Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of London and Dublin. Thomas Cooley, a son of William Cooley, master mason, of London, and his wife Mary, was baptised in the church of St Katherine Coleman, London, on 11 July 1742.(1) On 3 August 1756 he was apprenticed to a carpenter named George Wright. If the account of his life which appeared in Anthologia Hibernica in 1793 is correct, he also served part of his apprenticeship with, or worked for, another London carpenter named Reynolds, and then became clerk to William Greenell, master joiner in the Office of Works.(2) According to the article in Anthologia Hibernica, all his spare time was devoted to the study of architecture; he must have been still in his teens when he entered a design for a Temple of Victory in a competition for a premium awarded by the Society for the Encouragement of Arts and Manufactures to persons under the age of twenty. He subsequently competed for Society of Arts premiums for persons under the age of thirty, winning third prize in 1763 for a London town house design and second prize in 1764 and 1765 for a country house design and a design for a street in the Greek or Roman style respectively.(3) He exhibited six designs at the Free Society of Artists between 1765 and 1768.(4)

On 11 June 1764 Cooley was taken on by ROBERT MYLNE  ROBERT MYLNE as his clerk,(5) and it was with Mylne's active support, that he entered and won the Royal Exchange competition of 1768-9. On winning the competition he came to Ireland, where he remained for the rest of his life. When JAMES GANDON  JAMES GANDON arrived in Ireland in 1781, he considered that Cooley and THOMAS IVORY  THOMAS IVORY were the only two architects 'properly so called' in Dublin.(6) In 1775 Cooley succeeded JOSEPH JARRATT  JOSEPH JARRATT as Clerk and Inspector of Civil Buildings at the Barrack Board, a post which he held until his death.(7) He enjoyed the patronage of Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, who employed him as his architect in his building projects in the city and diocese of Armagh; other ecclesiastical clients were Robert Fowler, Bishop of Killaloe, Henry Maxwell, Bishop of Meath, Charles Agar, Bishop of Cashel(8) and George Lewis Jones, Bishop of Kilmore.(9) It was Archbishop Robinson who sent FRANCIS JOHNSTON  FRANCIS JOHNSTON to work in Cooley's office circa 1778; Johnston remained with Cooley until the latter's death and succeeded him as the Primate's architect.(10) Cooley was also assisted by ROBERT PARKE ROBERT PARKE , who acted as his clerk of works for the Public Offices on Inns Quay.(11) Perhaps some of these dignitaries were supplied by Cooley with the patent water closets which he ordered from Joseph Bramah in London and advertised in Faulkner's Dublin Journal in June 1781.(12)

Cooley is said to have 'supported an unimpeached character for integrity' but was also charged with superciliousness.(13) He died of a 'bilious fever' in Anglesea Street, Dublin, in March 1784,(14) leaving a son, William, and a daughter, his wife having predeceased him in 1779.(15) His 'valuable collection of Books, Drawings and Prints in Portfolios, Antique Medals in Gold and Copper, with an improved Camera Obscura' and other items were sold at auction in April 1784.(16) William Cooley married Emily, daughter of his father's executor, the sculptor RICHARD CRANFIELD RICHARD CRANFIELD ;(17) their son Thomas Cooley, ARHA (1795-1872) was a portrait painter in Dublin.

There are drawings by Cooley in Armagh Public Library, the National Library of Ireland and the Irish Architectural Archive (for other locations see list of WORKS). The most interesting piece of Cooley documentation to survive is the sketchbook in the collection of the Earl of Caledon, which contains ideas for the Public Offices, details of Ardbraccan and of a house for a Dr Caulfield, as well as sketches of 'A Casine by W. Chambers Esq', cartouches, urns, ceilings, and plans and elevations of various buildings including a school and a suite of state apartments.(18) Cooley was a subscriber to George Richardson's Book of Ceilings (1776).

Address: 15 Anglesea Street at time of death.(19)

See WORKS.



