Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Civil engineer and architect, of Limerick. William Corbett, son of Patrick Corbett, was born in Limerick on 19 April 1824. He was architect and borough surveyor of Limerick City from 1854 until 1899, when he was succeeded by JOSEPH J. PEACOCKE. JOSEPH J. PEACOCKE. (1)  At the time of the 1901 census he was a widower, living with three unmarried daughters at 39 Ennis Road, Limerick. He died at Willmount, Limerick, on 1 February 1904 at the age of seventy-nine(2) and was buried at Mount Saint Lawrence cemetery, Limerick.(3)

RIAI: proposed for membership by GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON , 13 Nov 1878, seconded by ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY  ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY and JAMES HIGGINS OWEN JAMES HIGGINS OWEN ; elected 28 Nov 1878.(4)

Addresses: Patrick Street, Limerick, 1856;(5) Glentworth St, Limerick, 1863;(6) 27 Glentworth St, Limerick, 1867(7)-1898;(8)   Wilmount, Lansdowne Road, Limerick, 1901-1904.(10)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the brief obituary of Corbett in IB 46, 13 Feb 1904, 78.   See also the entry by Helen Andrews in Dictionary of Irish Biography, ed. by James McGuire and James Quinn, 9 vols. (Cambridge University Press, 2009), 846.  A portrait of him by an unidentified artist is in the council chamber of Limerick Corporation. A portrait by the miniaturist Mona M. Hanrahan was exhibited at the Munster-Connacht exhibition in 1906 (IALE, I, 302).

(1) Limerick Chronicle, 2 Feb 1904;  according to his obituary in the Irish Builder, he was living on the North Circular Road, Dublin, 'for some time prior to his death', but this is probably a mistake for North Circular Road, Limerick; if correct, Corbett appears either to have retained or to have returned to a residence in Limerick.
(2) Death certificate in General Record Office, Dublin, and Irish Times, 3 Feb 1904 (information from Helen Andrews).
(3) Information from Helen Andrews.
(4) RIAI Council meeting minutes, 13 Nov 1878, 213 (or 214?).
(5) Slater's Directory for 1856 (information extracted from Limerick City directories by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library).
(6) Thom's Directory, 1863.
(7) Henry & Coghlan's General Directory of Cork for 1867, with which is incorporated Wynne & Co's Business Directory of the Principal towns in…Munster (information extracted from Limerick City directories by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library).
(8) See note 3, above, and RIAI list of members, 1898.
(9) RIAI lists of members, 1901-1904.


18 work entries listed in chronological order for CORBETT, WILLIAM EDWARD


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LIMERICK, BALLYCORRICK, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: New church being built. Site and £50 presented by Tomas Rice Henn, a Protestant.
Refs: B 16, 19 Apr 1858, 250

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET UPPER, CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS (RC, REDEMPTORIST)
Date: 1858-1862
Nature: Building of church designed by P.C. Hardwick supervised by Corbett. Builder: Wallace.
Refs: Maurice Lenihan, Limerick, its history and antiquities (1866), 676.

Building: CO. LIMERICK, MONEYGAY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: New marble altar. Contractor: Mr Kirwan, Bolton St.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Sep 1861, 637

Building: CO. LIMERICK, CASTLECONNELL, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1863
Nature: New Gothic church (nave, chancel transepts), replacing church of 1800.  Dedicated, 9 Aug 1863. Designed & built by 'Mr Ryan of Limerick, builder', superintended by Mr Corbett. Lenihan says des. by Corbett & built by Lancelot Ryan, Newport, Tip, for Rev. Patrick Hennessy, PP. Roof of varnished pine. Windows edged with coloured borders.
Refs: Limerick Reporter and Tipperary Vindicator 11 Aug 1863; DB 5, 15 Aug 1863, 141; Maurice Lenihan, Limerick, its history and antiquities (1866), 728; North Munster Archaeological Journal (1948), ?

