Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and builder, of Cork. Thomas Deane, eldest son of ALEXANDER DEANE[1]  ALEXANDER DEANE[1] and his wife Elizabeth Sharpe Deane, was born in Cork in 1792. Following the death of his father in 1806, he made a precocious start in his career by helping his formidable mother run the family building business, which carried out large government contracts on Haulbowline Island between 1816 and 1822. He is already listed as an architect in William West's Directory…of Cork for 1809-10, and in 1811 he won his first architectural competition with a design for the Commercial Buildings on the South Mall, Cork, completed in 1813. He exhibited a 'Design for a Gothic Entrance to a Gentleman's Demesne, with Prospect tower attached' at the First Munster Exhibition in Cork in 1815,(no. 21)(1) at the Cork Society for Promoting the Fine Arts in 1816 (no. 58),(2) and later, in 1828 at the Cork Mechanics' Institute.(3) While he developed his career in architecture, sometimes collaborating with his brother KEARNS DEANE KEARNS DEANE , government building contracts remained an important source of income until the mid 1840s, after which he appears to have been in business only as an architect.  Towards the end of 1845 he was appointed architect for the new Queen's College in Cork, and the following year he engaged BENJAMIN WOODWARD  BENJAMIN WOODWARD as his assistant.

Thomas Deane played an important part in the artistic life of Cork. He was involved in the establishment of the Cork Society for the Promotion of the Fine Arts, founded in 1816, and was a collector of works of art, antiquities and geological specimens.(4) In 1847 he presented a memorial for a school of design to the Grand Jury of Cork, which was adopted.(5) He was 'one of the most active members' of the committee responsible for the Cork National Exhibition of the Arts in 1852.(6) In politics he was a Tory, representing the interests of the Protestant mercantile class in Cork. He served on Cork Corporation for many years and was was a city sheriff in 1815 and again in 1830, when he was knighted by the Lord Lieutenant, the Duke of Northumberland, on a visit to the city. He was elected high sheriff in 1852. As O'Dwyer points out, Deane's Tory politics affected the composition of his clientèle; the Whig nobility and gentry of Munster tended to give their patronage to JAMES & JAMES & amp; GEORGE RICHARD PAIN . GEORGE RICHARD PAIN .

In 1851 Deane took his assistant Benjamin Woodward and his son THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE  THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE into partnership. Having done so, he became less involved in the design of buildings, concerning himself instead with the administrative side of the business. The partnership of DEANE SON & DEANE SON & amp; WOODWARD  WOODWARD (properly Sir Thomas Deane, Kt, Son & Woodward) opened an office in Dublin in 1853 on being chosen to design the Museum at Trinity College. Deane, Son, and Woodward first appear in the Dublin directories in 1854, the address being given as 3 Merrion Street Upper and Cork. On the evidence of the directories the firm seems to have given up its Cork office in 1857. While Thomas Newenham Deane and Woodward had both moved to Dublin when the new office opened there in 1853, it was not until 1860 that Thomas Deane himself sold his house in Cork and moved to Dun Laoghaire. In 1863 he was involved in the revival of the RIAI, and in 1866 he was elected president of the RHA. He resigned the RHA presidency in 1868, when he was elected president of the RIAI, but soon afterwards, in February 1869, he resigned both presidency and membership of the RIAI 'on account of advanced age and ill health'.(8) He died aged seventy-nine at his house in Longford Terrace, Monkstown, Co. Dublin, on 2 October 1871, leaving an estate valued at £14,000.

Deane was married three times. His first wife, whom he married in in 1809, when he was only seventeen, was Catherine, daughter of John Conlan (or Connellan) of Cork, by whom he had a daughter Julia and a son, John Connellan Deane; his second wife, whom he married on 13 January 1827 and who died in 1851, was Eliza, second daughter of Robert O'Callaghan Newenham of Cork,(7) by whom he had his son and future partner Thomas Newenham Deane and two daughters, Ada and Olivia; his third wife, whom he married in 1853, was Harriet, daughter of Major John Williams of Belzoon, Co. Meath, by whom he had one son, Herman Frederick Williams Deane.

O'Dwyer describes Deane as ambitious and competitive in his business dealings, an outwardly extroverted and talkative man, but inwardly less confident in himself and more sensitive, than he appeared. His pupils and assistants included JOHN JOSEPH O'CALLAGHAN  JOHN JOSEPH O'CALLAGHAN and WILLIAM STIRLING.& WILLIAM STIRLING.& #160;  He is probably the 'Mr . Deane, Architect, Cork' who is listed as a subscriber to Peter Nicholson's Architectural Dictionary (London, 1819).