References

All information about Cooley's early life and English career is from Ruth Thorpe, 'Thomas Cooley before the Dublin Royal Exchange', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 71-85; this supersedes the biography of Cooley in Anthologia Hibernica July 1793, 35-6, which has been the source for various 19th century biographies (Warburton, Whitelaw & Walsh, History of the City of Dublin (1818), 522-3; DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 114; B 27, 5 Jun 1869, 449 (by Christopher Clinton Hoey); IB 13, 15 Jul 1871, 182; APSD 2, C, 139; Oxford DNB). A relatively recent account of Cooley's life and work is in Dr. E. McParland's unpublished Ph.D. thesis, 'The public work of architects in Ireland during the Neo-Classical period'(1975), copies of which are in Cambridge University Library and the Department of the History of Art, Trinity College, Dublin. There is also an entry on Cooley by Helen Andrews in Dictionary of Irish Biography, ed. by James McGuire and James Quinn, 9 vols. (Cambridge University Press, 2009), II, 816-7. 

(1) Baptismal registers of St Katherine Coleman, Guildhall Library, London.
(2) Thorpe, op. cit., above, 73, gives further details about Greenell and his work in the early 1760s.
(3) Information from Susan Bennett, archivist, Royal Society of Arts.
(4) Algernon Graves, A Dictionary of artists (1901), 62.
(5) A.E Richardson's transcript of Mylne's diaries in his Robert Mylne (1955) has the following entries: June 11 1764, 'Took Mr Casley [sic] as a clerk at £40 per annum with breakfast and lodgings'(p.63); 1 Jan 1765, 'Sent Cooley to attend Marquis of Lorn on ground for stables'(p.66); 17 Feb 1765, 'Commenced housekeeping. Mr. Cooley at 30 guineas per a.; bed, board & washing'(p.67). Confusingly a Thomas Cooley is recorded as entering the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture in October 1765.
(6) E. McParland, James Gandon: Vitruvius Hibernicus (1985), 33.
(7) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(8) Cooley designed the Deanery at Emly, and there are two designs by him for glebe houses among the Normanton papers in the Hampshire Record Office.
(9) Cooley's sketchbook in the collection of the Earl of Caledon contains rough details of the stair, bookroom and dining room for a Dr Caulfield; the inscriptions 'Dr Caulfield' and 'Bishop of Kilmore' suggest that this may have been work ordered for the house of Dr John Caulfield, Archdeacon of Kilmore from 1776 to 1816, by George Lewis Jones, Bishop of Kilmore.
(10) E.McParland, 'Francis Johnston, architect, 1760-1829', BIGS 12, no. 1 (Jan-Mar 1969), 63.
(11) JHCI 9, lxv (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(12) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 14-16 Jun 1781.
(13) Freeman's Journal, 5-7 Jan 1773.
(14) A notice of his death 'Early on Sunday morning' appeared in Faulkner's Dublin Journal for 20-27 Mar 1784. He is described as being in his forty-fourth year, which seems unlikely in view of the date of his christening.
(15) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 21-23 Jan 1779.
(16) Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 24-27 Apr 1784.
(17) For Cranfield, see Strickland.
(18) The sketchbook has been photographed by IAA.
(19) See note 13, above.


51 work entries listed in chronological order for COOLEY, THOMAS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CORK HILL, ROYAL EXCHANGE
Date: 1768-1778
Nature: TC's design came first in competition of 1768-1769 and was executed. Awarded prize of £100.
Refs: Client's and working drawings in IAA, Murray Collection nos. 357-374 (see Murray Collection catalogue, pp. 134-138); MS letter from Cooley to Sir William Chambers, Dublin, 22 Aug 1869, on behalf of Royal Exchange trustees, requesting incormation on prices currently being paid to masons employed on public buildings in London in British Architectural Library manuscripts collection, CHA.2/26;  James Malton, A Picturesque and descriptive view of the city of Dublin (1799), unpaginated;   IB 9, 1 Feb 1867, 27; B 27, 2,9 Oct 1869, 781,803; 28, 12 Mar 1870, 210; E. McParland, 'James Gandon and the Royal Exchange Competition, 1768-69', in JRSAI 102 (1972), 58-72;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 361-3. 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1769
Nature: TC makes survey of condition of cathedral
Refs: Marsh's Library, Chapter Book 1764-1792, 31,38v (ref. given to E. McParland by Muriel McCarthy)

