Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Omagh, Co. Tyrone, and Dublin. James Louis Donnelly, a native of Co. Tyrone,  was apprenticed to WILLIAM HAGUE  WILLIAM HAGUE in April 1888 and, after completing his pupillage, spent a further four years in Hague's office as his paid assistant.   He then lived for two years and eight months in London, working in three different architects' offices.   In the spring of 1898 he returned to Ireland and set up his own practice at 2 Bridge Street, Omagh.(1)  He had become town surveyor for Omagh by 1900,(2) assisted for a time by JAMES VALENTINE JOHNSTON. JAMES VALENTINE JOHNSTON. (3) In June 1902 he entered into partnership with RUDOLPH MAXIMILIAN BUTLER. RUDOLPH MAXIMILIAN BUTLER. (4) Although he moved to Dublin, he appears to have kept close links with Omagh, where he was the architect responsible for building labourers' dwellings for the Rural District Council, a position to which he was reappointed in 1907.(5)

Donnelly's partnership with Butler, known as DOOLIN BUTLER & DOOLIN BUTLER & amp; DONNELLY DONNELLY , had come to an end by April 1908.(6) He then practised on his own from Upper Sackville Street and briefly from 21 Belvedere Place.(7) He appears to have retired from active practice circa 1918, when he gave up his membership of both the RIAI and AAI, although he lived on in Dublin until at least 1933.(8)

AAI:(9) elected member, 1902; ceased membership, 1918.
RIAI: elected member, 16 Dec 1899, having been promoted by GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN , sconded by WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN ;(10) ceased membership, 1918.(11)
RIBA: passed preliminary examination for qualification as probationer, June 1897.(12)
Society of Architects: member, 1908.(13)

Addresses:(14) Work: 2 Bridge Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, 1899; Dawson Street Dublin, 1902-1908; 6 Upper Sackville Street, 1909; 33 Upper Sackville Street, 1910-1916; 21 Belvedere Place, 1917.
Home: 79 Calabria Road, Highbury, London, 1897;(15) 41 Rathdown Road, Dublin, <=1911->=1934

See WORKS. See also works of DOOLIN BUTLER & DOOLIN BUTLER & amp; DONNELLY. DONNELLY.



References

 


(1)
Details of Donnelly's early training and career are from IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(2)
IB 43, 1 Jan 1901, 587.
(3)
IB 50, 16 May 1908, 310.
(4)
IB 43, 19 Jun 1902, 1283.
(5)
His reappointment is announced in IB 49, 29 Jun 1907, 458; for other references to his or the practice's involvement in labourers' housing in and around Omagh see: IB 43, 13 Mar,24 Apr,6 Jun 1901, 658,703,753; 46, 12 Mar,3 Dec 1904, 158,826; 47, 3,17 Jun 1905, 386,422; 50, 14 Nov 1908, 707; Building News 95, 27 Nov 1908, 760; 97, 10 Sep 1909, 400
(6)
Gearoid Crookes, 'The Career and architectural works of Walter G. Doolin (1850-1902)', unpublished Ph.D. thesis for Department of the History of Art, UCD, 1987) I,141, says that the partnership terminated in 1907; it had certainly done so by April 1908 (IB 50, 4 Apr 1908, 222); although the AAI list of members for the session 1909-1910 still has the two men at the same address.
(7)
Membership lists in AAI Green Books.
(8)
He appears in Thom's Directory for 1934 but not in that for 1937.
(9)
Membership lists in AAI Green Books.
(10)
RIAI general meeting minutes, 16 Dec 1899, 340, and see note 1, above.
(11)
JRIAI (1919), 10.
(12)
See note 1, above.
(13)
A.C. Freeman, ed., The Architect's & Surveyor's Directory & Referendum (1910), 186; see also Journal of the Society of Architects 13 (Sep 1920), 426.
(14)
From RIAI and AAI lists of members and Thom's Directories unless otherwise stated.
(15)
See note 1, above.


