Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Church decorators, of Dublin, active from 1864 until 1893. The business was initially established by THOMAS EARLEY  THOMAS EARLEY and the brothers Edward and HENRY POWELL  HENRY POWELL in 1853 as a branch of the Birmingham firm of church decorators, JOHN HARDMAN & JOHN HARDMAN & amp; CO., the Powells being nephews of John Hardman.  The original premises of Hardman's Dublin branch were at 48 Grafton Street, and by February 1860 a workshop had been established at 1 Upper Camden Street. The Grafton Street shop was abandoned between 1860 and 1863.(1) In 1864 Hardman's gave up their connection with the Dublin business,(2) which continued to operate from Upper Camden Street under the name of Earley & Powells or Earley & Powell until the death of Thomas Earley in 1893, although Edward Powell had died in 1876 and Henry Powell in 1882.. By 1883 the firm had acquired additional premises at 23-27 Grantham Street.(3)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is taken from notes supplied by Nicola Gordon-Bowe, 22 Nov 1995, based on information from Michael Earley, consultant plastic surgeon at the Mater Hospital, Dublin.

(1) Thom's Directory (1863).
(2) Advertisements to this effect continued to appear in IB until as late as 1879.
(3) Thom's Directory, 1883.


38 work entries listed in chronological order for EARLEY & POWELLS *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LAOIS, ARLESS, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1865-68
Nature: Altars, stained glass windows, communion rail &c, gift of Mrs Grace of Gracefield, supplied by E & P.
Refs: DB 10, 1 Jun 1868, 143

Building: CO. LOUTH, ARDEE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1866
Nature: Glass in chancel and side chapels.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Jun 1866, 160-1

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAWSON STREET, ST ANN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1866
Nature: Memorial window to - Kemmis in uppser N wall of nave (Christ and the Pharisees).
Refs: DB VIII, ? ? 1866, 68;  Gloine,  http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2957/ (last visited, Sep 2015).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, CARRICKBRENNAN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1866
Nature: Paid £96 on 1 Dec 1866 for altars & carving (chancel arch & capitals)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, p23/2,p23/9

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, JAMES'S STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1866
Nature: Decoration of interior. Apse painted azure powdered with gold. Chancel ceiling has crimson ground with gold foliage, gilt cornice, pictorial panels on ceiling & walls, also geometric designs. Lady Chapel is largely azure, ceiling powdered with gold stars, inscriptions in mediaeval lettering. St Joseph's chapel has walls of grey purple with blue geometric forms & gold monograms &c.
Refs: DB 8, 1 Nov 1866, 258-9

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HALSTON STREET, ST MICHAN'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1866;1868
Nature: Memorial window in N wall (Virgin & St John), 1866. Window(s) in S wall (Scenes from the lives of Christ and the Virgin), 1868.
Refs: DB 8, ? ? 1866, 185; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 91,92;

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOLESWORTH STREET, NO. 017-18 (FREEMASONS' HALL)
Date: 1866p
Nature: Interior decoration.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 490.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, THURLES, CATHEDRAL STREET, CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1867
Nature: Colossal Portland stone statues of the Virgin, St Patrick and St Albert for W gable have been executed..
Refs: IB 9, 15 Oct 1867, 277

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHIBSBOROUGH ROAD, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI, GRANGEGORMAN PARISH)
Date: 1867
Nature: Pulpit, to designs by T. Drew.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Apr 1867, 94; 29, 1 Dec 1887, 341; 31, 15 Feb 1889, 54

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, CHURCH OF ST MARK (CI)
Date: 1868
Nature: Pulpit, executed to designs by Thomas Drew. For Elizabeth, Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry.
Refs: Handbook of the United Diocese of Down & Connor & Dromore (Belfast, 1886), 55

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1868
Nature: Improvements to side chapels.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, p.23/9

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, KILLINEY HILL ROAD, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1868p
Nature: 5-light window in N wall of N transept and 2nd window from E in N wall of nave (Christ walking on the water) attr. to Earley & Powell by Lawrence.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/building/building/2929/ (last visited Mar 2009)

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, LATTIN, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1869
Nature: High altar made of marbles, Caen stone, enamelled brass &c.. Front depicts Pietá with weeping angels.  Highly ornate reredos depicts Annunciation, Nativity, Flight into Egypt and Cornonation of the Virgin. Designed by John Power and worked by E & P.
Refs: IB 11, 1 Aug 1869, 180,181(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, O'CONNELL MEMORIAL
Date: 1869
Nature: O'Connell tomb in crypt under round tower.
Refs: IB 11, 15 Jun 1869, 144,145(illus.); Guide through Glasnevin (1879), 49-52

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, CHURCH OF SS AUGUSTINE & JOHN (RC)
Date: 1869
Nature: Statue of S Augustine, 10ft 6ins high. Architect: G.C. Ashlin. Statue of Christ in typanum above entrance portal also attrib. to E & P.
Refs: IB 11, 15 Jun 1869, 150;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 628.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, ROSCREA, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH OF ST CRONAN (RC)
Date: 1869
Nature: Altars executed by E & P to designs by J.J. McCarthy.
Refs: B 27, 9 Oct 1869, 812

