196;  Gloine., http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3102/ (last visited, Oct 2016).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, TAGOAT, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1885
Nature: Design for high altar.
Refs: Among designs by the company sold at auction by Whyte's of Molesworth Street, Dublin, on 5 April 2008 (Lot 96)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S HILL, PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1900ca
Nature: Decoration of chapel interior (painted panels, stencilling, stained glass roof lights, stencilling, stained glass roof lights in chancel area.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 92.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FRANCIS STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA (RC)
Date: 1902ca
Nature: Stained glass windows (SS Patrick, Joseph and Nicholas) in N wall of nave.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 633.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HIGH STREET, ST AUDOEN'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1903
Nature: Lunette window overhigh altar.
Refs: IB 45, 13 Feb 1903, 1590

Building: CO. WICKLOW, NEWTOWNMOUNTKENNEDY, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1906
Nature: High altar, sanctuary floor, rails, stained glass, ambo, altar.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS P1/2

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, LOUGHLYNN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1906
Nature:

Altar rail and gates.

Refs: Agreed design, s. & d. 1906, in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, DUBLIN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1907
Nature: Lady altar, designed by W.H. Byrne & Son.
Refs: Drawings, 1907, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GARDINER STREET UPPER, CHURCH OF ST FRANCIS XAVIER (RC)
Date: 1907
Nature: Stained glass window of S Ignatius at E end of church.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 133.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RUSH, CHURCH OF ST MAUR (RC)
Date: 1907-1912
Nature: Communion rails, BVM altar, pulpit, stained glass.
Refs: Clonliffe College archive, MS P1/2

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF MERCY (RC)
Date: 1908
Nature: High altar and stained-glass windows.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 10 Nov 1908.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, GLADSTONE STREET, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1908
Nature: High altar.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 23 Nov 1908.

Building: CO. CAVAN, SHERCOCK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1908
Nature: High altar.
Refs: IB 49, 16 Nov 1907, 794; 50, 19 Sep 1908, 579; 51, 13 Nov 1909, 726.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BARNISKEY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: New altar of Sicilian marble with jasper panels.  Donor: Patrick Miley Kilpatrick.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 2 Jul 1910.

Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLYROAN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1910
Nature: Stained glass E window (Resurrection) in memory of Capt. J. Loftus Bland (d.1908).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2997/ (last visited, Dec 2016).

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: Stained-glass window, 'Death of St Fin Barre at Cloyne', in Blessed Thaddeus chapel, 1911.
Refs: Ann Wilson, 'The building of St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 249(illus.);  Ann Wison, 'The Gothic Revival in Ireland:  St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh (1868-1916)', Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 11.2 (2007), 33(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BEECHWOOD AVENUE UPPER (RANELAGH), CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME (RC)
Date: 1914
Nature: Execution of altar railing and steps to designs by W.H. Byrne & Son.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 20 Jun 1914.

Building: CO. MAYO, KNOCKMORE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1915
Nature: Sanctuary window (Last Supper). Executed by Earley & Co.
Refs: IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, NORTH STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1915
Nature: New font, executed to designs by G.C. Ashlin.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 9 Feb 1915.

Building: CO. MAYO, STRAIDE, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1916
Nature: High altar after designs by W.H. Byrne & Son.
Refs: Drawings, 1916, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THORNCASTLE STREET (RINGSEND), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1917
Nature: Pulpit, to designs by W.H. Byrne.
Refs: IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ARBOUR HILL, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC, FORMER BARRACKS CHAPEL)
Date: 1925
Nature: Stained glass tripartite window (Cricifixion, Annunciation, Resurrection), erected in memory of those who die in cause of Irish independence, 1916-1923.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 247.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, TEMPLE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (RC)
Date: 1930s
Nature: Windows in St Anne's aisle, depicting scenes from life of St Anne.
Refs: Information from Rev. Padraig McCarthy, St John's church

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WHITEFRIAR STREET, CARMELITE CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL (RC)
Date: 1931
Nature: Stained glass (4 scenes from the life of the Virgin).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 472.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET LOWER, CONVENT OF SISTERS OF MERCY
Date: 1931
Nature: Stained glass window on altar wall (Immaculate Conception).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 564.

Building: CO. MEATH, KILCARNE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1933
Nature: Adaptation and installation of high altar from Mullingar Cathedral.
Refs: Design(s), dated 1933, in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings, Acc.2006/142

Building: CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, ST MEL'S ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST MEL (RC)
Date: 1937
Nature: Proposed pulpit.
Refs: Undated design, formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, BROAD ROAD, ST LOUIS CONVENT
Date: 1937
Nature: Stained glass E window (Crucifixion).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 470.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, EMYVALE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC, ERRIGAL TRUAGH PARISH)
Date: 1938
Nature: Stained glass window (Crucifixion).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 329.

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, FARNHAM STREET, CATHEDRAL OF SS PATRICK & FELIM (RC, DIOCESE OF KILMORE)
Date: 1939p
Nature: Installed grey marble columns provided by Dinelli Figli, Pietrasanta. Stained glass windows (Heads of 12 Apostles) in apse.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 248,249.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CARRICKCRUPPEN (CAMLOUGH), CHURCH OF ST MALACHY (RC)
Date: 1940s
Nature: E window.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),  205.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, INNISKEEN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1944
Nature: Stained glass windows in sanctuary (SS Daig & Mary Immaculate). (Church, dating from 1820, deconsecrated after erection of new church of Mary, Mother of Mercy, 1974.)
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 358, Pl.91.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, RODEN PLACE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC PRO-CATHEDRAL)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass windows on E. side representing Christ & St Malachy by 'Mssrs. W. Early & Son'
Refs: Rev. J.F. Stokes, St Patrick's Dundalk Centenary Record

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE KING (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Marble group of Holy Family.
Refs: Mullingar Cathedral (guide)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE KING (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Sanctuary fittings by Earley & Co. and others.
Refs: Mullingar Cathedral (guide); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 418

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass windows: the Sacred Heart, the Nativity.
Refs: J. Walsh, Church of SS Peter and Paul, Balbriggan (Dublin, 1992), 13-18

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARRINGTON STREET, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: 8-light window in entrance gable (grisaille and angel musicians).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 631.

Building: CO. CAVAN, MULLAHORAN, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass window in N transept (Annunciation).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 368.

Building: CO. CAVAN, DRUMKILLY, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass window of abstract design.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 400.

Building: CO. CAVAN, CROSSKEYS (CARRICKABOY), CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 212.