Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Armagh. John Henry Fullerton, who was born on 30 January 1844, was a son of WILLIAM TURNEY FULLERTON  WILLIAM TURNEY FULLERTON by his wife Jane (née Carpenter) and was probably the elder brother of WILLIAM FULLERTON.& WILLIAM FULLERTON.& #160;   He was apprenticed to his father(1) and appears to have been working for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners by 1867, when he made survey drawings of the church at Randalstown, Co. Antrim.(2)    He was in private practice from about 1871.(3)  In June 1880 he was appointed district architect to the Representative Church Body for the dioceses of Armagh, Down and Derry.(4)   He is described as 'diocesan architect' in a note in the Irish Builder about repairs to the church of Ballybay, Co. Monaghan, in the diocese of Clogher in 1881(5) and also in the minutes of the RIAI for 1884.(6)  In April 1892 at the annual meeting of the vestry of St Mark's church, Armagh, he upbraided the Dean of Armagh, Dr George Chadwick, for allowing 'ritualistic practices' in the cathedral, citing the placing of five crosses on the altar and the rising of the congregation to its feet on the entry of the clergy.(7)

Between January 1881 and May 1885 Fullerton's managing assistant was CECIL ORR. CECIL ORR. (8) Other pupils and assistants included WILLIAM MORTIMER PATON. WILLIAM MORTIMER PATON.

Fullerton remained in Armagh until at least 1898 but by 1901 had moved to London.(9) He died on 2 March 1924. He had married Frances Margaretta Isabella Hannan (d.1932) on 4 April 1888 and had at least three children.

RSAI: elected member, 1884.(10)
RIAI: proposed for membership by RICHARD LANGRISHE RICHARD LANGRISHE , seconded by THOMAS DREW & THOMAS DREW & amp; WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL , 3 March 1884(11) and elected 7 April 1884; elected fellow, 17 December 1887;(12) reads paper 'On the better protection of the profession' at meeting of 12 December 1888.(13)

See WORKS. See also WILLIAM TURNEY FULLERTON  WILLIAM TURNEY FULLERTON and WILLIAM FULLERTON. WILLIAM FULLERTON.



References

The genealogical information in this entry is from www.familysearch.org.

(1) IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(2) In RCB Library, portfolio 7.
(3) IB 24, 1 Jan 1882, 14; his letter is on the subject of his having received an offer from the Silicate Paint Co. to allow him a commission if he specified the use of their products.
(4) See note 1, above,
(5)  IB 23, 1 Feb 1881, 48.
(6) RIAI council meeting minutes, 3 Mar 1884, 232.
(7) Irish Times, 19 Apr 1892.
(8) Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 291.
(9) RIAI lists of members, 1898, 1901; his address in London 1901-1906 was 21 Fopstone Rd, Kensington.
(10) JRSAI 16 (1883-4), 317.
(11) See note 6, above.
(12) RIAI council meeting minutes, 5 Dec 1887, 259; annual general meeting minutes, 17 Dec 1887, 284; IB 30, 1 Jan 1888, 7.
(13) RIAI general meeting minutes, 12 Dec 1888, 280; IB 30, 15 Dec 1888, 331.


38 work entries listed in chronological order for FULLERTON, JOHN HENRY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, RANDALSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (CI, DRUMMAUL PARISH)
Date: 1867
Nature: JHF makes survey.
Refs: Survey drawing(s), signed and dated 1867, in RCB Library, portfolio 7

Building: CO. ANTRIM, RANDALSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (CI, DRUMMAUL PARISH)
Date: 1867
Nature: JHF makes survey.
Refs: Survey drawing(s), signed and dated 1867, in RCB Library, portfolio 7

Building: CO. ARMAGH, RICHHILL, PARSONAGE (CI)
Date: 1875a
Nature: New parsonage 'recently' completed.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 17, no. 199, 23 Dec 1875, 305.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: Interior entirely remodelled:  new pews, pulpit, desk and lectern, new communion rail and gallery front.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, 207, 24 Jul 1876, 211.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, DRUMSNATT, CHURCH OF ST MOLUA (CI)
Date: 1876
Nature: Church reopened, 13 Dec 1876 after very extensive repairs and improvements.  Interior entirely remodelled under duperintendence of JHF. New pews, pulpit, desk, lectern; E end railed off as a chancel. E window erected in memory of REv. W. Nassau Thomson, son of Robert Thomsaon of Thornhill. By Mssrs. Horwood, Frome.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 213, 1 Jan 1877, 15.

Building: CO. TYRONE, STEWARTSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, DONAGHENDRY PARISH)
Date: 1877
Nature: Rebuilding after fire of 5 Feb 1877; 'almost a new edifice' in Gothic style. Opened 12 Oct 1877. Builder: Senior, Gortnaglush.
Refs: IB 19, 15 Feb,1 Nov 1877, 52,321

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, BALLYBAY, IRISH CHURCH SCHOOL
Date: 1878
Nature: Enlargement of school of 1838.  Tenders invited, Sep 1878. For R.C. Leslie French.
Refs: Belfast News Letter, 28 Sep 1878;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 153.