Building: CO. MEATH, HEADFORT
Date: 1769-1771
Nature: TC may have acted as overseer of building designed by George Semple
Refs: Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 315

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PALACE DEMESNE, ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE
Date: 1770
Nature: Remodelling and/or enlargement of existing structure. (Top storey and porch added later.)
Refs: R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 171-173; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 134-135.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, NORTH QUEEN STREET, CLIFTON HOUSE (BELFAST CHARITABLE SOCIETY)
Date: 1770
Nature: TC supplied plans (unexecuted) and consulted re choice of design.
Refs: P. & B. Rowan Antiquarian and Fine Books, Catalogue 31, The Eighteenth Century, No. 26, gives a full account of the selection of a design for the Poor House, citing Committee Books of the Belfast Charitable Society (microfilm in PRONI) and R.M.W. Strain, Belfast and its Charitable Society(1961).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SIR JOHN ROGERSON'S QUAY, HIBERNIAN MARINE SCHOOL
Date: 1770-1773
Nature: Attributed to TC.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 114; Maurice Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (revised edition, 1992), 197;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 459.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PALACE DEMESNE, FARM
Date: 1770ca
Nature: For Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh.  Mulligan suggests attribution to Francis Johnston and suggests date between 1790 and 1804.
Refs: R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 176; Desmond Fitzgerald & Roger Weatherup, The Way we were (1993), 24(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 136-7.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ROYAL HIBERNIAN MILITARY SCHOOL
Date: 1771
Nature: Chapel designed by TC, who 'may also have designed the hospital [ie. the school]' (Casey).
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, nos. 714-715;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 302,303. 

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, ABBEY STREET, PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1771a
Nature: New library, opened 1771.. For Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh who bequeathed to it his private collection of books and engravings, and a revenue of £339 a year
Refs: Drawing(s) in Armagh Public Library; Bassett's Guide to Co. Armagh (1888), 86; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 38-40;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 107-9, Pl..70.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CAMLOUGH, CHURCH (CI, OLD)
Date: 1772
Nature: 'Ruined hall and tower, built in 1772 to one of thomas Cooley's 'standard' designs for Archbishop Robinson.' Replaced by new church in Bessbrook in 1868.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 204.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LISNADILL, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1772
Nature: 'The church is a spacious edifice in the later English style, with a square embattled tower erected ny Primate Robinson in 1772, and has the arms of the founder over the entrance.'(Lewis).  'Probably the best-preserved of Cooley's 'standard designs' for Archbishop Robinson...almost exactly as in Cooley's "Design No. 9"...'(Mulligan).
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 286;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 409-10;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 127.

Building: CO. MEATH, ARDBRACCAN
Date: 1772-1775
Nature: TC and Rev. Daniel Beaufort involved in design, James Wyatt having provided preliminary design in 1773
Refs: Drawings (formerly in Farnham Collection, NLI) in collection of David Maher, Ardbraccan (see The Architecture of Ireland in Drawings and Paintings, (NGI, 1975), nos. 11,12); details of vestibule and study in Cooley sketchbook in collection of Earl of Caledon; Architecture in Ireland (Catalogue, 1975), nos. 4,5,11,12; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 113-114

Building: CO. ARMAGH, GRANGE (LOUGHGALL), CHURCH OF ST AIDAN (CI)
Date: 1773
Nature: New church, for Primate Robinson, following Cooley's 'Design No. 10'.
Refs: Edward Rogers, Topographical Sketches of Armagh & Tyrone (1874), 12;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 524;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 128.
 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GREEN STREET, NEWGATE PRISON
Date: 1773-1781
Nature: Designed by TC.
Refs: Plan in PP 1819(195)XII.489 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Faulkner's Dublin Journal, 18-21 Sep 1773; Pettigrew & Oulton's Directory 1843 (cited by Jones); DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 114; Maurice Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (revised edition, 1992), 197

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, COLLEGE HILL, ROYAL SCHOOL
Date: 1774
Nature: New school buildings erected at cost of £5,078 (£3,000 given byRichard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh, and £2,078, by Arthur Grueber, headmaster)
Refs: APSD, A, 98-99; James Stuart, Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh (Newry, 1819), ?; Edward Rogers, Topographical Sketches of Armagh & Tyrone (1874), 5; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 83-5; Desmond Fitzgerald & Roger Weatherup, The Way we were (1993), 36(illus.)

