Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin and Trim, Co. Meath, active during the 1860s, 1870s and 1880s. John P. Davis may possibly have been connected with the 'Mr Davis', contractor of Trim, who built St Mary's College, Mullingar, to designs by JOHN BOURKE  JOHN BOURKE in 1863.(1) During the 1870s he carried out various commissions - mainly for Roman Catholic churches and chapels - in Cos. Cavan, Longford, Meath and Westmeath. In 1867 and 1875 he was living in Dublin but by 1883 he was based in Trim.(2)

AAI: elected member, November 1872.(3)
RIAI: proposed as a student by WILLIAM FRANCIS CALDBECK  WILLIAM FRANCIS CALDBECK and JAMES HIGGINS. OWEN JAMES HIGGINS. OWEN , seconded by CHARLES HENRY BRIEN CHARLES HENRY BRIEN , 9 March 1866;(4) elected 19 April 1866 and admitted 17 May.(5)

Addresses: 29 South Richmond Street, Dublin, 1867;(6) 115 Lower Gardiner Street, 1875.(7)

See WORKS.



References



(1) DB 5, 15 Jun 1863, 101; it may be significant that John P. Davis was responsible for the the offices of the parochial house at Granard, Co. Longford, which Bourke had designed before his death; house and offices were completed in 1872.
(2) IB 25, 15 Jun 1883, 184.
(3) IB 14, 15 Nov 1872, 313.
(5) RIAI council meeting minutes, 9 Mar 1866, 51.
(5) RIAI ordinary general meeting minutes, 19 Apr 1866, 184, 17 May 1866, 185.
(6) RIAI membership list, for session 1867-68.
(7) Drogheda Argus, 12,19 Jun 1875; according to the Post Office Dublin Directory for 1875, this was a boarding house run by a Mrs Lawless.


12 work entries listed in chronological order for DAVIS, JOHN P.


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. WESTMEATH, CORALSTOWN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1870
Nature: New church. Cost: £2,000. Builder: F. Nulty, Mullingar. Possibly 'ghosted' by T. Hevey.
Refs: IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 194(illus.); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 369; Sean O'Reilly, 'Timothy Hevey (1846-1878): an episode in Irish High Victorian architecture', Ph.D. thesis, submitted to the National University of Ireland, June 1994, 246

Building: CO. LONGFORD, GRANARD, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1872
Nature: Offices designed by JPD, house by John Bourke, for Very Rev. E. McGaver, PP.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jan 1873, 15

Building: CO. MEATH, KILBEG, NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1872-73
Nature: New school, built by subscription. For Rev. Simon Duigenan, PP.  Tenders invited Aug 1871, Jan 1872. Opened 29 Sep 1873.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 18 Aug 1871,29 Feb 1872; Drogheda Argus, 20 Jan 1872; Rev. J. Brady, Short History of the Parishes of the diocese of Meath 1867-1944, 146

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, HOUSE & PREMISES (JAMES O'FERRALL)
Date: 1873
Nature: Extensive alts. & imps.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jan,1 Oct 1873, 15,263(illus.)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1873
Nature: Chapel.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jan 1873, 6(illus.)

Building: CO. CAVAN, MOUNT NUGENT, BALLINACREE CHAPEL
Date: 1873
Nature: New chancel, sacristy & improvements.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jan 1873, 15

Building: CO. MEATH, BETTYSTOWN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1874
Nature: Proposed new church.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Jun 1874, 155(illus.)

Building: CO. MEATH, JOHNSTOWN, PAROCHIAL HOUSE?
Date: 1875
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting stable and offices, for Rev. Edward Horan, PP.
Refs: Drogheda Argus, 19 Jun 1875

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, CARROLLSTOWN HOUSE
Date: 1883
Nature: Completed by June 1883, for P.J. Dunne, JP. Builder: A. Hammond.
Refs: IB 25, 15 Jun 1883, 184(illus.)

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, PATRICK STREET, UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Nuns' residence, in Kingscourt brick, recently completed.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Nov 1885, 294

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, CASTLE STREET, PREMISES (MICHAEL GILSENAN)
Date: 1885
Nature: Alterations & improvements. Masonry by Charles Duigenan. Carpentry by Andrew Gogerty.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Nov 1885, 300

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, HOUSE
Date: 1885
Nature: Residence of F.J. O'Reilly recently completed.
Refs: IB 27, 1 Nov 1885, 294(illus.)