Building: CO. LIMERICK, ADARE MANOR
Date: 1864
Nature: Erection of P.C. Hardwick's design for stables supervised by Corbett. For 3rd Earl of Dunraven.
Refs: DB 6, 15 Nov 1864, 237

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BAKER'S PLACE, CLOCK TOWER (TAIT MEMORIAL)
Date: 1866
Nature: Winner of 1st prize in competition. Being erected as testimonial to Alderman Peter Tait, present mayor. Height 65 feet. Builder: John Connolly. Cost: £750.
Refs: B 24, 8 Apr 1866, 311; DB 8, 15 Feb 1866, 53; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 753

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, ST AUGUSTINE PLACE, CITY GAOL
Date: 1866-68
Nature: Extensive alts. and adds. with a view to converting it to the separate system. Builder: Clayton. Cost: £5,300.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Feb 1866, 53; IB 10, 1 May 1868, 116

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CRESCENT, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1867
Nature: Charles Lanyon & J. McCurdy chosen as arbitrators, Sir John Benson umpire, in arbitration case re failure of roof of new Jesuit church of St Aloysius(?). Builder: Ryan & Son.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Mar 1867, 69

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, DOCKS
Date: 1867-1873
Nature: New graving dock formed of solid limestone rock, 480 x 60 ft. City engineer 'to prepare plans immediately', 1867. Inaugurated by Earl and Countess Spencer, May 1873. Cost c. £20,000.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Feb 1867, 51; B 25, 24 May 1873, 411

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, WILLIAM STREET UPPER, STORES & PREMISES
Date: 1868
Nature: Extensive adds. Contractor: James Flynn. For Alderman Lawrence Quinlivan, JP.
Refs: IB 10, 1 May 1868, 116

Building: CO. CLARE, CLONLARA, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1871
Nature: Addition of square tower & sacristy by 'E. Corbet, CE'
Refs: IB 13, 15 Nov 1871, 303.

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HENRY STREET, CHURCH OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC, FRANCISCAN)
Date: 1876-1886
Nature: New church designed by W.E.C. Tenders invited, Apr 1875.  FS laid 28 May 1876.   Bulding begun, 1879.  Builders: McCarthy & Guerin. Corinthian portico and most of nave erected, but church not completed until 1886.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 15,16,19 Apr 1875;  North Munster Antiquarian Journal (1957), 1 (gives date as 1876); M. Craig & Knight of Glin, Ireland Observed(1970), 78 (gives date as 1879);  Limerick Diocesan History Project, http://www.limerickdioceseheritage.org/Franciscans/textFranciscans.htm (last visited, Apr 2012).

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, HOUSES
Date: 1897
Nature: Workmen's dwellings to be erected in old prt of the city at cost of £10,000. Funds being party raised by Lord Iveagh, J.F. Bannatyne and Alex. W. Shaw.
Refs: IB 39, 15 Sep 1897, 177

Building: CO. LIMERICK, BALLYBROWN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1898
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Rev. R. Kirby, PP.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Apr 1898, 56

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, RUTLAND STREET, TOWN HALL
Date: 1898
Nature: Offices. Builder: P. Molloy.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Aug 1898, 119

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, O'CONNELL AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1900-04
Nature: New transept about to be started. Façade and tower to be added. Builder: John Ryan & Son. Church opened 1904.
Refs: IB 42, 1 Jul 1900, 403; IAA, PKS 20/02; C.M. Murphy, Limerick City - an architectural guide (Limerick, 1986), ? (information from Helen Andrews)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CRESCENT, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART & COLLEGE (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Unfinished in 1897. Designed by C. Geoghegan, supervised by WEC.
Refs: Crescent College Journal, 1897, ? (ref given to S. O'Reilly by Denis Leonard, Limerick Civic Trust; photocopy of front elevation in IAA, Jones Index, file G21).

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, TREATY STONE
Date: ?
Nature: Pedestal designed by WC.
Refs: Old Limerick Journal, ?, 28