Building: CO. CLARE, KILLALOE, BISHOP'S PALACE (CLARISFORD HOUSE)
Date: 1774
Nature: Designs, for Robert Fowler, Bishop of Killaloe
Refs: Set of 3 plans for house, one s. & d. T. Cooley, 1774, another inscr. 'lst Design for Bishop of Killaloe', in NLI, A.D. 1840-1842; NLI MS. 14,123 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, NEWTOWNHAMILTON, CHURCH (CI, OLD)
Date: 1775
Nature: 3-bay hall and tower church, 'built to one of Thomas Cooley's 'standard' designs  for the parish newly formed here in 1773' (Mulligan). (In ruins.)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), ii, 439;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 409-10.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ACTON (POYNTZPASS)
Date: 1775
Nature: Neo-classical villa for Alexander Stewart.  Attribution to Cooley suggested by Mulligan.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 514, Pl.45.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD SOUTH (KILMAINHAM), ROYAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1775-1777
Nature: Works at same.
Refs: JHCI 9, cccclxxxvii; report on repairs, dated 5 Mar 1777, in Royal Hospital Records, NA/PRO, cited in Costello, Muray & Beaumont, An Introduction to the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham (1987), 22.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, ERASMUS SMITH SCHOOL
Date: 1776
Nature: Plans and elevations for, by TC
Refs: Signed plans & elevation, dated 1776, in Erasmus Smith Schools archive, Danum, Zion Rd, Rathgar, Dublin

Building: CO. WEXFORD, BUNCLODY, CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI, NEWTOWNBARRY PARISH)
Date: 1776
Nature: Designed by TC for Robert Maxwell, 1st Earl of Farnham.
Refs: Portfolio of 13 drawings, 2 s. & d. 1776, in Farnham Collection (sold at auction by HOK Fine Art, 17 Jun 2004, Lot. 280);  exterior illus. in Clergy of Waterford, Lismore and Ferns (Ulster Historical Foundation, 2008), 434.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)
Date: 1776
Nature: 'A three-bay hall of 1776 to one of Thomas Cooley's 'standard' designs for Primate Robinson.'(Mulligan)
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 365.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1776-1784
Nature: North and west ranges of west courtyard (designed as public offices, rather than court house); design taken over by Gandon on TC's death.
Refs: Signed drawings in IAA (on loan from King's Inns Library), Acc. 2007/10.2/1,3,5,7; sketch proposals in Cooley notebook belonging to Earl of Caledon;  James Malton, A Picturesque and descriptive view of the city of Dublin (1799), unpaginated;  C.P. Curran, 'Cooley, Gandon and the Four Courts', JRSAI 79 (1949), 20-25; E. McParland, 'The early history of James Gandon's Four Courts', Burlington Magazine 122 (Nov 1980), 727-735; E. McParland, James Gandon (1985), 149-154;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 93-94,96.

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, CHURCH OF ST COLMCILLE (CI)
Date: 1778
Nature: Proposed design. Spire added to mediaeval belfry tower. (Attribution of gateway to TC possibly implied by Casey & Rowan.)
Refs: 8 signed or initialled designs, 3 dated Jun 1778, in IAA, Guinness Collection, Acc.96/068.3/4/1-8; building accounts in NLI, MS 25304 (E.McP files); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 315,334; exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 316.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BOW LANE, ST PATRICK'S HOSPITAL
Date: 1778
Nature: TC extended ranges behind main front and added 1 storey wings to main front
Refs: Drawings in St Patrick's Hospital archives, F/5; Maurice Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (revised edition, 1992), 197; Maurice Craig (ed.) The Legacy of Swift: a bi-centenary record of St Patrick's Hospital, Dublin (1948), 36-37, Pl. VII.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, EGLISH, GLEBE HOUSE (NOW EDENDERRY HOUSE)
Date: 1778?
Nature: Built by Primate Robinson. Tentative attribution to TC by C. Brett.
Refs: Letter from C.E.B. Brett to AMR, 8 Jul 1997 but not mentioned in his Buildings of County Armagh (UAHS, 1999), 125(illus.)