Building: CO. TYRONE, FIVEMILETOWN, PARSONAGE
Date: 1878
Nature: New parsonage 'just erected'.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 20, no. 231, 1 Jun 1878, 164.

Building: CO. DOWN, DONAGHADEE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1879-1881
Nature: Enlargement and improvement superintended by JHF after death of the architect, Timothy Hevey.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no 70, 30 Apr 1881, 296;  Handbook of the United Dicese of Down & Connor & Dromore (Belfast, 1886), 42; Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996) 99(illus.).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1880
Nature: Alternative baronial and Italianate proposals. Unexecuted.
Refs: Drawings in Armagh County Museum, see Hugh Dixon, Ulster Architecture 1800-1900 (UAHS, 1972), 27 (no. 141, baronial design repro. in unpaginated plate section)

Building: CO. OFFALY, CLONMACNOISE, MAUSOLEUM FOR JOHN MALONE, DL
Date: 1880
Nature: Executed by F.P. Hughes & Co., Athlone.
Refs: IB 22, 15 Feb 1880, 56

Building: CO. ARMAGH, MEIGH, CHURCH OF ST LUKE (CI, KILLEAVY PARISH)
Date: 1880-81
Nature: Alterations and improvements contemplated. New chancel to be built, pews altered, and handsome window placed in E end in memory of late M. Chambre. Work in progress by Mar 1881. '‘A new chancel,
some stained glass windows, and other important changes willrender this quite a handsome little country church.’  Opened 3 Jun 1881. 'we are sorry that his [JHF's] plans have been departed from in the matter of the pulpit and the vestry door, the latter of which gives access through the chancel, a most objectionable feature.'
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 22, no. 8, 21 Feb 1880, 165; 23, no. 62, 5 Mar 1881,165; 23, no. 75, 4 Jun 1881, 394; 23, no. 76, 11 Jun 1881, 416.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, BALLYBAY, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: External & internal improvements including new chancel. Reopened 25 Jan 1881 and consecrated 29 Sep 1881. Contractors: Irwin Bros, Ballybay. Carving on communion table by James McKean, Esq., JP, Larragh House, under whose personal supervision entire altar was made.Embroidered hangings on E wall made and donated by Mrs French, Ballybay House.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no. 58, 5 Feb 1881, 99,102; no. 59, 12 Feb 1881, 123; no. 93, 8 Oct 1881, 699;  IB 23, 1 Feb 1881, 48 (see unsigned, undated plan and section in RCB Library, portfolio 3, which may relate to these improvements); J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes (1929), 119;  illus. in Clergy of Clogher  (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006), 20;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 152.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNLEER, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: Ancient church at present being ‘thoroughly restored’. N transept separated from church for use as parish hall. Church repewed, new Gothic windows installed. New pulpit, lectern and prayer desk. Glastonbury chairs.  ’The old horse boxes are gone, and neat open benches of pitch pine varnished occupy their places, a prayer desk, prayer wise, and neat lectern, and a handsome pulpit…are correctly placed south and north, while the east window of the chancel is filled with stained glass, gift of the Dowager Lady Rathdonnell.’ New organ by Telford. Substantial grant from Marshal Beresford Fund.  Churc reopened, 9 Nov 1881.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no 61, 26 Feb 1881, 150;  no. 99, 19 Nov 1881, 80; 24, no. 156[157], 30 Dec 1882 981.

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA, CHURCH (CI, LURGAN PARISH)
Date: 1881
Nature: Repairs and improvements, largely funded by Marquess of Headfort. Re-pewed, pr-chancel raised, new choir stalls, pulpit and brass lectern;  new underground heating.. Church reopened, 1 Sep 1881.  Contractors: Mssrs. Irwin, Ballibay.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no. 89, 10 Sep 1881, 626.

Building: CO. DOWN, CARLINGFORD, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1882
Nature: Church reopened 14 Jul, ‘after entire internal restoration – the old
pulpit, desk, rails pews, and fireplaces set half-way ip the wall have been swept awau, and handsome pitch pine open seats, pulpit,prayer-desk, and rail on iron decorated posts, put in their place.'
Contractor: Henry Forrest, Cookstown.
Refs: IB 24, 1 Jul 1882, 195;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 134, 22 Jul 1882, 513,516.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, BESSBROOK, CHRIST CHURCH (CAMLOUGH CI PARISH)
Date: 1882
Nature: Addition of W gallery. Church reopened, 20 May 1882. Contractor: A. Whelan, Newry.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 127, 3 Jun 1882, 394.

