Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stained glass designer, of Dublin. William Earley was born in 1872, the youngest son of JOHN FARRINGTON EARLEY JOHN FARRINGTON EARLEY , a brother of JOHN BISHOP EARLEY  JOHN BISHOP EARLEY and a nephew of THOMAS EARLEY THOMAS EARLEY . While he was attending the College of Art in the 1890s, Earley won the Royal Irish Academy's Taylor Scholarship jointly with William Orpen. He was afterwards an apprentice in EDWARD MARTYN' EDWARD MARTYN' s church decorating firm on St Stephen's Green. Although his abilities as a stained glass artist were highly valued by Martyn, by 1903 he had left Martyn's establishment to help out in the family business, now run by his brother John, which had run into difficulties. The business continued for many years as Messrs. EARLEY & CO EARLEY & CO . William Earley died on 23 September 1956 and was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery.(1)

Address: 56 South Richmond Street at time of death.(2)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is taken from notes supplied by Nicola Gordon-Bowe, 22 Nov 1995, based on information from Michael Earley, consultant plastic surgeon at the Mater Hospital, Dublin.

(1) Glasnevin Cemetery records.
(2) See note 1, above.


5 work entries listed in chronological order for EARLEY, WILLIAM *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOREHAMPTON ROAD (DONNYBROOK), GAYFIELD, ST MARY'S DISCALCED CARMELITE HOUSE OF STUDIES
Date: 1903
Nature: WE exhibits design for stained glass window at RHA.
Refs: RHA 1903, no. 270.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HIGH STREET, ST AUDOEN'S CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1903
Nature: WE exhibits design for stained glass window at RHA.
Refs: RHA 1903, no. 259

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLOUCESTER STREET LOWER, MAGDALEN ASYLUM & CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF REFUGE
Date: 1904
Nature: WE exhibits designs for high altar and side altar at RHA.
Refs: RHA 1904, nos. 300,307

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STILLORGAN ROAD (DONNYBROOK), CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1934
Nature: Side altar to designs by R.H. Byrne.
Refs: IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142

Building: CO. CAVAN, DRUMCOR (KILMORE), CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Stained glass.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 397.