ICEI: council member, 1847-1851.(8)
RHA: member, 1860, under new charter; president, 1866-1868.(9)
RIAI:(10) council member, 1842,1843,1850,1851,1855-1861,1865 ; vice-president 1851-1854, 1864,1866, 1867, 1868; president, 1868-1869.(11)
Society of Irish Artists: hon. member, 1845-48.(12)

Addresses: Work: Deane Street, Cork, <=1824(13)->=1846.(14)
Home: Dundanion, Blackrock, Cork, 1823-1860; 9 Gresham Terrace, Dun Laoghaire, 1861-1862; 26 Longford Terrace, Monkstown, 1863 until death.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for, is from Frederick O'Dwyer's definitive account of Deane's life inThe Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997) and from the genealogical account of the Deane family in IB 43, 13 Feb 1901, 633-635 (photograph of Deane on p. 627). The article forms the basis of another in the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society Journal 21 (Oct-Dec 1915), 180-186 (also illustrated with a photograph of Deane). Deane is the subject of an entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and of an entry by Frederick O'Dwayer in DIB. Other biographies are in DB 5, 15 Mar 1863, 49 (illustrated with a portrait of Deane) and B 29, 14 Oct 1871, 804.

(1) RIA Haliday pamphlet 1166/12.
(2) RIA Haliday pamphlet 1094/15.
(3) RIA Haliday 1434/11.
(4) These included two marble capitals from Palmyra and Baalbec, now in the National Museum of Ireland, see IB 40, 1 Nov 1898, ?.
(5) B 5, 3 Apr 1847, 161.
(6) B 10, 22 May 1852, 328.
(7) 1 Feb 1869, 122.
(8) Newenham was an amateur artist of ability and the author of Sketches of Picturesque Views of the Antiquities of Ireland (1830).
(8) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(9) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 624.
(10) Jones transcripts from Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.
(11) RIAI council meeting minutes, 7 Dec 1868, 114, 21 Dec 1868, 117, 1 Feb 1869, 122; IB 13, 1 Dec 1871, 311.
(12) See note 10, above.
(13) Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), 248.
(14) I. Slater's National Commercial Directory of Ireland (1846), 193.


33 work entries listed in chronological order for DEANE, THOMAS (SIR)


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS
Date: 1811-1813
Nature: TD's design for building comprising news room, coffee room, restaurant and some sleeping accommodation, won competition and was carried out. This was his first design, made when he was 19.  Opened 22 Aug 1813. TD presented with piece of plate by Corporation 'in testimony of their approbation of his conduct, in the design, plan, and execution of the work' , 27 Mar 1814 (Tuckey).  (Now part of Imperial Hotel.)
Refs: Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 244,245;  J. Windele, Historical and Descriptive Notices of the City of Cork (1849), ?; DB 5, 15 Mar 1863, 49; APSD, C, 148; Journal of the Cork Historical & Archaeological Society (1943), 84; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 3.5.17,27;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 66-69(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, CORK INSTITUTION
Date: 1816
Nature: TD exhibits 'Prize Drawing for the proposed front of the Cork Institution' at Cork Soc. for Promoting the Fine Arts (109)
Refs: ALEI, I, 179

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, NO. 079 (CORK LIBRARY)
Date: 1816
Nature: Built by TD.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 17,27

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, COMMERCIAL TAVERN & HOTEL (BEHIND COMMERCIAL BLDGS.)
Date: 1816-18
Nature: Addition at rear of Commercial Buildings (with entrance from Pembroke St?). Opened 30 Jun 1818. Now part of Imperial Hotel.
Refs: Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 260; Journal of the Cork Historical & Archaeological Society (1943), 84;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 66-68(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PAUL STREET, ST PAUL'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1818-1823
Nature: 'Mr Deane' paid total of £700 for roof between 1818 and 1823.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WESTERN ROAD, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1818?
Nature: TD said to have submitted design in competition which was drawn by Hogan, who worked as draughtsman in his firm.
Refs: Holly Bough (Cork Examiner, 1959), 41

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, CONVENT AVENUE, CITY GAOL
Date: 1825
Nature: TD contractor for same. Plan by William Robertson, Kilkenny.
Refs: NA/SPO CSORP 1825/11,933 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 5,14,15,111,550n, Fig.1.7

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, OLIVER PLUNKETT STREET, SHOPS & HOUSES
Date: 1828ca
Nature: Blocks of houses with tall, timber-framed shopfronts shopfronts with neo-Grac incised details developed by TD, his mother and Alexander Deane on new street.
Refs: ; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 7-8

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WASHINGTON STREET, COURT HOUSE
Date: 1829-1830
Nature: Thomas Deane & Kearns Deane were competition entrants Shared 1st premium with G.R.Pain and claimed credit for design (see O'Dwyer, Holohan). Paid for furnishing offices, 1836.
Refs: The Constitution, 6 Apr 1830 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); PRO/SPO OP 1837/100 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); model of 'premium design' by TD & Kearns Deane exh. Cork, 1852; IB 5, 15 Mar 1863, says front of building is by Thomas Deane; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 18; Patrick Holohan, 'Cork Courthouse: the Pains, the Deanes, the Stonecutters', JCHAS 111 (2006), 77-106