17 work entries listed in chronological order for DONNELLY, JAMES LOUIS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. TYRONE, DRUMRAGH, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1898
Nature: Alts. & adds, caretaker's residence. For Right Rev. Monsignor McNamee.
Refs: Building News 75, 22 Jul 1898, xiii; IB 40, 1 Aug 1898, 119

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1898
Nature: Additions, alterations and caretaker's residence to be carried out for Rt. Rev. Mons. Bernard McNamee.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Aug 1898, 119

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, WATER SUPPLY
Date: 1900
Nature: -
Refs: IB 42, 1 Sep 1900, 470

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, SEWERAGE
Date: 1900
Nature: -
Refs: IB 42, 1 Sep 1900, 470; 43, 1 Jan,13 Feb,24 Apr 1901, 587,627,704

Building: CO. TYRONE, FINTONA, HOUSE
Date: 1901
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting same.
Refs: B 80, 4 May 1901, 454

Building: CO. TYRONE, GORTIN, WATERWORKS
Date: 1901
Nature: -
Refs: IB 43, 13 Mar,10 Oct,7 Nov 1901, 658,891,932

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, ABATTOIR
Date: 1901
Nature: -
Refs: IB 43, 29 Aug 1901, 846

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, HOUSING
Date: 1901;1904;1907-
Nature: Houses and labourers' cottages in town and district.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Dec 1900, 560; 43, 13 Mar,24 Apr,6 Jun 1901, 656(or 658?),703,753; 46, 12 Mar 1904, 158; 47, 9 Jun 1905, 394; 50, 14 Nov 1908, 707; 49, 29 Jun 1907, 458; Building News 95, 27 Nov 1908, 760; 97, 10 Sep 1909, 400

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1902
Nature: Erection of Protestant chapel. Contr: David Funston, Ballyshannon (£1750).
Refs: IB 44, 19 Jun,3 Jul 1902, 1292,1308;  52nd Report on district, criminal and private lunatic asylums (1903), 552

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, KILLYMAN ROAD, ST PATRICK'S ACADEMY
Date: 1902
Nature: Completed by Spring 1902.
Refs: Printed testimonial from P.J. Dean Byrne, PP, 1 Apr 1903, in IAA, Butler papers, Acc. 85/107; IB 44, 22 May 1902, 1250,1257(illus.)

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, HIGH STREET, POST OFFICE, INLAND REVENUE OFFICE & CARETAKER'S RESIDENCE
Date: 1902
Nature: But Post Office apparently designed by Robert Cochrane, OPW; JLD was probably simply the administrator in his capacity as town surveyor.
Refs: IB 43, 5 Dec 1901, 962; 44, 10 Apr 1902, 1108 (also 1082?); B 82, 5 Apr 1902, 355;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 448. 

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DRUMCREE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (RC)
Date: 1910
Nature: New altar in memory of Canon Byrne, PP (d. 1907).  Body of altar of Sicilian marble with Mexican onyx shafts. Reredos panels of Siena marble. Work carried out by Patrick Tomlin & Son, Grantham Street and Grantham Place. Unveiled 19 Aug 1910.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 23 Aug 1910.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, BOHO, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: Rebuilding of church of 1832.
Refs: IB 53, 28 Oct 1911, 726

Building: CO. TYRONE, FINTONA, THE BEECHES
Date: ?
Nature: For William Bullick.
Refs: Printed testimonial from William Bullick, Feb 1902, among Butler papers in IAA (Acc. 85/107)

Building: CO. TYRONE, KILLYCLOGHER, CHURCH (RC, OLD)
Date: ?
Nature: Donnelly responsible for setting in of altar and stained glass window.
Refs: Printed testimonial from James O'Kane, PP, among Butler papers in IAA (Acc. 95/107)

Building: CO. TYRONE, KNOCKMOYLE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Remodelling.
Refs: Printed testimonial from James O'Kane, PP, among Butler papers in IAA (Acc. 95/107)

Building: CO. TYRONE, CAPPAGH (OMAGH), PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: New.
Refs: Printed testimonial from James O'Kane PP among Butler papers in IAA (Acc. 95/107)