Building: CO. TYRONE, CALEDON HOUSE
Date: 1779
Nature: Original 2-storey villa on half basement by TC (apparently as executant architect for design by James Wyatt). For James Alexander, later 1st Viscount Caledon.
Refs: Drawing, signed and dated 1779, in house; working floor plans in NLI AD 3417-18; Christopher Hussey, 'Caledon - Co. Tyrone', Country Life 81, 27 Feb,6 Mar 1937, 224,250;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 161-2;  John Martin Robinson, James Wyatt: architect to George III (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2012),116.

Building: CO. MEATH, HEADFORT
Date: 1779
Nature: Executed design for bridge in park
Refs: Drawing s. & d. May 1779 in IAA, Guinness Collection, Acc. 96/068.3/3/5; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 315,317

Building: CO. TYRONE, CALEDON HOUSE
Date: 1779ca
Nature: Stables attr. to TC by Rowan. For James Alexander, later 1st Viscount Caledon.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 163

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PALACE DEMESNE, GATES
Date: 1780
Nature: Re-erected in Cathedral Close as gates to See House in 1963
Refs: Signed, undated drawing in NLI A.D.2598; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 67.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, GAOL SQUARE, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1780
Nature: 9-bay main block (5 bays added to N. end in 1819).
Refs: R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 141;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 123-4.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, SEE HOUSE
Date: 1780
Nature: Gates.
Refs: R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992),67

Building: CO. DOWN, DONAGHADEE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1780ca
Nature: Proposal by TC to add 2 storeys to tower. Design later adapted by Daniel De Lacherois.
Refs: Drawing in De Lacherois papers?; Hugh Dixon, Kenneth Kenmuir , Jill Kennett, Historic Buildings…in Donaghadee and Portpatrick (UAHS, 1977), 10,11(illus.).

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PALACE DEMESNE, PRIMATE'S CHAPEL
Date: 1781
Nature: Begun by TC and finished by Francis Johnston
Refs: Drawing in NLI, AD 3468; drawings in IAA, Murray Collection nos. 2-3. See Murray Collection Catalogue, 42; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup, P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 173;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 135-6.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BELLEVUE (DELGANY)
Date: 1781a
Nature: Angell describes house of John[sic] Latouche at Delgany as 'elegant stone house, designed and executed by Mr Cooly'
Refs: John Angell, A General history of Ireland  (1781), II, 5 (but cf.John Ferrar, A view of ancient and modern Dublin, with its improvements to the year 1796. To which is added A tour to Bellevue, in the county of Wicklow, the seat of Peter la Touche, Esq.  (Dublin, 1796), 98, which gives date of house as 1754 and says that wings were added by Peter La Touche, i.e. post 1785?.)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, DELGANY, HOUSE
Date: 1781a
Nature: For John La Touche
Refs: J. Angel, General History of Ireland (1781), II, 5

Building: CO. WICKLOW, MOUNT KENNEDY (NEWTOWNMOUNTKENNEDY)
Date: 1782
Nature: Execution with modifications of design by James Wyatt of 1772.  For General Robert Cuninghame.
Refs: Elevations in IAA, Murray Collection nos. 952-955, and plans in NLI, A.D. 1904,1905, see Murray Collection Catalogue, 286-287; drawings in NLI, Gun Cuninghame Collection, AD 3568;  G.N. Wright, Guide to Co. Wicklow (1822), 47; Drawings from the Irish Architectural Archive (1993), 37(illus.)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, MOUNT KENNEDY (NEWTOWNMOUNTKENNEDY)
Date: 1782
Nature: Execution with modifications of design by James Wyatt of 1772.  For General Robert Cuninghame.
Refs: Elevations in IAA, Murray Collection nos. 952-955, and plans in NLI, A.D. 1904,1905, see Murray Collection Catalogue, 286-287; drawings in NLI, Gun Cuninghame Collection, AD 3568;  G.N. Wright, Guide to Co. Wicklow (1822), 47; Drawings from the Irish Architectural Archive (1993), 37(illus.)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1782-3
Nature: 2-stage tower over crossing begun but taken down; new tower erected by Francis Johnston after TC's death.
Refs: Drawing in IAA, Murray Collection, no. 75, see Murray Collection Catalogue, 60-61; DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 114; James Stuart, Historical Memoirs of the City of Armagh (2nd edition, 1900), 396-7;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 97-98,99.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CASTLE DILLON (ARMAGH)
Date: 1782a
Nature: Stables, for Sir Capel Molyneux, by TC.
Refs: Anne Crookshank, Desmond Guinness, James White, Irish Houses and Landscapes [1963], 35, citing European Magazine I, (1882), ?; illus. in www.ehsni.gov.uk/county_armagh.pdf (2008);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),  526-7.