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MAIN STREET, CHRIST CHURCH OR HOLY TRINITY CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1830
Nature: TD involved in dealing with outbreak of dry rot after alterations of 1828 by G.R. Pain.
Refs: Paper by Deane publ. in TICEI 2 (1847), 72, and reprinted inB 7, 7 Jul 1849, 321

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, ANGLESEA BRIDGE
Date: 1830-31
Nature: Built by TD to designs by Richard Griffith. (Idea first mooted in 1812.)
Refs: S. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 411;  Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837), 243;  Mr & Mrs S.C. Hall, Ireland (1841-3), I,19; APSD II, C, 147 (article on Cork by R.R. Brash)

Building: CO. KERRY, DROMORE CASTLE
Date: 1831-1839
Nature: Castellated. By Thomas and Kearns Deane with Richard Notter, for Rev. Denis Mahony.
Refs: Model (Acc. 95/66) and building accounts (Acc. ?) in IAA; J. Binns,Miseries and Beauties of Ireland(1837), II, 340; J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 175; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 21-22(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, DUNDANION CASTLE
Date: 1832
Nature: Designed by Deane for himself. FS laid by Thomas Newenham Deane, 8 or 9 Mar 1832.
Refs: MS Journal of  Eliza Deane (Lady Deane), 1832, in Cork City and County Archives, IE CCCA/PR27;  Tourists' Illustrated Handbook for Ireland (1854), 78;  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 6-7(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, FATHER MATHEW QUAY, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC, CAPUCHIN)
Date: 1832
Nature: 'Sir Thomas Deane & Co''s plan no. 1 placed 3rd in competition.
Refs: Limerick Chronicle, 15 Aug 1832, cited by David Lee & Debbie Jacobs, James Pain, architect (Limerick Civic Trust, 2005), 195;

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, LAPP'S QUAY (& PARNELL PLACE), CORK SAVINGS BANK
Date: 1835-1842
Nature: With Kearns Deane. Builder: Thomas Fitzgerald. Cost about £11,000.
Refs: Cork Standard, 25 Oct 1839 (reference from Kenneth Severens); tablet on building, 1842; APSD, c, 148; J. Windele, Historical and descriptive notices of the city of Cork (1849), ?; JCHAS (1917), 181; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 112; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 23,25(illus.),26,553n

Building: CO. CORK, PASSAGE WEST, HORSEHEAD
Date: 1836-37
Nature: New Tudor Gothic house, for John Craig, by Thomas & Kearns Deane.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Corm University Press, 1997), 22-24(illus.); Mary Cecilia Lyons, Illustrated Incumbered Estates Ireland, 1850-1905 (1993), 140(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, INFIRMARY ROAD, ST JOHN'S EPISCOPAL FREE CHURCH
Date: 1837a-1840
Nature: New church on site presented by W.H.W. Newenham of Coolmore opened Jul 1840; 'very plain building'. Built with loan of £1,100 from Board of Works. First service held, 12 Jul 1840.
Refs: Cork Constitution, 21 Jun 1838;  8th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1840 ), 22;   J. Windele, Historical and Descriptive Notices of the City of Cork (1849), ?;  JCHAS (1943), 33;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 6-7(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, FRANKFIELD (DOUGLAS), CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1838
Nature: New Gothic church, with Kearns Deane. Opened 1 Jul 1838. Erected and endowed as chapel-of-ease to St Barry's parish 'at the sole expense of Samuel Lane, Esq., of Frankfield, 'who, with a munificence which has but few parallels in the present day, is also engaged in erecting a Parsonage in the Elizabethan style for the use of the Curate' (Limerick Chronicle, quoted in Cork Constitution).
Refs: Cork Constitution, 3 Jul 1838, 28,29 May 1839 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Sep 2011);  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 23,24(illus.);  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 366.

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, DOCKS
Date: 1839
Nature: TD & Co. contractors for works at Limerick docks & quays.
Refs: Cork Constitution,1,20 Jun 1839; Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal 3 (Aug, 1840), 273.

