- Born: - Died: -
Architect, of Cork, active from the 1820s until the 1860s. Charles Cottrell, also spelt Cotterel and Cotterell, may perhaps have been the son of Edward Francis Cottrell, architect of Hanover Street, Cork, who appears to have married a Miss Colthurst, daughter of Wallace Colthurst, in 1793.(1) He is listed as a builder or architect at Wandesford Bridge in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824) and as an architect in the Cork Constitution, 9 June 1831,(2) in the Cork County and City Post Office Directory for 1842-3, in Slater's National Commercial Directory of Ireland (1846) and in Laing's Cork Mercantile Directory for 1863. At the Cork Society for Promoting the Fine Arts in 1816 and 1817, he exhibited various architectural and other works, including a design for a steeple for Christ Church, Cork.(3) He was the architect of the Franciscan church in Grattan Street, Cork (1830) and St Mary's Catholic church in Buttevant, Co. Cork (1832-35).(4)
Addresses: Wandesford Bridge, 1824; Hanover Street, 1831ca; 1 Blackrock Road, 1846.
(1) James O'Brien, St Mary's Church, Buttevant, Co. Cork: notes on its building history 1828-1886 (2011), 29, n.56. (Copy in IAA).
(2) Reference from Kenneth Severens.
(3) See RIA, Haliday pamphlets, 1094/16.
(4) See note 1 above.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for COTTRELL, CHARLES
|Building:||CO. CORK, CORK, GRATTAN STREET, FRANCISCAN CHURCH|
|Nature:||Rebuilt by CC. Italianate with peristyle of 8 Ionic columns. Limestone. Cost £4,500.|
|Refs:||JJ. Windele, Historical and Descriptive Notices of the City of Cork (1849), 65; APSD 2, C, 147.|
|Building:||CO. CORK, BUTTEVANT, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)|
|Nature:||New Perpendicular Gothic church incorporating earlier watch tower belonging to abbey. For Rev. Cornelius Buckley, PP.. FS laid 1831, completed by Christmas 1835 and consecrated 6 Oct 1836. Grant of £600 from Board of Works. Described in detail by Lewis who considered it a 'very handsome structure'.
Southern Reporter, 27 Sep,9 Oct 1836; 4th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1836), 11; S. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 236; Catholic Directory (1837), ?; Richard Rolt Brash, 'The local antiquites of Buttevant', Transactions of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society 2 (1852-53), 95 (information from Mgr James O'Brien, Buttevant, Aug 2010); MS synopsis of Buttevant parochial records by Rev. Cornelius Buckley, p.23 (information from Mgr James O'Brien, Buttevant, who has photocopy of same, Aug 2010); James O'Brien, St Mary's Church, Buttevant, Co. Cork: notes on its building history 1828-1886 (2011) (Copy in IAA).