COLCLOUGH, NOBLE CHARLES LETTE
- Born: 1847 Died: 1880
Civil engineer and architect, of Dublin. Noble Colclough, eldest son of John Colclough, coachbuilder of Duke Street, Dublin, and his wife Elizabeth (née Austin) was born in Dublin in 1847.(1) Details of his training are not known, but in 1865 a set of seven drawings by him of Christ Church cathedral, Dublin,(2) received a commendation at the annual prizegiving of the Royal Institute of British Architects.(3) A long letter from him on the subject of the ruins of Athenry Abbey was published in the Tuam Herald of 5 April 1873 and in 1876 he prepared a report on the suitability of Galway harbour as a terminus for transatlantic packet steamers.(4) A perspective view of his design for Firmount, Naas, Co. Kildare, a large gabled neo-Gothic house, appeared in the Irish Builder in March 1878.(5)
Noble Colclough died at the age of thirty-three on 21 June 1880 and was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery, Dublin.(6) He was married and had a son, Dudley, who was christened in St Mark's church, Dublin, on 30 August 1878,(7) and two daughters, one of whom predeceased him.(8) After his death his widow, Ellen, returned to live in her native county of Galway.(9) STEDMAN COLCLOUGH was one of his brothers.
Addresses: Glenville, Stillorgan Road, Donnybrook, 1865;(10) 29 Great Brunswick Street, 1876;(11) 53 Westland Row, 1878.(12)
(2) Art Journal (Jun 1866), 195 (information from Stuart Kinsella, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.
(3) Journal of Proceedings of the Royal Institute of British Architects, 1st series, 19 (Mar 5 1866), 1-2.
(4) Irish Times, 7 Apr 1876 (information from Stuart Kinsella, as above).
(5) IB 20, 1 March 1878, 71.
(6) Irish Times, 23 Jun 1880, 1.
(7) Irish Genealogy, church records.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited, Jan 2012.
(8) Information sent to Stuart Kinsella by Gay Conroy, great-great-grandniece of Noble Colclough, Feb 2012.
(9) See note 8, above and Irish census returns for 1901 and 1911.
(10) See note 2, above.
(11) See note 5, above.
(12) See note 6, above.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for COLCLOUGH, NOBLE CHARLES LETTE
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, FIRMOUNT (NAAS)|
|Nature:||Proposed Neo-Gothic house.
|Refs:||IB 20, 1 Mar 1878, 71(illus.)|