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, GLENTWORTH STREET, SAVINGS BANK
Date: 1839
Nature: Designed by Thomas Deane. Erection superintended by William Henshaw Owen, Board of Works..
Refs: Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 3 (Nov 1840), 379; Judith Hill, The Building of Limerick(1991), 134; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 23-25

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, NO. 032 (BANK OF IRELAND)
Date: 1839-40
Nature: New bank by 'Mssrs. Deane' on site belonging to Thomas Deane and formerly occupied by Harbour Commissioners' office.  Contract signed 1 Jan 1839. Cost £3,500. (Demolished 1962).
Refs: Articles of agreement between Thomas Deane, Kerarns Deane and Richard Notter (Thomas Deane & Co.) and Bank of Ireland for constructiom of new bank, 1 Jan 1839, in IAA, Acc. 81/50.3;  Southern Reporter, 9 Jun 1838 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Oct 2011);   APSD II, C, 148; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 23-24

Building: CO. CORK, MONKSTOWN, SUMMERLAND BUILDINGS
Date: 1841p-1850s
Nature: Row of pseudo-semi-detached houses, begun after 1841 but not completed until 1850s. O'Dwyer makes tentative attribution to Deanes on stylistic grounds (similar windows to those at Horsehead and Dromore Castle).
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 112

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, ESPLANADE & IMPROVEMENTS
Date: 1843-1850
Nature: With Kearns Deane executed design by Decimus Burton, for 5th Vct. Midleton.
Refs: Cork Examiner, 26 Mar 1845.

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Date: 1846-49
Nature: New college. With Kearns Deane. Elizabethan style. U-shaped plan, with high entrance tower. Limestone. Cost £35,000. Opened 7 Nov 1849. Clerk of Works: Daniel O'Callaghan. Contractor: John Butler, Rathmines. Statue of Queen Victoria on gable end of Aula Maxima presented by Sir Thomas Deane and unveiled during Queen's visit to Cork in 1849 (replaced in 1940s by statue of St Finbarr).
Refs: Plans and elevation in 16th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1848), appendix B, 7,8,9 (illus. repr. F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), Pl.37); see also 15th Report (1847), 6, and 17th Report (1849), 25; B 4, 20 Jun 1846, 295; 6, 30 Dec 1848, 630(illus.),631; 7, 17 Nov 1849, 550; DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 297; DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 297; APSD II, C, 147; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 52-86(illus.),287  Paula Murphy, Nineteenth-Century Irish Sculpture: Native Genius Reaffirmed  (Yale University Press: New Haven & London, 2010), 235.

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, ROCK ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1847-1852
Nature: New Gothic asylum for 220 patients. Clerk of Works: Daniel O'Callaghan. Contractors: John Duggan & William Wallace (Limerick)
Refs: 16th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1848), 15; B 10, 3 Apr,18 Sep 1852, 219,589; 14, 9 Feb 1856, 74; APSD, L, 153; 45th Report on District, Criminal and Private Lunatic Asylums (1896), 16; Eve Blau, Ruskinian Gothic (1982), 20-26,27,28,35,55,138,143-5,pls. 20-24; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 89-107(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, CARRIGROHANE CASTLE
Date: 1849-1850ca
Nature: Restoration of ruined castle carried out 'probably under the supervision' of Deane and Woodward. For Augustus Robert McSwiney.
Refs: Bryan A. Cody, The river Lee, Cork, and the Corkonians (1859), 44; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 115-118(illus.)

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ST AUSTIN'S ABBEY
Date: ?
Nature: Proposed plan.
Refs: Ground plan in NLI, MS. 48244

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, PICTURE GALLERY
Date: ?
Nature: Built by TD
Refs: TCD MS. 1206 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PATRICK STREET, CAREY'S LANE, CHAPEL (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Unexecuted designs for Carey's La Chapel.
Refs: Tallaght MSS ('B.J. Russell, O.P., notes') (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, HOUSES
Date: ?
Nature: TD developed a number of sites on S side of street, 'distinguished by classical plaques set into the brickwork of the facades'(O'Dwyer)
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 549n

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH TERRACE, HOUSES
Date: ?
Nature: TD developed part of street (between Deane's La & Anglesea St)
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 549n

Building: CO. CORK, TOUREEN HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Possible attribution to Deanes suggested by O'Dwyer on stylistic grounds.. For Thomas P. Stamers, JP.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 112

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WASHINGTON ST
Date: ?
Nature: 'Handsome line of buildings' designed by TD.
Refs: C.P. Roney, How to spend a month in Ireland [1861], 72

Author Title Date Details
Blau, Eve Ruskinian gothic: the architecture of Deane and Woodward 1845-1861 1982 Princeton University Press, 1982.
Deane, Thomas 'An account of the rapid decay of timber from dry rot in the church of the Holy Trinity at Cork' 1847;1849 TICEI 2, (1847), 72-76. (Reprinted in B 7, 7 Jul 1849, 321;  also published in Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 12 (Oct 1849), 303.)
Deane, Thomas 'Balbec' 1851 B 9, 25 Jan 1851, 60. (Paper read to RIAI, 16 Jan 1851.)
Drew, Thomas 'The late Sir Thomas Deane, RHA' 1899 RIBAJ 7 (1899-1900), 48-49.
O'dwyer, Frederick The Architecture of Deane and Woodward 1997 Cork University Press, 1997.