Assistant county surveyor for Co. Meath from 1899 or earlier until between 1915 and 1918. According to his 1911 census return, Charles Kerr Douglas was born in Co. Meath in 1865 or 1866; he can therefore almost certainly be identified as Charles Douglas, son of Richard Douglas and Anne Kerr, who was born at Summerhill, Co. Meath, on 18 March 1865.. He studied engineering at Queen's College, Galway, for three years, and then spent nineteen months as clerk of works for Trim Industrial School. He was appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Meath circa 1889 and elected engineer to the Trim Board of Guardians in 1905, a post which he held until at least 1909. He was also engineer to Trim Rural District Council from circa 1905. After ceasing to be an assistant county surveyor, he continued to practise privately as an architect and engineer until at least 1924. At the time of the 1911 census he had been married for eight years to his wife, Frances Edith, and had three children.
AAI: member, 1899; had ceased membership by 1907.
ICEI: associate member, 2 May 1900; had ceased membership by 1924.
Addresses: The Villa, Rathmolyon, Enfield, Co.Meath, 1903; Rathmolyon House, Enfield, 1904-1906; Foxbrook, Moyvalley, Co. Kildare, 1911-1921; Rathmolyon House, Enfield, Co. Meath, 1922-1924.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from ICEI membership applications, III, 106, and from the 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Nov 2009).
Thom's Directory (1915); he is no longer named as an assistant county surveyor in the 1918 directory.
www.familoysearch.org (last visited Nov 2009).
IB 47, 22 Apr 1905, 286.
IB 50, 18 Apr 1908, 250.
See note 4, above.
Lists of members in AAI Green Books.
TICEI 28 (1898-1901), ?.
TICEI 51, list of members.
See note 6, above.
TICEI lists of members.
IB 64, 2 Dec 1922, 830; 66, 23 Feb 1924, 150.