Architect, of Dublin. James Arthur Douglas, a son of Senator James Green Douglas, was born on 8 February 1915 and attended Rathgar Junior School and Newtown School, Waterford. After taking a course in experimental science at Trinity College, Dublin, he was articled to BRADBURY & EVANS in September 1932. He was a Quaker and was architect to the Quaker Bloomfield Hospital, Dublin. He died in 1990.
AAI: member, 1932.
RIAI: member, 1940; fellow between 1955 and 1960; still in yearbook for 1987 but no longer listed in 1991.
Addresses: Knocknashane, Brennanstown Rd, Carrickmines, 1948-49; 18 Wexford St, Dublin, from circa 1950-51 onwards.
All information in this entry is from Douglas's application for registration as a probationer of the RIAI, 1932, in IAA, Acc.93/136, Box 59, and from D.M. Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 232, and AAI and RIAI membership lists.
5 work entries listed in chronological order for DOUGLAS, JAMES ARTHUR
Sort by date | Sort alphabetically
||CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, BRENNANSTOWN ROAD, KNOCKNASHANE
||International modern style. Designed by JAD for his father, James Green Douglas..
RIAI Yearbook (1946), 53(illus.); AJ , 21 Aug 1947, 169-171(illus.); Paul Larmour, Free State Architecture: Modern Movement architecture in Ireland, 1922-1949 (Kinsale: Gandon Editions, 2009), 77,78(illus.).