- Born: - Died: -
Architect of the county infirmary at Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, 1817.(1) James Downs is probably also the 'Mr Downes the Architect' who was paid £2.16s.6d for repairs to Clogher cathedral in 1820.(2) A James Downes was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 3 November 1796.(3)
(1) Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds., Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 4: Parishes of Co. Fermanagh 1834-5 (1990), 55.
(2) RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).
(3) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Architectural Drawing admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
2 work entries listed in chronological order for DOWNS, JAMES
|Building:||CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, TEMPO ROAD, COUNTY INFIRMARY|
|Nature:||'There is no hospital in town, but the county infirmary is situated about a quarter of a mile on the east side of it. It is a plain building, 2-storeys high, surmountted by a cupola and weather cock. Erected by subscription in 1817 at the expense of 1,600, pounds, architect James Downs.'|
|Refs:||Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, eds.Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 4: Parishes of Co. Fermanagh 1834-5 (1990), 55.|
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, CLOGHER, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (CI)|
|Nature:||'Mr Downes the Architect' paid £2.16s.6d. for repairs to cathedral costing £100.
RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).