Builder and architect, of Cork. Alexander Deane ('little Sandy'), the third son of WILLIAM DEANE and his wife Susanne (née Jervis), was born in about 1790. He was the brother-in-law of ABRAHAM HARGRAVE , and the first cousin of THOMAS DEANE and ALEXANDER SHARPE DEANE.& #160; He is presumably the 'Alex. Deane' who signs himself 'dist[rict] arch[itect]' to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.on a sheet of designs for Kilmoe parish church, Co. Cork, dating from 1839. He was appointed architect to Cork Town Council's Markets Committee on 8 July 1842 In 1844 he is described as 'Corporation Architect', a position which he may already have held when he designed the new Police Court in 1843. By 1847 he also held the position of 'Superintendent of Works' to the Harbour Commissioners. During the 1850s hewas active in Cobh, where he was architect for the new town hall and market (1851) and contractor for the new docks designed by JOHN RENNIE for the shipbuilders Wheeler & Co. (1855). Laing's Cork Mercantile Directory for 1863 lists an architect named Alexander Deane, as does Henry & Coghlan's General Directory of Cork for 1867.
Deane died on 14 June 1869. He had married his first cousin, Emily, daughter of James Roche and Agnes Deane, on 21 February 1818. He is presumably the person of the same name who was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers of Ireland. On 9 May 1848, he submitted his 'plan for cleansing the River Liffey, as the main sewer of the City of Dublin' by means of 'a small steam vessel, having her paddles fitted with whalebone sweeps…to be used at the last quarter of the tides, when by disturbing the foul deposit on the bed of the river by the action of the sweeps, the force of the current would carry it into the deep water'. On 23 March 1850 and 16 January 1851 an Alexander Deane attended meetings of the RIAI as a visitor.
Alexander Deane's pupils and assistants included ROBERT WALKER .
Addresses: 1 Charlotte's Quay, Cork, 1824; King (MacCurtain) Street, 1844; York Terrace, <=1846->=1867.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for, is from the genealogical account of the Deane family in IB 43, 13 Feb 1901, 633-635, which forms the basis of an article in The Cork Historical and Archaeological Society Journal 21 (Oct-Dec 1915), 180-186, from information from Hector Deane, owner of a Deane family tree compiled by Thomas Manly Deane (Aug 2009) and from www.familysearch.org.
See RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, https://archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org/items/show/1906 (last visited, Jan 2017).
Information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Apr 2010.
Cork Examiner, 22 Sep 1844 (information from Roger Herlihy, May 2010) .
See note 1, above.
Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac (1847), 291.
B 9, 28 Jun 1851, 409.
B 13, 20 Oct 1855, 502; according to T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 107, he was also contractor for the Provincial Bank and the lunatic asylum at Cork.
TICEI 3 (1848), 85, list of members.
RIAI ordinary meeting minutes, 23 Mar 1850, 16 Jan 1851.
Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824).
See note 2, above.
Henry & Coghlan's General Directory of Cork (1867).