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH ROAD (RAHENY), CHURCH OF ST ASSAM (RC)
Date: 1869
Nature: East window (Christ with the Virgin Mary and St Patrick) in memory of Richard and Catherine Kelly of Manor House, Raheny, erected by Catherine Kelly's brother, Daniel Lee, of Manchester.
Refs: IB 11, 1 Jun 1869, 129

Building: CO. TYRONE, MOY, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI)
Date: 1869
Nature: 3-light window in S transept (the Maries of Scripture). Gift of Rev. W. Hardman.
Refs: Irish Churchman 2, no. 5, 19 Jun 1869, 65;  see Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3395/ (last visited, Feb 2017), which says that window was erected in memory of Charlotte, sife of James Sloane.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLARENDON STREET, CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC, DISCALCED CARMELITES)
Date: 1869;1877
Nature: Stained glass window in chancel (Presentation of the scapular to St Simon Stock), 1869.  Glass in wheel window of new transept, 1877.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 473; IB 19, 1 Jan 1877, 12(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARRINGTON STREET, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (RC)
Date: 1872;1873;1880ca
Nature: Stained glass windows in apse (Crucifixion and Christ in Majesty, 1872, Resurrection and Last Supper, 1873). Windows depicting saints in transepts, 1880ca.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 631.

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, CATHEDRAL OF ST EUGENE (RC)
Date: 1873
Nature: Pulpit and font.
Refs: IB 15, 1,15 Feb 1873, 36(illus.), 47

Building: CO. KILKENNY, FRESHFORD, CHURCH OF ST LACHTAN (CI, AGHOUR PARISH)
Date: 1878
Nature: Stained glass for new window in centre of N side of nave, erected in memory of late rector, Rev. Luke Fowler.  Represents Good Shepherd and Hireling.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 236, 1 Nov 1878, 315;  illus. in Gloine http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2992/ (last visited, Dec 2015).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1879;1904
Nature: E window (Crucifixion) in memory of Archbishops Crolly & Dixon, 1879.  Also 3 other windows, 1904. Sculpted figures in arcade and niches (date?).
Refs: Belfast Observer 1 Nov 1879, quoted in J. Gallogly, History of St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1880), 127; Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1904), ?;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 113.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BERKELEY STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1880a
Nature: High altar, stained glass & decoration.
Refs: Irish Times, 20 Apr 1883, 3.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, DIAMOND, CHURCH OF ST TIGHERNACH (CI)
Date: 1882a
Nature: 6 stained glass windows (but no longer there? cf.Gloine).
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 5, 4 Feb 1882, 76.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FRANCIS STREET, CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS OF MYRA (RC)
Date: 1886
Nature: New pulpit of Sicilian and Siena marbles erected to designs by W.H. Byrne.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Nov 1886, 300

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EXCHANGE STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF SS MICHAEL & JOHN (RC)
Date: 1886ca;1888
Nature: Altar rails, 1886ca; pulpit, 1888.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS P1/2

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, O'NEILL STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1887
Nature: E. window (St Joseph & Prophets). For Rev. Peter Bermingham.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 218

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1892
Nature: Executed high altar to designs by G.C. Ashlin (£2000) . (Tenders received 9 Nov 1891, and altar first used for Bishop McCarthy's requiem, Dec 1893.)  Also window in original mortuary chapel (later removed to base of tower) and BVM altar.
Refs: St Colman's Cathedral, Queenstown (1916), 15,17;  information from Mgr. James O'Brien, Buttevant, Co. Cork; illus. in Ann Wilson, 'The building of St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 246.

Building: CO. DOWN, DONAGHADEE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1892
Nature: Handsome memorial window just completed.
Refs: IB 34, 1 Jul 1892, 149

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Sculpted figures in arcade and niches of BVM altar.
Refs: Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral (1904), 27

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, KANE (JOHN) MEMORIAL
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Guide through Glasnevin (1879), 850

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, O'GORMAN MEMORIAL
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Guide through Glasnevin (1879), 850

Building: CO. KILKENNY, GRAIGUENAMANAGH, CHURCH (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass in E window. Erected by Hughes brothers in memory of their parents.
Refs: IB 18, 15 Feb 1876, 48

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, STATION ROAD, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Ceiling decoration.
Refs: Patricia McCarthy & Kevin V. Mulligan 'Unfulfilled mediocrity: the hapless career of Dominick Madden in the west of Ireland', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies, 10 (2007), 134, citing J. Williams, Companion guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 5

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH OF THE PRIORY OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: High altar and 4 3-light windows (Subjects: (1)Transfiguration, Resurrection and Ascension; (2)Vision of St Catherine of Siena, Baptism of Christ, St Thomas Aquinas and the Crudcifixion; (3)Nativity of Christ;(4)St Dominic and Pope Pius V.) Also 2-light window (St Patrick & St Bridget).
Refs: George Henry Bassett, Kilkenny City and County (1884), 29,54 (advertisement)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, JAMES'S STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: 3-light window presented by Alderman Cullen, JP (The Assumption); 6 single-light windows in apse erected at expense of Dr Walshe, Bishop of Ossory (The Prophets); 2-light windows in side chapels.
Refs: George Henry Bassett, Kilkenny City and County (1884), 54 (advertisement)

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Some stained glass windows.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 465.