Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dun Laoghaire and Dublin. Harold Coyle, who, according to the Dublin census of 1911, was born in Co. Dublin in 1882 or1883, appears to have been a pupil or assistant of Sir THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW . In 1911, when he supervised the execution of the brass memorial tablet to Drew in Christ Church Cathedral,(1) he was working from 22 Clare Street, Dublin, the address of Drew's office. According to the RIAI membership lists, he moved to England circa 1925, though his name, with his Dun Laoghaire address, continues to appear in Thom's directories until at least 1939. He exhibited three drawings by Drew at the Royal Scottish Academy in 1940.(2)

AAI: elected member, 1903; no longer a member after 1913.
RIAI: elected member, 6 November 1919;(3) resigned 1929; re-elected, May 1940;(4) no longer a member by 1946.

Addresses: 1 Knapton Road, Dun Laoghaire, 1903-10; 22 Clare Street, 1911-12; Hillside, Gleanageary, 1913; Fintragh, Knapton Road, Dun Laoghaire, 1915->=24; Kaylines, South Street, Whitstable, Kent, 1926; c/o DORE, Catlink (Catterick?) Camp, Richmond, Yorks, 1927-1928; Kaylynes, Virginia Road, Rayham, Whitstable, Kent; 48 Roseford Road, Cambridge, 1941.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from AAI and RIAI membership lists and from Thom's Directories.

(1) Building News 100, 19 May 1911, 697.
(2) JRIAI (1941), 4.
(2) Nos. 426,463,467.
(3) IB 61, 22 Nov 1919, 536.
(4) See note 2, above.