Building: ?, ?, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1783
Nature: Design by TC for 'Mr Garnot' (perhaps Francis Garnett, curate and rector of various parishes in Diocese of Cashel & Emly)
Refs: Drawing(s) among Normanton papers in Hampshire Record Office, 21M57/B14/26-9.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TEMPLEMORE, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1783
Nature: Design by TC for Rev. Harry Meggs Graves
Refs: Drawing(s) signed and dated Sept 1783 in Normanton Papers, Hampshire Record Office, 21M57/B14/26-9.

Building: CO. LOUTH, BARONSTOWN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1783
Nature: Standard TC design but probably carried out by Francis Johnston
Refs: Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 348

Building: CO. LOUTH, BALLYMAKENNY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1784ca
Nature: Design attr. to TC but building carried out by F. Johnston
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection nos. 102-105; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 184; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 500; D. Griffin & S. Lincoln, Drawings from the Irish Architectural Archive (1993), 38(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, YARNHALL STREET, NO. 001 (LINEN HALL)
Date: 1784ca
Nature: Enlarged by TC. Rusticated granite entrance arch facing Yarnhall Street.
Refs: Drawing for stone gate by TC among Linen Hall drawings in NLI, PF 21(illus. in The Architecture of Dublin in Drawings and Paintings (National Gallery of Ireland, 1975), no. 20); part elevation in NLI, AD 1784; JHCI 10, ccccxvi (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); PRONI D207/28/672 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Maurice Craig, Dublin 1660-1860 (revised edition, 1992), 197; survey plans by Edward Parke, 1816, in IAA, Acc.; 2002/185  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 232.

Building: CO. LOUTH, ROKEBY HALL (DUNLEER)
Date: 1785ca
Nature: Begun to designs of TC but supervised by Francis Johnston after TC's death, for Richard Robinson, Archbishop of Armagh.
Refs: Drawings in NLI, A.D. 1906-1908,1911,3416,3527; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 465-6 (Pl. 80)

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, CASTLE STREET, COUNTY GAOL (OLD)
Date: ?
Nature: 'handsome new Gaol…lately erected by Mr Cooley (much on the plan of our Dublin Gaol)''
Refs: L. Price, ed., An Eighteenth Century Antiquary: The sketches, notes and diaries of Austin Cooper (1759-1830 (1942), 16

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, EMLY, DEANERY
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Information from Roger Hill

Building: ENGLAND, GREAVE HALL (YORKSHIRE)
Date: ?
Nature: Gates, for John Holroyd. Design attr. to TC.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NLI, Farnham Collection (sold at auction by HOK Fine Art, 17 Jun 2004, Lot 273)

Building: CO. MEATH, HEADFORT
Date: ?
Nature: Gates in demesne wall attr. to TC
Refs: Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993),, 315

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CABINTEELY HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Attributed to TC in article on his works in Dublin, 1890
Refs: Architect 44, 18 Jul 1890, 35

Author Title Date Details
Anon. 'Anecdotes of the Fine Arts in Ireland: Mr Thomas Cooley' 1793 Anthologia Hibernica (July 1793), 35-6.
Thorpe, Ruth 'Thomas Cooley before the Dublin Royal Exchange' 2005 Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 8 (2005), 71-85.