Building: CO. LOUTH, CARLINGFORD, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1882
Nature: Church reopened 'after entire internal restoration — the odl pulpit, desk, rails, pews, and fireplaces set half-way up the wall have been swept away, and handsome pitch pine open seats, pulpit, prayer-desk, and rail on iron decorated posts, put in their place'.

Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 134, 22 Jul 1882, 516.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, DIAMOND, CHURCH OF ST TIGHERNACH (CI)
Date: 1882a
Nature: Extensive repairs and improvements, including 6 stained glass windows by Earley & Powells (no longer there).  Painting and decorating by J. Stratton, a local trasesman. Church seats and panelling by Irwin Bros. Ballybay, after design of JHF, diocesan architect. Church formally opened, 29 Jan 1882.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 5, 4 Feb 1882, 76.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, MASONIC HALL
Date: 1884
Nature: New hall in Early Gothic style. Cost £1,400. 'The principal gable faces The Mall, next to the First Presbyterian Church, and is flanked on one side by a tower and spire, and on the other by a circular-ended staircase with steep conical roof. The largest lodge room is 40 feet by 20. Full accommodation is provided for the four lodges (39, 299) 400 and 623)' (Bassett) .
Refs: IB 26, 1 Apr 1884, 95; Bassett's Guide to Co. Armagh (1888), 110; William Fullerton, Architectural Examples in Brick, Stone, Wood and Iron (3rd edn. [1914]), Pls.44,57?,212; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992),144;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),118,Pl.85.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LISNADILL, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out imps. & repairs. Architect: 'A.J. Fullerton'.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 70 (or 71)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGHBREAGUE, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Imps. & repairs.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 70 (or 71)

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, TULLYNORAN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Imps. & repairs. Architect 'A.J. Fullerton'.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 71

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, COLEBROOKE, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Imps. & repairs. See also FER, AGHALURCHER, RECTORY.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 70 (or 71)

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, BROOKEBOROUGH, AUGHAVEA GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Imps. & repairs.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 70 (or 71)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, CULDAFF, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out imps. & repairs.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 71

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNNALONG, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Tenders invited for carrying out improvements & repairs.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 71

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILDARTON, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1885
Nature: Tenders invited for adding porch to church, Mar 1885..
Refs: IB 27, 1 Mar 1885, 71

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, CROM, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1885
Nature: Belfry tower in memory of Selina, Countess of Erne.
Refs: IB 27, 15 Sep 1885, 262; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 223 (wrongly said to be by William Fullerton);  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 245. 

Building: CO. DOWN, MAGHERALLY (BANBRIDGE), CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1885-87
Nature: New church with round tower. FS laid by Lord Arthur Hill, MP, 28 Nov 1885. Consecrated 31 Aug 1887. Estimated cost: £2,200. Contractor: Finney, Belfast.
Refs: IB 27, I Aug,? ? 1885, 223,329; William Fullerton, Architectural Examples in Brick, Stone, Wood and Iron(3rd edition [1914]), Pls.191,192;  Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 219(illus.);  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 200.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, DEAN'S HILL, DEANERY
Date: 1887
Nature: Altered under supervision of JHF.
Refs: Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 100; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 137.

Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST LURAN (CI, DERRYLORAN PARISH)
Date: 1887
Nature: Imps. including large addition to chancel & new organ. Contractor: James Burnet, Cookstown.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Feb 1887, 46

Building: CO. TYRONE, AUGHNACLOY, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (CI, CARNTEEL PARISH)
Date: 1887
Nature: Alts. & imps., including new open benches, pulpit, reading desk, communion rail, chancel tiling.
Refs: IB 29, 15 Jan 1887, 32

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ROSSFAD
Date: 1890
Nature: Unexecuted proposal for remodelling late 18th c house in Baronial style. For Col. John Mervyn Archdall Carleton Richardson
Refs: Signed, dated drawings in PRONI, T12 30/2

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, 1ST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (THE TEMPLE)
Date: 1890
Nature: Internal alterations to church of 1834-9.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 367.

Building: CO. DERRY, MONEYMORE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI, DESERTLYN PARISH)
Date: 1891
Nature: Restoration, virtually rebuilding, after fire of Jan 1889. Walls of nave and wings renewed. Open pitch-pine roof. Pulpit restored with Caen stone. Cost over £2,500. Church reopened 10 Oct 1891. Contractor: J. Smith.
Refs: Architect 41, 1 Feb 1889, 1; B 61, 14 Nov 1891, 374; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 424 (wrongly said to be by William Fullerton)

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, TYHOLLAND, CHURCH OF ST SILLIAN (CI)
Date: 1891
Nature: Repairs.
Refs: IB 33, 1 Sep 1891, 196

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MAGHERACLOONE, CHURCH OF ST MOLUA (CI)
Date: 1891
Nature: Enlargement of church by addition of chancel and vestry. Consecrated, Jun 1891.
Refs: J.B. Leslie, Clogher Clergy and Parishes  (1929), 222;   Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 227 (who gives date of original church as 1824).