- Born: - Died: -
A number of Colhouns are recorded as builders in Derry from the 1860s or earlier until the 1930s or later, though it is not clear whether all of them were related,as the name is a common one in the county. In the 1860s there were contractors named Hutchison & Colhoun in Derry. During the 1870s a Robert Colhoun was in business as a builder, joined in 1877 by his brother Joseph Colhoun, who was born in Co. Donegal in the late 1840s. Together Robert and Joseph Colhoun developed and expanded the business as 'Colhoun Bros.', moving it to new premises in the Strand. Their partnership was dissolved in 1892, when Joseph Colhoun set up the Londonderry Saw Mills on Strand Road, subsequently acquiring the Strand Saw Mills, while Robert Colhoun's son carried on the business of Robert Colhoun (formerly Colhoun Bros.). There was also a John Colhoun (b1869/70), of 19 Northland Road, Derry, who was active as a builder and contractor in the 1890s amd 1900s,(1) while an A W.J. Colhoun was the contractor for the reconstruction of the court house at Malin, Co. Donegal, in 1927.(2)
Information about Joseph Colhoun is from the profile in Modern Ireland: Men of the Period (London ), 178.
(1) See 1911 census of Ireland, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ (last visited Oct 2009).
(2) IB 69, 3 Sep 1927, 653.