Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer and architect, of Newtownards, Co. Down. According to the 1911 census, Henry Chappell was born in England circa 1832.  He was probably already an assistant county surveyor for Co. Down in 1863; he is described as the 'local chargé d'affairs' of HENRY SMYTH HENRY SMYTH , the county surveyor for the northern division of the county, in an article on Newtownards which appeared in the Dublin Builder in December of that year.(1) He may also have worked as a local architect for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, for in June 1869 his name was put forward as a candidate for fellowship of the RIAI by the Commissioners' joint architects, WILLIAM JOHN WELLAND  WILLIAM JOHN WELLAND and WILLIAM GILLESPIE. WILLIAM GILLESPIE. (2) There seems, however, to have been some problem about his candidature: at a council meeting of 22 November it was decided that further information on the subject should be sought from Smyth,(3) and on 26 November Welland and Gillespie wrote to the Council withdrawing Chappell's name.(4) Chappell was eventually elected a member of the Institute in 1878.(5) He is still listed as one of ten assistant surveyors for Co. Down in 1883 but had ceased to hold this post by 1900.(6) He died in 1924.(7)  He was a widower when the census was taken in 1911, living alone with a young housekeeper.

RIAI: elected member 13 December 1878.(8)
ICEI: elected associate, 8 March 1876;(9) member, 12 December 1883.(10)
RSAI: elected member 19 January 1876.(11)

Addresses: The Grove, North Street, Newtownards, Co. Down, <=1902(12) until 1924.(13)

See WORKS.



References



(1) DB 5, 1 Dec 1863, 197.
(2) RIAI council meeting minutes, 21 Jun 1869, 131, 1 Nov 1869, 133.
(3) RIAI council meeting minutes, 22 Nov 1869, 135.
(4) RIAI council meeting minutes, 3 Jan 1870, 138.
(5) RIAI general meeting minutes, 28 Nov 1878, 271.
(6) Thom's Directory Ireland 1900.
(7) IB 66, 18 Oct 1924, 898.
(8) See note 4, above.
(9) TICEI 11 (1874-6), 96.
(10) TICEI 15 (1883-4), 30.
(11) JRSAI 14 (1876-1878), 6.
(12) TICEI 29 (1901-1902), list of members.
(13) JRIAI (1924), list of members.


10 work entries listed in chronological order for CHAPPELL, HENRY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, SHOPS
Date: 1863a
Nature: Block of shops at rere of Francis St 'of attractive design in variegated bricks...finished some time since under Mr Chappell's directions'.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Dec 1863, 197

Building: CO. DOWN, GREYABBEY, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (CI)
Date: 1868-9
Nature: New church retaining tower and spire of 1778p.  Contractor: John Home (or Howe?). FS laid 22 Jul 1868. Dedicated 2 Oct 1869. ‘Here, over-hanging the ruins of the noble and, perhaps, most beautiful of the abbey
churches in Ireland, steps are being taken to erect a church, of the merits of which we would fain
speak as leniently as possible, but as to the questionable taste of spending money on plan[n?]ing
this mushroom edifice in in contrast with the noble church, which cries out only for a roof, provokes
adverse criticism.’ (Irish Churchman).
Refs: Elevation, sections, signed and dated 31 Jul 1868,  in Representative Church Body Library, portfolio 11, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/3735 (last visited, Feb 2017);  Irish Churchman 1, no. 5, 20 Jun 1868, 67 Fred Rankin, ed., Clergy of Down and Dromore (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1996), 115(illus.);  exterior also illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 192.

Building: CO. DOWN, CASTLEWELLAN, SHAW MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN
Date: 1869
Nature: Fountain in memory of George Shaw, JP, for many years agent to the Earl of Annesley. HC's design selected from 9 submitted in competition. Design consists of pedestal supporting Gothic canopy, high enough to carry a figure.
Refs: IB 11, 1 May 1869, 104; B 27, 1 May 1869, 356

Building: CO. DOWN, KILLYNETHER HOUSE
Date: 1876
Nature: Alts. & imps. for Marquess of Londonderry 'now nearly completed'.
Refs: IB 18, 15 Aug 1876, 235,237(illus.)

Building: CO. DOWN, GRANSHA, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1878-9
Nature: New church.  FS laid 7 Oct 1878. Builder: Hutcheson Keith, Belfast.  Opened, May 1879.
Refs: RHA 1879, no. 312; IB 21, 15 Jun 1879, 178 (illus.); Architect 73, 8 Jun 1878, 342;  Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006),  163-4(illus.).


Building: CO. DONEGAL, MOVILLE, CEMETERY
Date: 1879
Nature: Laying out & embellishing of new cemetery to be carried out.
Refs: IB 21, 1 Apr 1879, 113

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ANTRIM ROAD (& FORTWILLIAM PARK), FORTWILLIAM PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1883-1885
Nature: New Gothic church to seat 850 with lecture hall to seat 500. Tower and spire. Ventilation through zinc tubes in roof carried up to air pump in ornamental flèche. FS laid 1 Jan 1884. Opened April 1885. Builder: - Henry. Cost:£7000
Refs: Architect 29, 12 Jan 1884, 37; IB 26, 15 Jan 1884, 21; 27, 1 May 1885, 128-9; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 47 (no. 103, illus.)

Building: CO. DOWN, BANGOR, WATERWORKS
Date: 1895
Nature: New reservoir TO BE BUILT AT COST OF ABOUT £7,600.
Refs: IB 37, 15 Jan 1895, 27

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, DISPENSARY
Date: 1901
Nature: Proposed
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun 1901, 757

Building: CO. DOWN, BANGOR, SOUTHWELL ROAD, NO. 019-23
Date: 1902
Nature: Terrace of 3-storey stucco houses with Dutch gables. For William Hanna.
Refs: Marcus Patton, Bangor: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1999), 197