Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Church decorators and stained-glass artists, of Regent Street, London. The partnership of John Richard Clayton (1827-1913) and Alfred Bell (1832-1895) was formed in 1857 with the purpose of improving stained glass design. From 1861 onwards Clayton & Bell manufacured their own windows, as well as murals and mosaics. The firm, which had three hundred employees by the late 1860s, survived the deaths of the two founders and continued to operate until the 1980s.

There are a number of stained glass windows by Clayton & Bell in Ireland, and J.R. Clayton is presumably the 'Mr Clayton' who executed some of the decorative painting in St Bartholomew's Church, Ballsbridge, Dublin, to designs by THOMAS MANLY DEANE  THOMAS MANLY DEANE in 1878.(1)

See WORKS, for Irish work only.



References

Information about the firm of Clayton & Bell is from GroveArt, the website of the Grove Dictionary of Art on www.artnet.com.

(1) Kenneth Milne, St Bartholomew's: a history of the Dublin parish (1963), 105.


26 work entries listed in chronological order for CLAYTON & BELL *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRIDGE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1857p
Nature: New E window to design by William Slater in memory of Augustus O'Brien Stafford. Cost £388. W window to design by William Slater in memory of Sir Matthew Barrington
Refs: M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 601-603

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL CLOSE, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1858; 1860
Nature: Stained glass memorial windows in S aisle in memory of Rev. Richard Allott, 1858, and Rev. Cosby Stopford Mangan, 1860.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 5 Apr 1860; DB 2, 1 May 1860, 259; Bassett's Guide to Co. Armagh (1888), 81;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3407/ (last visited Jan 2014).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ARDAMINE (GOREY), CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1859;1860;1864
Nature: Chancel windows by C & B, 1860. Also eastmost windown in S wall of nave, 1864, and westmost window in north wall, 1859.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/2907/ (last visited, Dec 2016).

Building: CO. CAVAN, KILMORE (CAVAN), CATHEDRAL OF ST FETHLIMIDH (CI)
Date: 1860;1867ca
Nature: 2 double lancet stained glass windows in S aisle: mermorial to Cosby Young, 1860, and Raising of Lazarus window, 1867ca.  Both designed by John Richard Clayton.
Refs: B.H. Blacker, Sketches of Irish Churches (1871-73), No. 12: Kilmore Cathedral;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3056/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Building: CO. CAVAN, CAVAN, CHURCH (CI, URNEY PARISH)
Date: 1860ca
Nature: Quadruple-light stained glass window in S transept.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3088/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PATRICK STREET, ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1864-1865
Nature: Triple-lancet window (Praise of God through music) in Lady chapel in memory of John Smith, Doctor of Music.
Refs: DB 6, 15 Apr 1864, 70; David Lawrence, ‘Church of Ireland: The National Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Patrick, Dublin: Stained-Glass Windows' (RCB report, 2001), 39

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, CHAPEL (1787)
Date: 1865ca
Nature: Stained glass windows on right and left sides of E window in apse.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 398.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, JORDANSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1868
Nature: 4 stained glass windows in chancel depicting SS Patrick, Comgall, Brigid and Columba.
Refs: Irish Churchman 1, no. 8, 19 Sep 1868, 109;  B.H. Blacker, 'Sketches of Irish Churches' in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette  14, no. 152, 23 Nov 1872, 10;  Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 101(N2, illus.);  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3511/ (last visited, Jan 2017).

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, CLOGH, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1870ca
Nature: E window (Acts of Mercy). 'Salvaged from church in Co. Meath and re-ordered circa 1960 in memory of Elizabeth Forster (d. 1940)' (Gloine).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3288/ (last visited, Dec 2014).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHRISTCHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1870s
Nature: Windows in choir, transepts and baptistery executed by C & B.
Refs: William Butler, The Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity Dublin (1901), 28

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA, CHURCH (CI, LURGAN PARISH)
Date: 1876p
Nature: Triple lancet stained glass E window (Christ as Good Shepherd) in memory of Madeleine Crichton (who m. Hon. Charles Crichton in 1873 and d. 1876), daughter of 3rd Marquess of Headfort.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3079/ (last visited, Jan 2014);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 572.  

