Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Merchants Road, Galway, listed as such in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824), 206. Cusack appears to have been active in Galway from circa 1816 until the late 1840s. His buildings in Galway include the Pro-Cathedral (1816-21), the Bank of Ireland (1831), the Presbyterian Church (1833-5) and the remodelling of the Franciscan Church (1848).

See WORKS.




4 work entries listed in chronological order for CUSACK, JAMES


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, MIDDLE STREET, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF ST NICHOLAS (RC)
Date: 1816-1821
Nature: On site of previous chapel. 'Mr Cusack' architect.
Refs: The Mantle ? (1962), 8(illus.).

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, EYRE SQUARE, BANK OF IRELAND
Date: 1831
Nature: Cusack's proposal for building bank approved.
Refs: E.McP files, citing Bank of Ireland minutes.

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, NUN'S ISLAND STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1833-35
Nature: Designed by JC.
Refs: Information from Maureen Doddy, Ballycleary, Kinvara, Co. Galway, who is doing thesis on the church for MUBC degree, UCD;  illlus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 244.


Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, FRANCIS STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1848
Nature: Portico and ?remodelling of existing church of 1781 (see Hardiman, History of Galway (1820), 264).
Refs: E.McP files, citing 'datestone III/48'; William Garner, Galway Architectural Heritage (An Foras Forbatha, 1985), 6(illus.),7 (gives date as 1849);  Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000), 78-79(illus.).