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BRIDGE STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1877-1880
Nature: Design for 5-light window in N transept (representing Sermon on the Mount illustrated by incidents in New Testament history) approved, 1877.  Placed in N transept, Dec 1879 or Jan 1880? Presented by Mrs Mark Maunsell in memory of her father Samuel Caswell. Cost abouit £500.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 220, Jul 1877, 221; 22, no. 2, 10 Jan 1880, 41 (which gives studio as' Heaton and Baynes';  illus. in Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3138/ (last visited, Nov 2015).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLYDE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW (CI)
Date: 1878
Nature: 'Mr Clayton' (possibly J.B. Clayton, senior partner of Clayton & Bell) executes some of interior decorative scheme to design by T.M. Deane.
Refs: Kenneth Milne, St Bartholomew's: a history of the Dublin parish (1963), 105

Building: CO. KILKENNY, STONEYFORD, CHURCH OF ST PETER (CI, ENNISNAG PARISH)
Date: 1878
Nature: E window by C & B. Designed by George Daniels.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3011/ (last visited, Dec 2016

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, MORTUARY CHAPEL
Date: 1878ca
Nature: Stained glass windows
Refs: Guide through Glasnevin (1879), 66; E. MacDowell Cosgrave & Leonard R. Strangways, Visitors’ Guide to Dublin and Neighbourhoods (Dublin & London, [1907]), 52.

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA, CHURCH (CI, LURGAN PARISH)
Date: 1881
Nature: New stained glass in E window (Christ as Good Shepherd).   'A hideous window of stained glass, of the wrst possible taste and execution' replaced by one supplied by Messrs. Clayton & Bell, Regent St. Gift of the Hon Charles Crichton.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no. 89, 10 Sep 1881, 626;  gLOINE, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3079/ (last visited, Sep 2016).

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNLEER, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1881
Nature: New stained glass E window. Gift of Lady Rathdonnell.
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23,  no. 99, 19 Nov 1881, 807 (but cf. Gloine).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, WHITEHOUSE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1882
Nature: Stained glass E window (Ascension) erected in memory of Rev. Robert Wintringham Bland (d.1880) and his wife Alicia
Refs: Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 24, no. 147, 21 Oct 1882, 754;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/window/16440/ (last visited, Apr 2017).

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, EMATRIS, CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST (CI)
Date: 1887
Nature: Double lancet window in S wall of nave in memory of Augusta, Countess of Dartrey.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3284/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Building: CO. DERRY, DRAPERSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI, BALLYNASCREEN PARISH)
Date: 1888
Nature: East windows in chancel (3-light) and South aisle (2-light). Reproductions of windows in Christ Church, Dublin.
Refs: Architect 40, 14 Dec 1888, 344 (information from David Lawrence, Gladestry, Powys, Jan 2011).

Building: CO. CAVAN, ASHFIELD, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1890
Nature: Triple lancet E window, 1890; single lancet in S wall of chancel, 1890; triple lancet in S transept, 1895.
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3067/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Building: CO. CAVAN, KINGSCOURT, CHURCH OF ST ERNAN (CI, ENNISKEEN PARISH)
Date: 1892
Nature: Triple lancet stained glass E window (Transfiguration) in memory of Mervyn Pratt of Cabra Castle (d. 1890).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3160/ (last visited, Jan 2014).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Stained-glass lancets representing Last Supper, Christ among the Doctors, and the Sermon on the Mount placed in chancel in memory of late Countess Fitzwilliam. Also lectern and chancel panelling.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 11 Jun 1898;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3032/ (last visited, Feb 20100.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ARKLOW, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (CI, KILBRIDE PARISH)
Date: 1899-1919;1931-32,1937
Nature: Series of 18 windows, for 5th Earl of Carysfort (1836-1909, Col. Douglas Proby (1856-1931) and others. E & W windows executed by 1899.   All windows up to 1917 designed by George Daniels for Clayton & Bell. Also mosaic behind altar and opus sectile Ten Commandments, Apostles' Creed and Lord's Prayer to l. and r. of altar.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 24 Jun,21 Aug 1899, 2 May 1908, 26 May 1917, 4 Oct 1919;  IB 41, 15 Sep 1899, 129; Lesley Whiteside, St Saviour's Church, Arklow (St Saviour's. Arklow, 1997), 7-13(illus.);  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/building/building/2930/ (last visited Oct 2009);  exterior and mosaic behind altar illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 299.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1902
Nature: 2 windows in N transept (Shepherds worshipping & Adoration of the Magi) erected in memory of William thomas Spencer Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 6th Earl Fitzwilliam (d.1902).
Refs: Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3032/ (last visted, Feb 2010).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, SHILLELAGH, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1909
Nature: Stained-glass window (Christ with Martha) erected in memory of late Mrs Brooke by her husband, Mr Frank Brooke.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter, 18 Sep 1909;  Gloine, http://www.gloine.ie/gloine/diocese/building/3032/ (last visited, Feb 2010).